Marantz PM-94 Integrated (late 80's vintage)

Ray Garrison

I just got an immaculate PM-94 off EBay. I've been using it for about a week now, and I can say without doubt this is, by far, the best amp I've ever paired with any of my Klipsch speakers. Those of you that've suffered through my posts over the past 8 or 9 years know I've tried a wide variety of amps (Rotel, Krell, Golden Tube Audio, Jolida, Acurus, B&K, Adcom, NAD, Nikko, too many others to mention) and of all of them, a little Rotel RA-830BX2 sounded better with my La Scalas and CF-4 than anything else I tried, though it was kind of humbled by the CF-4. Well, the Marantz just absolutely blew the Rotel out of the water.

Combine the bass depth and tonality of a (smallish) Krell (KAV series) with the midrange of the Golden Tube SE-40 and the imaging capability of the Acurus (without the steely high end) and you get the PM-94. 50+ pounds, 100 watts/8 ohms 200 watts/4 ohms biased so first 25% output runs in full Class A, entire chassis copper, MOS-FET outputs, separate bass / treble / left / right tone controls with a CD-direct mode to totally bypass them, two phono inputs (haven't tested those yet, reputation is very good). Reputation is it runs *very* hot, but with mine out in the open with adequate ventilation that's not really the case. Very warm, fur sure, but not so hot you can't put your hand on the grill work over the heatsinks.

There have been 3 of these on EBay in the past couple of months, in varying conditions, so if you're looking for an integrated amp and are willing to buy used, I can't recommend keeping an eye out for one of these highly enough.

Websites are here and here and here and here's a picture:

pm-94-interior.jpg

Edit: I have no idea why the stupid picture won't show up - appears when I edit post sometimes, sometimes not, doesn't seem to show up with I, uh, post the post. Here's the url if you want to see what it looks like:

http://www.quarter-a.netfirms.com/pm-94-interior.jpg

That's terrific Ray. Ain't it sweet when you finally find out you are where you want to be.

Any of that SS grain in that puppy? I ask because they tell me the really good Ss stuff doesn't have it, but I've never heard any of the real top end SS stuff.

Ray......The Marantz looks sweet!! Quite a few months ago, I was eyeballin a PM-7001 integrated......Read some very good reviews on it and for $599.00 it was tempting. I ended up scoring a model 3600 preamp for $300.00............built like a rock and sounds excellent.........I never looked back.

Marantz and Klipsch......[Y][Y]

bump

Just a note... I've had some more time to listen to music with this amp, and I can honestly say that this is the *best* amp I have ever heard combined with Klipsch speakers. It's been way under the radar from my perspective, but if you are looking for a good integrated for a two channel system, this just obliterates everything else I've ever had the chance to try out. My CF-4 have never sounded so good. Loud bodacious rocking out high SPL slamming sound, or late at night quiet Famous Blue Raincoat listening to Jennifer and Leonard, whatever, they sound better than they've ever sounded before.

That is a "modern" amp. I'm only familiar with the older stuff. I have owned several pieces of Marantz equipment, and it has all been top notch.

For info on pre 80 Macintosh equipment this is a good site: (Won't let me paste), but if you Google-Classic Audio, it will come up.

I am using a 1978 Marantz 2252B to drive two pair of Cornwalls. I don't have anything to compare it with, but in my humble opinion - sweet!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...