the Straight Dope on bass physics

Daddy Dee

""Why is the bottom end of the music spectrum so boomy and annoying? Can anything be done to block the sound?""

Well it's annoying becuase we are decendents of folks who heard and ran rather than heard and listened more. Out on the savana grass lands a boomy bass sound meant a heard of something large was headed your way. The decendents of folks that enjoyed this boomy sound are not here today....they got run over by the heard. Those that found it annoying ran for cover to higher ground and thier decendents remain annoyed with boomy bass. Today this booming sound still creates a sense of needing to run...to the dance floor and bogie.

So just to make sure... Since I heard the herd, and knew that the approaching herd that I heard was approaching and I could get hurt, I herded up my family herd to avoid the big herd that I heard before I was hurt by that herd?Wink

So you herded up your horde to hie them to their humble habitation, far from the hooves of the humongous hurtling herd? Had the honcho himself not heard the hullabaloo, who knows but his hereditary hominid horde might have heard their last hurrah. And been heedlessly hammered into the humid humus.

How humiliating... 'Twould have been a dire, depressing, destiny for your dynasty.

Stop me, someone!