Tube Pre (BBX) Help Needed

rplace

I have an email out to Mark and I am sure he will get back to me on Monday, perhaps sooner…but was a bit curious so thought I see what the rest of you think.

I have a BBX with Cream and go to use it today and nothing. No power nada. I check the fuse and it has a small black area on it, so I put in another. Flip the power and nothing. Check the fuse aging and it is blown too. So I take it apart and the 12X4 tube is blacker then black. I have a spare so I swap it out and when I remove the old one it is completely broken just above the base. The glass "tube" comes out but the guts remain in the BBX. I gently get it out and put my spare 12X4 in and another fuse. I turn it on and nothing. Check the fuse and blown again.

Not knowing much beyond the obvious I decided to leave it alone and see what the “experts” thought. So, what-cha all think? Got any ideas for me to try next?

Sorry to hear about your pre-amp.

Obviously something is wrong. Equally obvious is that 3 fuses have saved your unit from severe damage. I guess I would wait and talk to Mark before doing anything, You have been lucky three times and the fuse has protected the unit. Personally I would not put too much faith in a fuse to protect the unit every time.

-Tom

• Moderators

Try calling Mark, he is happy to answer the phone on the weekends. I have "waited 'til Monday" myself to call only to be scolded by Mark saying he had nothing to do all weekend, why didn't I call on Saturday. If the machine answers and he doesn't get back to you it means he is unavailable, but don't be surprised to get a call over the weekend. I would email him your phone number as well and he will get back to you. The ONLY time I had to wait to hear from him was when he was on the road to Rocky Mountain Audio fest, and he still found time to check his emails and get back to me in the middle of all of that.

You obviously had a bad rectifier, and you may have another one. But like Wooly Tom says, there could be some problem upstream that is causing probs with that rectifier. Don't rely on your fuses anymore, talk to mark.

Travis

Try calling Mark, he is happy to answer the phone on the weekends. I have "waited 'til Monday" myself to call only to be scolded by Mark saying he had nothing to do all weekend ... I would email him your phone number as well and he will get back to you.

Travis is right! I'm hoping all is well by our event next weekend, but he and you might need to move fast. Let me know if I can help.

Larry