Question about amps...

Jordan

Are Crown amps any good? They seem to offer alot of power for not alot of money. They are the rack mountable amps, for pro audio. I am asking about these: http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm

How would they compare to amps made for home theater use, such as an Emotiva XPA-5?

I ask because I was doing some reading over on the AVS forums, and someone was asking about how to power their pair of RF-7's and someone recommended Crow XLS series and I thought these were meant for stuff like DJ and concert use.

I don't know all their models. I've personally heard the Xti on some Jubilees and thought it sounded pretty darn good. There are others who say the Xti series sounds like (or is) no more than a PA amp and not designed/intended for home use.

I own two K2's and I like them. Some others might not like them either suggesting that they are nothing more than PA amps also and not designed/intended for home use.

So it would seem that some like them and some hate them. Probably be best if you could hear them for yourself or do what I did... buy one used & try it out. If you like it, keep it and if not, sell it with no or minimal loss.

Too bad you're not near Athens/Atlanta or you could go check out mine which is on loan while I'm gone.

If you want a Crown amp you can get a new XLS 202 200 watts per channel 8 ohms at proaudiomart on Ebay for $199. plus $29. shipping via Fed Ex it is a B stock but new amp warranty and the seller has a %100 feedback with 14,879 sales and is a authorized Crown dealer.They also have the full line of XLS series if you need more power. [:D]

I will add I have the XLS 202 but have not taken out of the box yet as I have a Marantz PM-68 running my system.

I was checking out partsexpress.com and they have a 45 day return policy. So I could get a prosound amp and compare it to my Adcom and if it doesn't work out just send it back.

A lot of musicians do the same thing with Guitar Center, 30 day return policy. They carry XLS also.

I have an XLS 402 that I am using as a bass amplifier on polyamplified Khorns. The sound isn't bad, but the two cooling fans are LOUD. You will probably need to replace or muffle them somehow.

When I had the XLS 802's...........I put some clear transparent tape over the front grills. Poked about 1/3 as many holes in it so it could still ventilate.......it eliminated about 50% of the fan noise from the front.

The fan mods are simple........but the tape was simpler.[:D]

I went one step further and put some fabric about one foot behind the amp, up against the wall to dampen the fan noise that was reflecting off the wall. Again, simple yet very effective.

Since I got the XTI's........fan noise is not an issue........period.[:D]