My organ is bigger than yours...

Mallette

Wanamaker organist Peter Richard Conte today confirmed plans to double the size of the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ, now located in Macy’s flagship department store in Philadelphia. Already the world’s largest musical instrument, the new additions will substantially increase the tonal resources available to the talented Wanamaker organist.

John Bishop confirmed that Macy’s had purchased The Organ Clearinghouse’s entire collection of used organs and pipework to enable the expansion. In the future, the organist can not only select not a wide range of stops, but also a wide range of organ builders. “You could play an entire piece on just Austin, Moller or Skinner pipes,” quipped Conte.

Macy’s reportedly made the acquisition on reports that Nordstrom’s was getting a pipe organ for its Seattle store.

From today's The Gothic Catalog [Loft-Gothic@loftrecordings.com]

The mind boggles...

Dave

What? Does Conte not have enough of an instrument to play already? Does he really need to double the 462 ranks already in place?[:o]

Actually, it's a cool idea...if they can actually add complete instruments to the existing organ. And since all three manufacturers are now defunct (Austin was the latest to go under a few years ago, with Moller several years before, and Skinner in the '70s), it'd be an excellent representation of some of America's greatest organ manufacturers under one roof.

I wonder if they'll have any space available for another addition...I'd love to see a complete set of Cavaille-Coll ranks added! This 19th century French builder designed some of the grandest reed choruses ever conceived for the instrument. Cavaille-Colls were the epitome of "symphonic" organs...listen to any recording of the famed Notre-Dame Cathedral (Paris) instrument to hear what I mean, especially at grande tutti![8]

The Organ Historical Society's Organ Clearinghouse has a vast inventory of used organs at their disposal...I can't imagine Macy's purchasing the entire lot, unless they picked through 'em and chose only the best selections...it does boggle the mind!

• 2 weeks later...