It's like pulling teeth...

fini

OK, dagnabbit, I will.

I'd like to change the cable that connects my Ortofon RS-212 arm to the preamp (BBX). The Ortofon has an odd 7-pin jack, and though I do have the original jack, I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade it. I certainly could live with just upgrading the cable and RCA jacks, and reusing the 7-pin jack.

So, I'd like to know if anyone could suggest a good cable to use. I wouldn't mind going the DIY route.

OK, back to what you were doing. ;^)

OK, dagnabbit, I will.

I'd like to change the cable that connects my Ortofon RS-212 arm to the preamp (BBX). The Ortofon has an odd 7-pin jack, and though I do have the original jack, I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade it. I certainly could live with just upgrading the cable and RCA jacks, and reusing the 7-pin jack.

So, I'd like to know if anyone could suggest a good cable to use. I wouldn't mind going the DIY route.

OK, back to what you were doing. ;^)

Why? Cables are snake oil. IMO etc. I thought I covered this in Thebesis Pontificatus. Pay closer attention.

Actually if you want to upgrade, or the old one is just brittle it sounds like some sort of DIMM cable and your local guitar shop probably has them.

See if you can PIN (har, har) Duke down on this one.

i think you will find what will make the most difference is to clean, and retension the connectors to the cart ..

made a noticeable difference on my Empire 698, that i've had for 30 years

Good advice Dukestir.

However, my old 698 Troubadour might need a bit more work than that.[:$]

tc

post-13095-13819373442424_thumb.jpg

Part of how I make a living is recording audio for video. I started out using off the shelf cables but soon found my diy cables absolutely superior to what I could buy. For me, Canare or Mogami cable is the only way to go. Does it sound better than other cable? Don't know cause I don't hear cable. But it rejects spurious RF better than other cable without a doubt and it's much more flexible at low temperatures and THAT'S a big deal if you're coiling and uncoiling cables in driving rain with gloves on. My DIY interconnects for my home system consist of Canare Star Quad cable with Canare RCA plugs. You will not find better plugs than the $3.95 Canare gold plated RCA's but you can pay more. They are built like a tank and have a very high testosterone factor. They eat designer plugs for breakfast! The Star Quad cable is available in many many colors and I am a color code freak. Right channel is always red (Red for Right) and the left channel identify's the component. For example, left channel of my CD player is Violet, left channel of my turntable is Blue, Left channel of my preamp is Orange. For XLR plugs (ie. Canon) I use Neutrik because they can be disassembled by hand in the field to check for problems and they are very light and you can color code them via the strain reliefs. Markertek.com has had the best price on short lengths of Canare cable for a while and have the other parts as well. I use them and have been happy.

If you need more than 2 conductors, Canare makes a huge variety of cable with different conductor and shielding configurations. They also make "miniature" versions of a lot of their cabling for those tiny connectors. They are all over the web. Good luck!

Fini - Will you just get yourself one of these and stop asking questions!:

Much tracking error with that arm Kev?Surprise I thought the VPI 12.6 was long!

Good luck with your endeavor GregWink

IB, you actually posted that shotIndifferent LOL

Gosh Timmy, I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning. [:$]