Lake Michigan Circle Tour - by motorcycle :) Anyone wanna go?

Guest srobak

Guest srobak

Planning to leave Thursday night, June 12 from Chicago and make it to Green Bay. The rest of the trip will be done in daylight, returning back to Chicagoland by 6pm on Sunday. Have 5 bikes going so far - mixture of sport, sport-tour, and cruisers. You are welcome to join in for all/part of the ride but will need to rsvp by the 3rd weekend of May so we can nail down hotel reservations. Total trip costs including gas, food and hotel should be under 250. Thursday night lodging will be provided, as will Friday lunch. Most of the trip will be off interstate, and within sight of Lake Michigan or Lake Superior shoreline. This is a cruise, not a race, and riders who act like tools will be excused from the group without prejudice.

Map with points of interest, turns, bike shops, hotels, scenic overlooks, possible stops. If intererested, pm or email me for more details. Trip as shown is approximately 1100 miles, and there are 2 sections which could be cut out to save up to 250 miles if necessary.

Posted Image

• Klipsch Employees

Tim,

My first "big bike" was the GS-850-GL-T. T=1980 , GL = gear drive L sytle. Same block as your bike with shorter stroke and bore.

The owner of the shop I worked for in 1980 got one of the first katana. I remember the first time I got to ride it. I came back and told them they could have it back. I didn't want to ride it again. Stright was fine, even at 130 + mph, but I didn't like turning on it. I know, that's what it does best, but not with me riding it.

I will stick with the L style...I do have problems with them as well... I keep draging the pipes.;)

Guest srobak

No incarnation of the Katana (canned tuna) has turned worth a spit. Balance, handling, and overall safety has been horrible across the board on those as far back as I can remember. The GSXR's on the otherhand were a much different animal. Much better frame and steering geometry, and with some from the mid-late 80s and into the late 90s - lowest handle-bar position and most forward riding position of most of the sportbikes - it would swallow turns and corners like a child eating a pail of ice-cream - even the beastly (and hot) 1100. GSXR's have always been fantastic machines, once differentiated from the Katana. In 93 while looking to upgrade from a 600 I almost bought a new Gixxer 750 after having a great ride on one - but then had the chance to ride the then world champ ZX-7 (aka ZXR750), and it felt like it was built for me. It too would carve like a pizza cutter thanks to low, wide bars and a very forward & aggressive riding position. That night I took a new one home... limited edition even (see picture - stock paint). I so do miss that bike.

Posted Image

My first bike. 1981 yamaha 1100 midnight special. I was 23, single, in the army. When I wasn't doing the Macom/Atalnta/Savana stretch, I was doing long hauls to NYC (1200 miles each way).

post-22082-13819366879322_thumb.jpg

My current bike. Another 1100. I own it and it's paid for, but I havn't taken her for a ride yet. It's been 20 years since I have been on a bike, and I need to get my license upgraded.

That lake Michigan trip is probably out of my league. I need to start small, like around the block a few times.

post-22082-13819366879572_thumb.jpg

My first motorcycle; got it in 1982. The metal gas tank was not very comfortable when coming to an abrupt stop. [+o(]

bikepics-157318-800.jpg

and the bike I learned to ride on at my uncle's farm in the summer. The oversized tires made it a great starter bike.

bikepics-443846-full.jpg

Guest srobak

My first powered 2 wheeler as a kid was one of those 5hp Briggs & Stratton things. Rigid, no suspension, fat tires... lots of fun as a kid - albeit hot and noisy. Then I had a 70cc Yammi enduro, a couple of sub 150cc dirt bikes, Honda 125 3-wheeler then a quad... then in 92 I picked up my first street bike - a Ninja ZX6 (600cc), and 6 months later traded it in on the 93 ZX7 (750cc) which I bought new. Had that for quite a while until my 98 ZX9 (900cc) which I still have, and most recently the Honda ST1300. Next up... Goldwing 1800... probably within 2 years.

Tom, anyone - you are welcome to join in... will be a good ride. I have done most of it before, and it is a very scenic ride along the water. :)