The only constant is change

Wardsweb

What's in the speaker cabinets Luther?

JBL 2235H bottom end, Altec 802-8G driver on a 511B horn and a JBL 077 slot tweeter. Cabinets are baltic birch and mdf. The sides are four layes of kerf mdf, filled with glass beads. The internal bracing is CNC machined baltic birch. The insides are sprayed with dampening material and lined with fibeglass batting. They weight in around 300# each.

diyinside.jpg

Very nice work thier Mr. Wardsweb, I'm sure they sound as good as they look. Excellent choice in drivers. Glad you like the Shanling products, I'm thinking they were one of the first of the new geberation Chinese amps but then I'm so far behind in audio these days[:$]

Rack looks solid and as with your speakers I would just love to hear that entire setup. First rate looking kit and the blue backdrop lighting just rocks[Y]

I'm sure Mark's phono pre is a fine partner for that champion II with arm to die for. As with so many other fine rigs and pieces you have posted I am in awe of so many fine pieces being listened too[:D]

To coin a Jack Bart phrase "Top Notch"

.........and what a change it is[;)]

So Luther, how would you compare your DIY's up next to those Altec 7's? They sure are purtyBig Smile

The DIY speakers are better and should be, as they were purpose built to be better. The Altec A7 Voice of the Theater is a great speaker but because it was not designed for near field listening it can be improved on. The bass fold on the A7 is between 13 and 15 feet. Most people don't have rooms large enough to allow that, so the was good but not great in my living room. Also, I like highs, the "sizzle", if you will, that the 511B/802-8G combination can't deliver. So, my DIY speakers were built to remove this faults. The bottom end now is awesome. I've been asked where the sub is. To which I reply, "there is no sub." The sweet mids are there with the large 511B horn and now with the addition of the 077 tweeter, I have my "sizzle." I couldn't be happier. To find anything close in the manufactured world that was to my liking, they were approaching $20K.