Need help picking/matching speakers...

yamahaSHO

Howdy, I've got a chance to get Klipsch speakers at half price (not all of their lineup, but a good chunk of it). The place I'm getting them from does not carry the original speakers I was looking at (RF-52), so now I'm trying to build a system. I have sold most of my old setup, but kept a set of RB-51's that I'll use for the rear (pick up another set for surrounds).

For the fronts L/R, I have been considering either the RB-61's or RF-62's. According to Klipsch, the matching center for the RB-61's is the RC-52 and for the RF-62's the matching center is the RC-62. To me, it seems like the RC-62 should be matched with either of these. I like the idea of the floor standing speakers with the larger center, however, Klipsch recommends the RW-12d instead of the 10" version. I'm not sure I want or even need the 12" version.

Anyway, my thoughts are of the following:

Front L/R – RB-61

Center – RC-52

Rear/Surround – RB-51 x4

Sub – RW-10d

or

Front L/R – RB-61

Center – RC-62

Rear/Surround – RB-51 x4

Sub – RW-10d

or

Front L/R – RF-62

Center – RC-62

Rear/Surround – RB-51 x4

Sub – RW-10d

or

Front L/R – RF-62

Center – RC-62

Rear/Surround – RB-51 x4

Sub – RW-12d

Any thoughts? If I want them, I have to get them tomorrow, so quick help is appreciated.

• Moderators

I guess it depends on your budget. I would recommend the RF-62's over the bookshelves. Most people will tell you to get the best center channel and the best sub you can afford when dealing with HT. Think of the RW-12d in terms of headroom. It is always a good idea to have more than you need in a HT. This allows the amps to run cooler, speakers to sound cleaner and not have to work as hard to produce the same volume. I listened to the RW-12d (granted it was at Best Buy) and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. To me, it was not able to keep up with the RF-82's they had it paired with. With that in mind, Klipsch does recommend the RSW-10d with the RF-82's and that might be why. It's your call. You can always upgrade your sub later if the 12d doesn't fit into your budget.

Half price? Can you get Heritage speakers? Have you heard of a speaker called the Klipschorn Jubilee? [;)]

As for subs, if both subs have the same amplifier in them, a sub with a 10-inch driver could have a faster, more musical, response than one with a 12-inch driver. I'm using a Paradigm PW-2100, which has a 400-watt amp and a 10-inch driver. It easily keeps up with my JubScalas, which are driven by a pair of high-power amps.

• Moderators

As stated before, don't skimp on your center. It is one of the most critical pieces in your HT. Most of the information will be sent to the center so it needs to be the best you can afford and one that is timbre matched to your front speakers.

I bought the RW-12d a few months back and have been pretty happy with it. I put it in a smaller room size (<250') and it shakes everything and think that I should have gone with the RW-10d. I mostly watch movies with it but I put it in a bigger room (~500') to see how it sounded with watching TV and was not satisfied. It was way too much bass, even with it turned down. But if you plan to watch mostly TV with it, the KSW12 (though not the reference series) can be turned all the way up and does not over power your other speakers and it sounds OK with music.

For TV: May not recommend the 10d or 12d.

For Movies/Music: I would say for a room less than 400, buy the 10d; otherwise buy the 12d.

The RC-62 sounds amazing to say the least. Hardly even comparable to the RC-52. The center speaker is going to make all the difference.

Buy the tower speakers. The bigger the better in this case (as long as you have room for them). You will probably never going to say " I wish I would have bought the smaller speakers".

• Moderators

I'm not trying to match an RC-52 with and RF-62.... I'm wondering if the RC-62 will be a better match for the RB-61's

Sorry, I thought I read RB-62's and since Klipsch does not make an RB-62, I assumed you meant the RF-62. The RC-52 is recommended for the RB-61's. I'm assuming the RC-62 is not voice matched with the RB-61's but someone else would have to verify that.

Welcome to the forum Chestin! I agree with him, go with the RF-62's and don't look back. With that, you will be able to get the RC-62 and know that it is voice matched to them.

Let's say I go with the RF-62's (with RC-62), would the amp I was planning on purchasing do the trick (Yamaha RX-V863) be sufficient?

With the above setup, I am still torn on the sub. I currently do not know what size my room is going to be as we are looking into houses for when we move in June. The house we are currently looking at has a decent sized finished basement with bar. I'm planning on going with a Epson 1080UB projector for my setup. It'll be 50% movies, 40% games, 8% music, and 2% TV/sports. So, it would be between the RW-10d and RW-12d. Would the 10d be able to keep up?

The Yamaha receiver should run that system with no problems at all. Also if I may, I recommend that you save some bucks and only go 5.1 and use only 1 set of the RS 52'S for your (side) rear speaker setup. As others have said, get the best speaker you can afford, and make sure that the Center matches with your Main speakers upfront...............Good Luck and Post Pics when you get setup.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-62-home-theater-system.aspx

It will be 7.1... The theater is going to be setup that way with this in mind. I can afford the RF-62 package, I'm just trying to make sure it is going to be worth the extra cost. There wouldn't be much point in buying the RS-52's for surrounds when I already own a pair of RB-51's that I was planning on using.

I think I'll go with the the RF-62 setup after all.

Pictures will be a while off... I'm not moving until June and I'm picking this stuff up now as I can get it for so cheap.

Thanks for the help fellas. I put my order in with my buddy and later today I'll have a new set of RF-62's, RC-62, and RW-12d for a total of $975 + tax. I'll be using my RB-51's as surrounds and will later pick up another set of RB-51's for rears.

In a few weeks, I'll pick up the Yamaha RX-V863 for about $500 from the same guy. All-in-all... It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I can't complain about the price as I will not want to upgrade speakers for probably 10 years or more (receiver/amp is a different story).

I don't think I'll be dissappointed!