Bose 601 Series II

• 1 month later...

Is that wire hanging out the first woofer, where it plugged into the wall? [:o]

As Erik said.... fret not. Someone on my floor (3rd) in my freshman dorm had a pair of those and cranked them up to no end. This was of course, before I let the whole building know that I had a pair of LaScalas and a pair of EV's in my room.... [8] [A] [6]

i had a pair of newer 301's.i think series 4.with rear firing tweeter.CRAP! For 300 and change 4 a bookshelf speaker .not worth half of that. but the 1st and 2nd series are very well sounding.I use to be a pro dj in NY i heard all brands.but for 2 8" woofers the bass is very full.Too bad they didn't add a horn to them .Wait s minute, maybe i will.I have 2 Ev horns.Lets see what i can do.Btw does any1 own the Klipsch rc-7? i just built 1 i need the dimensions of the rear firing ports.

I bet they sound pretty good. Wish I could hear them.

Great job on the refurb.

Thanks to everyone on the nice comments.

I listened to them for about 3 days before my friend picked them up. I was quite impressed with the sound. ABing with the LaScala's revealed a few things:

The sound was very "warm".

They are not fatiguing.

They are not bass shy but not beasts either.

They do not image very well. The sound just comes from the direction of the speakers. You don't really hear the speaker but separation of sounds isn't apparent.

They are no where near as efficient as the LS.

I like the far out look.

Overall, pleasant to listen to. If I owned them I would keep them.

i never heard the ls nor ever sen them i was 9 in 80.wouldn't mind listening to them.I'm not to much a bose fan.actually i think Bose isn't great at all ,but they did make a good sound ing speaker (601)maybe got lucky.<don't like the 901.i perfer more bass.i use to dj profesionally.I was around all the bigger boys of speaker,gauss,jbl EVand so on.Not the better end of listemimg,but the more powerful end.I did studio work also . I just recently got introdued to the finer end of listenequipment.Just picked up a h/k avr7000 ,nothing special ,but clear and strong.For a house that is.My carver pm15 sits in the closet way too powerful.Thats from my dj ing years.also had 2 crowns and a soundcraft for back up.But for 100 buck{price i paid for the 601's}Probably the best deal i ever got in the speaker world,atleast the most enjoyable.They are accompanied with my new self built Rc-7.Got the woofer s for 20 bucks,subsituted a the klipsch horm with an EV.I still need the port sizes.but it sound awesome .I'm starting to reaal;y like klipsch.Got the sub10.alos built a 2nd sub10 out of maple wood.It acually sounds better then the `1 i paid 499 for.cost---60 fior the woofer .and the wood .had an amp.

BUT I'm all ears .Yous been around this longer then i have.educate me please.

ps i use AR in the rear. I'm kind of fomd of AR also.Got rid of my polk i38's for the AR red box bookself speakers.Also have a pair of m3 i'm going to get rid of.