Members Weekly Music Recommendations-April 28

thebes

All right it's time to blatantly pander to the masses and offer up a Thebes kick butt rock and roll recommendation. Lots of folks to choose from but I think I know what you want. However, being Thebes I ain't about to do it without a little quirk thrown in.

Jimi Hendrix, "The Essential Jimi Hendrix", lp, rock

It's a compilation from good ole Reprise Records so it's not as good as the originals but pretty decent sounding just the same. As a best of it's got plenty of greats tunes including Hey Joe, Gloria, Fox Lady and one of my personal favorites, The Wind Crys Mary. It's worth picking up just for the story Les Paul tells on the back of trying to track him down to sign him after he did a walk-on gig in New York before he became famous.

So here's the quirk. Can it be. Can it be true that God Jimi himself did a limp sync show on Belgium tv without even plugging in his guitar? Say it ain't so but it sure looks like it. See this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Ebcx-mTns

So what do you have to share this week?

My friends and I wore out the grooves of our Rainbow Bridge lp in 1973. To us this was better than any other Hendrix, and I still think so. Your amazon link is for the movie of the same name; I am not sure that a CD of the RB lp is available, although some of the tracks appear on later repackaged collections. We saw this movie in '73 with, shall we say...appropriate pharmaceutical enhancement (we were 16-17 years old), and thought it was the most profound mind expanding movie we had ever seen. Not seen again until about 2003, when I bought the video on a lark. I watched it with one of those same friends, and we guffawed at the silliness of the hippie pseudo-philosophy. My favorite scene was the woman who was informing the other commune residents about her communications with the aliens: "What do they think of LSD?" "Oh, they approve of it." Haw-haw! Regardless, the music from the album Rainbow Bridge can almost trigger a nice flashback, and I endorse your recommendation.

Good stuff yes indeed! Like to see it again myself! There was a lot to keep up with back then and often time gems can be overlooked, or temorarily forgotten(amnesia?). Some of Hendrix's later and earlier, read not known yet, have all the best of class Hendrix style.

Speaking of remembering: *Curtis Knight Sings And Jimi Hendrix Plays*LP. Wonder if this can be had? Feathers were the thing then!

Sainkho Namtchylak

Album Stepmother City

This is a very weird one. A friend loaned it ot me. She is from Tuva also homeof the Tuvan throat singer. If you haven't heard them they are amazing. The influences on this is New Age, world music, Jazz, Nina Hagen, and ambience. It is weird pretty futuristic primeval avant garde strangness not for the faint of heart. I wouldn't say it is everyday listening but it she can be fun.

http://ethnotechno.com/sainkho_stepmothercity.php

31PYPN0F09L._SS500_.jpg

A review.

Sainkho Namtchylak
walks on the edges of life. It would be cliché to say she plays music
on the border between East and West, past and present. But she is one
of those artists that exist outside of categories. The same could be
said of any woman who combines Tuvan throatsinging, experimental jazz,
classical, electronica, and Buddhism. Then again, she is the only woman
on the planet that fits this description.

Her new album Stepmother City—to be released on Ponderosa Music by Harmonia Mundi in October 2002—demands to be seen from a spiritual perspective. The liner notes are the words of a Buddhist monk from the 5th
century BCE. The CD is embossed with a maze of roads whose existential
names like “Born to Discover” and “Your Inner Eyes” chart a city that
lies somewhere between the heart and the mind.

Already known as Tuva’s most celebrated female vocalist, Sainkho
takes her unique blend in a new direction. Transfixing audiences with
her astounding seven octave range, Sainkho uses songs like “Tuva
Blues,” “Let the Sunshine,” and “Lonely Soul” to explore lands that
live beyond the confines of the East and the West. Sainkho courses
between polar extremes, reflecting love and hostility. With her finely
crafted overtone singing, knowledge of Siberian folklore, shamanistic
ritual, and history in Russian folklore ensembles and free-jazz acts,
Sainkho juxtaposes traditional styles of her Tuvan ancestors with the
Western avant-garde, sailing from harmonious serenity to hissing,
trilling, and wailing.

Based in Vienna far from her beloved homeland Tuva, Sainkho sculpted Stepmother City
to reflect her ambivalent feelings about European metropoli. Calling
herself “first and foremost a woman from the Steppes,” Sainkho’s first
musical inspiration came from her nomadic grandmother, who would sing
lullabies for hours. She grew up in a culture where people just sing
when they feel like it—singing when they’re happy and singing when
they’re sad. Denied professional credentials from a local college where
her explorative nature led her toward forbidden male-dominated styles,
Sainkho transferred to Moscow where she discovered Russian
improvisation. She also studied vocal techniques of Siberian lamaistic
traditions.

Audiences are astounded by the diversity of sounds Sainkho can
produce with her voice, from operatic tenor to birdlike squawks, from
childlike pleas to soulful crooning; which at various moments elicit
comparisons to Zap Mama, Patti Smith, Billie Holiday, and Nina Hagen. Stepmother City
blends the sounds of electric guitars and loops with folk instruments
like the shakuhachi (a Japanese bamboo flute), doshpuloor
(three-stringed banjo), and igil (a Mongolian horse-head fiddle
connected with the spirit world), creating a synergistic blend of past
and present.

Sainkho claims that music and spirituality are related by desire, or
the tension that yells to reawaken people. Eager to take part in the
process of remembering what has been forgotten, Stepmother City
presents itself like a map, proposing routes to connect Western
physicality with Eastern spirituality. Its seductive beats and wild
vocals are sure to shock and inspire.

Hendrix, I'll do Mr. Jimi Hendrix anytime, the Original GUITAR SLINGER, everyone after him is not the same. A once in a lifetime Artist, that was with us, too short a time .......... can you just imagine Jimi alive, and playing today? ... We were cheated, but that's Rock and Roll ... EH !!!

THE CRY OF LOVE : JIMI HENDRIX ..................... CD .............................. 1971

This is without a doubt Jimi's finest work, in my opinion. The Cry of Love was released four months after Jimi's death, and remains one of his most personal and revealing pieces of work. Basic lineup of Jimi, Mitch Mitchell on Drums, Billy Cox on Bass, plus guests appearances from Steve Winwood & Chris Wood, and ol' Buddy Miles. It is a different Jimi, the songs have meaning, not just some song so Jimi can take off with his guitar and wow everybody, but down to earth meanings. Much like Sly Stone, Bob Marley, Santana, even Buddy Miles, put the color of a persons skin aside, and enjoy the music as ONE people, was a big message on this album. These guys understood the importance of everyone just getting along together, a message that could use some refreshing today. Listen to the Guitar, the man can make a Fender sing like no other can.There are no wasted notes on this disc, and the songs are well written, and some might even make you chuckle. Many overlook this album, and that's their loss, don't let it be yours, check 'er out, give it a listen, play a little air-guitar, it's ok, I won't tell ................ BELLY BUTTON WINDOW ................... Indeed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of remembering: *Curtis Knight Sings And Jimi Hendrix Plays*LP. Wonder if this can be had? Feathers were the thing then!

Believe it or not, that was the first Hendrix lp I owned, purchased by mistake, thinking it was mainstream JH. Wasn't into the soul R&B of Curtis Knight, so never listened more than once. This is a nostalgia thread indeed.

Believe it or not, that was the first Hendrix lp I owned, purchased by mistake, thinking it was mainstream JH. Wasn't into the soul R&B of Curtis Knight, so never listened more than once. This is a nostalgia thread indeed.

I can believe it! I stumbled upon it cause, it was those times and LP or 8track reel to reel was it for me. Guessing it can be had, maybe you still have yours. If I had an the LP's I had at diff. times, well suffice to say it would be nice.