Jubilee dudes...

Coytee

Would someone do me a favor for Bob (Damato). Seems I'm doing something wrong or have the wrong tool.

He asked me to take my ohm meter to the terminals of my bass bins and get the DCR (if I recall his term correctly)

I did it last night and my Ohm meter only shows the needle FAR left (open circuit) or FAR right (closed). Now, on the Ohm setting, it does have a "x1000" on it so maybe it's taking the reading and multiplying it by 1,000 for all I know (I'm a dummy)

Can someone grab this number for me or send it directly to Bob??

If it helps, my V/O meter is a little $10 radio shack special

Coytee, try setting the meter to x10 or x100, or whatever the lowest scale is. If you're using the x1000 ohms setting (meaning the scale goes up to 1000 ohms) and the reading is 8 ohms, for example, the needle will barely move, so it'll look like the reading is zero.

Ohm meters are a bit like SPL meters, in that they have a selection of scale ranges and you have to pick the range that will keep the expected reading away from either end of that range, not too high and not too low.

I can't help with measureing my home made types. The woofers are different than the real McCoys.

Your problem with the VOM probably arises from lack of calibrating the ohm setting. This procedure should be described in the manual.

Basically: Set the meter to ohms and Rx1. Touch the probes together. Hold them together, one set of fingers is all that is needed. Then use the adjustment knob so that the vane (needle) is set to zero (0) ohms. This adjustment is necessary to compensate for variation in the voltage of the internal battery which is used to apply current to the device under test. Check instructions. You should do this for other scales but that is not your problem.

Now you should be able to use the meter to test your speaker.. It may be that this puts the meter close to the edge of the scale. My guess is that it will read somewhere around 4 ohms. Maybe less.

Incidentally, if you have the meter set to Rx10 or Rx100, or Rx1000, all readings from the scale must be multiplied in your head by those factors. If you try to measure 4 ohms on the Rx10 scale, the vane will sit on 0.4 ohms. On the Rx100 scale, it will sit on 0.04 ohms. Both of these are very close to zero and thus impossible to read accurately.

Gil

He asked me to take my ohm meter to the terminals of my bass bins and get the DCR (if I recall his term correctly)

DCR= (After allowing for .3 ohm for the meter leads of my meter ie: 3.1 ohm - .3 ohm = 2.8 ohm) I read 2.8 ohm with both drivers in parallel and 5.7 ohm if you unhook and measure for a single driver.

mike tn[:)]