Question on a 7.1 Reicever

cruzin4life

If i got a full 7 channel reciever would i be able to opt to instead of using the side surround or back surround.... and "tell" it to send the same signal the main left and right get? If ony has an idea or seen anything like it please help me out. i would looking at a 980 watt yamaha but, i was unsure if the firm ware would would allow such a routing of the signals... any info or models or a spesific name of a feature would be greatly spreaciated. Trying to geta decent amount of power for KG 4s KG 2.5s for main left right KG 1s and 1.5s rear surround....Think little bose cubes only klipsch bookshelf speakers.

• Moderators

I have seen in the forums that some have used their rear speaker outputs to bi-amp their front speakers. I don't believe this increases the power to them, it just provides a separate amp for the highs and lows of your main speakers. I do not think this is what you are trying to achieve though. If you need more power, you might want to consider adding a separate 2 channel amp to them if your receiver has pre-outs for an external amp.

With most AV receivers, other than fairly high-end ones, the total power is a bit of a fiction. 140 watts x 7 channels doesn't equal 980 watts if all are driven at the same time.

The power supply seems to be the bottleneck. You may get only 70 watts per channel when driving all 7 channels.

However, when driving only 2 channels, you may get well over 140 watts to those 2 channels. When driving 2 channels, it may put out not 140 watts, but more like 190 or 200 watts. The good thing is that Klipsch speakers don't need huge amounts of power to play loud enough for most people.

If after listening for a while, you decide you need still more power, it's easy to add a power amp, either stereo for just the main speakers, or multi-channel to drive all the speakers. It would be connected to the receiver's pre out connectors.

• Moderators

Yeah I thought some of the newer units could do that. But he's wanting to actually increase the wattage going to his front speakers and I don't think any of the receivers can do this. Separate amp is probably what he will have to do to get more juice to them.

If I'm reading correctly the OP is not asking about sending more power he is asking about sending the signal that the mains get to all channels. Yes it is possible and quite easy to do. When you are listening to music on a stereo or mono signal you switch the processor to 7 ch enhanced and it plays all 7 speakers. I prefer my 2 channel to come out of 2 channels but yes its possible.

• Moderators

would i be able to opt to instead of using the side surround or back surround.... and "tell" it to send the same signal the main left and right get...a decent amount of power for KG 4s KG 2.5s for main left right...

I don't think that is what he is trying to do. From what I can see, he wants to use the "power" from the side or back surrounds to boost the power to the front speakers.

Ok, we're confused. Are you wanting to route the power of the surround channels to the front? Or are you trying to route the 2 channel signal to all speakers?

If that is the case then yes it's easily done. As far as sending the power of the surrounds to the mains, the only thing I know like that is on Yamaha receivers that have a 2 zone option you can use the 2nd zone to bi amp the speakers in question. I've been told this really has little or no benefit. From what I've gathered, most receivers have a single power supply and route power to each channel as needed. The higher end units have seperate power supplies for each channel but your getting into some serious money.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a 5.1 system, but with a set of KG 4s and 2.5s for Main L/R. I am wanting to have one 7.1 unit drive all speakers but send the main L/R singnal to both. 5.1 Decoding but the spare two channels for rear not being used for the 2.5s getting main L/R signal. so im trying to turn a kg 4 and kg 2.5 into one speaker i guess withouth having to keep using two 5.1 recievers.