PS3 to decode DTS-HDMA next week!

damonrpayne

I just tried I AM LEGEND on blu ray with my PS3. It has a TrueHD track on it, but all I was getting was PCM 5.1. I think the ps3 decodes it internally then my onkyo gets it as a PCM track. but only 48khz?

Dolby TrueHD can go UP TO 96khz, in 24bit. Some moves are going to be in 48khz at 16bit. But you still getting a Dolby TrueHD, I get that same reading with 300 in TrueHD. VERY FEW titles are availabe in 96khz for blu ray. I beleive you might have the newer onkyo receiver which can decode the new audio formats. With the PS3, it can only decode it internally and not send it as a bitstream. But either way you still get lossless sound, not to mention the new DTS HD MASTER AUDIO update for ps3.

but i think my understanding is that with the ps3, it decodes it, then sends it as PCM. so basically you are still getting the package, the ps3 is just opening it for you before my onkyo 605 does.

Correct, i have a Denon Reciever and doesnt have the new lossless audio option. But my receiver does have the HDMI 1.1 so it can receive any lossless audio as long as the player decodes it itself. Basically with your 605, its only recieves it as a PCM, thus will never display DTS HD MASTER or TRUEHD on your receiver, unless it is being sent as a bitstream, which the PS3 cannot do (maybe in the future), but it wouldnt matter if it did, you still getting the lossless sound

Correct, it doesn't matter. If the sound went bitstream to your receiver the first thing it would do is convert it to LPCM and then start doing it's DSP work. People are used to seeing the codec logo light up on their receiver so it takes some getting used to.

For those wondering if the firmware 2.30 for dts hd-master audio worked. It does. You check it in two ways. Pop in a DTS HD MASTER AUDIO movie and play it. Press the select and it should display the info on what the movie is playing in. There it should say DTS HD master 5.1 or 7.1. The second way is to pop in a 7.1 DTS HD MASTER movie in. When you do your receiver will display LPCM, PCM, Multi Channel In, etc, (depending on what receiver you have). When the movie is playing your receiver (depending on make and model)will display 7 channel input vs. 5 channel input. and some receiver with small speaker display on the receiver will light up all 7 speakers. PLEASE NOTE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A HDMI 1.3 TO RECEIVER AUDIO. YOU NEED A 1.1 and ABOVE AND A RECEIVER TO ACCEPT AUDIO THROUGH HDMI, thus you do not have to purchase a receiver that has the new audio decoding as it wouldn’t be used, the PS3 decodes it fro you. I HAVE a DENON 2307 1.1 HDMI. Here are the pics to prove it.

CLICK ON THE LINKS TO VIEW PICTURES!

Rush Hour 3 Before 2.30 update, its on dts master audio option. i only get dts 5.1 core

Posted Image

Denon 2307 1.1 HDMI receiver getting 5.1

Posted Image

Rush Hour 3 after 2.30 update, its on dts master audio option, FINALLY I CAN HEAR DTS 7.1

Posted Image

Denon 2307 getting 7.1

Posted Image

This update does not have any benefits if you are using the optical out on the PS3, correct? My pre does not have an HDMI input on it so I'm taking the hdmi from the PS3 directly to my projector and using the optical out to my pre. I will need to upgrade my pre in order to take full advantage of the HD sound as I understand it.

I rewatched Live Free Die Hard yesterday. I dont know if I heard a difference in DTS-MA, but it still sounded freaking amazing. Really great demo stuff and its visually pleasing too, just dont look for much of a movie(I mean Bruce Willis jumps on a fighter jet, rediculous), haha.