Top 5 MID Drivers

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what your top 5 mid range compresssion drivers may be as opposed to say the K55 or Atlas driver. I haven't much experience with these and am looking to do some 'fiddling' with a speaker build project. Make and model and any other comments would be well received.

Love to hear from you

Thanks

You will only be able to get useful advice after you have told us the following:

1. Throat size of the horn

2. Expectations about how high in frequency you want to achieve (this can also influence the choice of material on the diaphragm)

3. Expectations about how low in frequency you want to go (if you want to go too low, it may raise issues about the steepness of the low pass section of the crossover and the longevity of the driver if it is pushed hard).

4. Expectations about price. Some of these can get quite pricey. If you opt for used equipment, then it is quite possible that diaphragms might need replacement and the drivers needing to be re-magnetized)

Good luck,

-Tom

Ok, at the risk of restricting input here goes:

1" or 2" (2" preferred), not fussy on material used (phenolic, foil, titanium etc), capable of going down to 300hz with a max to 7khz (3way) or 2 way from 500hz to 19khz. I really don't know price and prefer not to go new but knowing that a change out of diaphragm may be a possibility.

Thanks for the advice

The 300Hz is a tough one.

An Altec 290 series will go that low and it might also go high enough for you also (it will not be sufficient for a two-way however). It is a 1.4 inch throat (Altec 3 bolt pattern). These are older units and you can get them on eBay for roughly $200-300 apiece. Plan to spend some money on new diaphragms. You can contact Bill at Great Plains Audio. They can give advice on the diaphragm etc. They may even manufacture a clone of this.

Whether this is the "best" or not, I have no idea. Also keep in mind that the larger throats may show more beaminess at high frequencies. I have no idea what horn you intend to use.

If the criteria is 500 Hz then there are many more candidates.

Good Luck,

-Tom

There are several two inch drivers that will get low enough if used in a three way system.

JBL 2440

JBL 2441

JBL 2482

BMS 4591

If you want to go that low as a (sort of) two way system in a 2 inch driver, try the BMS 4592. It's actually a coaxial design and requires an external crossover to go from the mid to high.

1" or 2" (2" preferred), not fussy on material used (phenolic, foil, titanium etc), capable of going down to 300hz with a max to 7khz (3way) or 2 way from 500hz to 19khz. I really don't know price and prefer not to go new but knowing that a change out of diaphragm may be a possibility.

Why do you prefer used (possibly needing diaphragm replacement) over new, if new drivers are within your budget?

Anyway, lots of options here:
http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

Just click on "H.F. Drivers" at the left and you'll see a long list from many manufacturers, with frequency ranges and prices.

Thanks Guys,

I have built a tractrix horn for a 1" and a 2" driver and am looking at the 'used option' first but it may well be more appropriate to go new. I am using the 1" with my K55X'S (Khorn) at the minute and having superior results over the std K401. I am contemplating a bottom end build with either a 2 way or 3 way config (all horns) to compliment the Khorns. Probably look at a Cornwall design or LS but with a better top end. I'd love to own or build some Jubs but out of my ball park at the minute. I would have to sell my Khorns and I just don't want to do it! I can get hold of some Altecs 288 16k or the C model, any thoughts on these. The K's are big buggers!

Ahhh, you said the magic word: Jubilee.

Since you have built a tractrix horn, I will assume that you have some woodworking skills. In that case, building a Jubilee bass bin might be a very reasonable project.

You would be able to cross it at 600-700Hz or so (a bit higher if you have a steeper crossover). At that crossover point then there are many, many alternatives, including 2-way systems. The OEM drivers for the bass bin are not that expensive (if you can find them) and there are substitutes from Pioneer that are about $50-60 apiece. There are no double miters in the construction; however, they will require some time and effort to build. However, this would greatly expand the choices for the driver and horn for the top section.

As far as the 288s, these are very reputable drivers. However they are expensive and old enough so that may require some work. The JBLs are also an alternative. If they were used in sound reinforcement I would be concerned about diaphragms and possibly re-magnetizing. As a note, not all after market diaphragms (the affordable ones) are created equal.

If price is a consideration then you might want to look at B&C. If it is not a consideration then have a look at TAD.

Have I been able to talk you into considering a Jub bass bin as the foundation of your project?

Good Luck,

-Tom

I use the JBL 2482, 2" driver as the mid on my Khorns. It will go as low as 300Hz but that is its lower limit. With any driver you do not want to butt up against its performance limits. It is better for the driver and the sound is better if you work within the solid performance range of the driver. I cross the 2482 at 450Hz using a 300 Hz horn and it works quite well. If you want a solid 300Hz driver Ale from Japan has new product that can do it. They are not cheap. Ale manufactures horn drivers for all frequencies as well as horns to go with them.

somebody here , George Roland, maybe 8used some 290 's on his KH

I bought Gerorge's 290-16Ks and I am using them with Altec 311-90s on top of my Khorns with slightly modified Type A crossovers. I like them more than K55V and K400 combination..

Kudret

somebody here , George Roland, maybe 8used some 290 's on his KH

I bought Gerorge's 290-16Ks and I am using them with Altec 311-90s on top of my Khorns with slightly modified Type A crossovers. I like them more than K55V and K400 combination..

Kudret

Interesting! Did you leave the cutoff frequencies stock on the crossover? Are you using a different tweeter?

-Tom

Thanks guys, I don't have any wordworking skills to mention more patience but I have thought of looking at making some jubs using a guy I know that has these skills, if I decide not to knock up a square box (that I can do). The crossover is a very impotant link and I like the idea of an active network

Cheers