Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 27

thebes

Looks like most the country had fine weather for the holiday so I hope you were outside, like me, enjoying yourselves.

Despite the smile those cool Spring breezes have put on my face I just can't stay away from the blues to olong, and if you got the blues, you'd best spend a little time with:

John Lee Hooker, "The Healer" , blue, lp

Mr. Hooker brought a few quests with him to this album: Santayna, bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray, Canned Heat, Los Lobos, George Thorughgood and Charlie Musselwhite. Tribute albums like this can often misfire but this one clicks along just fine with great backing performances. They say John Lee Hooker has really only ever sung one song and he's just changed the lyrics over the decades, and they may be right. Tell you what, though, hard not to be fan. Superb mastering too.

So what do you have to share this week?

John Lee Hooker! Whiskey & Women ,(just about wrecked my life) Canal Street songs that bespeak the misery of New Orleans after-night life and the poetic mystery of a unique musical talent. Glad he did the House Of Blues.

Boogie Chillen, lots of classic JL like Tupelo Mississippi..(The Flood).

Hooker And Heat, a somewhat rarified JL with the Canned Heat....does it get any better....

STRONG PERSAUDER : ROBERT CRAY ............ or pick any of his work. This guy can play a Fender with the best of them, has a voice smooth as silk, and does honor to the Blues. I think he is the finest all-around Bluesman on the scene today, and as time passes, he will become one of the BEST of all time. He ranks right up there with Jimi, Stevie Ray, and EC, maybe, just maybe, a bit more polished in his presentation, but a FENDER BENDER No Doubt.

Here's a couple more good ones ;

PURE BLUES ; ALVIN LEE and TEN YEARS AFTER ........................ Alvin is awesome

ONE FOOT IN THE BLUES : Z Z TOP .............. Let Billy Gibbons and the Boys take you for a ride with Texas Blues

OB - Yes, Robert Cray is quite good! I played the heck out of Strong Persuader years ago. Kinda took a break from music for a number of years and missed a lot. Back in now and catching up. I've heard to some of his newer stuff and really like it, too. Back Door Slam and Phone Booth are both very good tunes.

Getting into JLH, too. Gotta get The Healer soon.

I've been recording a few hours of the Sirius blues channel on my DVR every night. I've been finding all kinds of great stuff I never new existed!

SKATALITES
1964 reformed several times over the last 4 decades

skatalites.jpgskatuptigh_sm.jpg

This band is largely responsible for popularizing Ska. They backed up most of the big ska bands in Jamaica including my favorite Prince Buster. If you like that early island ska dancehall music than please give these guys a listen.

Logo-skatalites-com.gif

excerpt from a site

In addition to heading into the recording studio to back almost every
Ska singer of note on record, the Skatalites were and are such
gifted musicians that they remain the pre-eminent Ska band to this day.
While many of the original members of the Skatalites have passed
on...they passed on the torch that keeps the band ever vital. Roland
Alphonso, Tommy McCook, Don Drummond, Jackie Mittoo, Johnny 'Dizzy' Moore,
Lloyd Brevett, Lloyd Knibbs, Ernest Ranglin, 'Jah' Jerry Hinds, Harold
MacKenzie, Lester Sterling, 'Reverend' Billy Cook, Percival
Dillon...All these men, and more, contibuted to the catalogue of music
that ranks the Skatalites as perhaps the most prodigious ensemble ever.
The Skatalites vocalists were no slouches either. Lord Tanamo, Doreen
Shaffer, Jackie Opel and Tony Gregory were all just right for the
sound. If you like old time Ska and find yourself listening to the
Maytals, the Wailers, Delroy Wilson, Lord Creator, Stranger
Cole...heck, most of the stars from that era...Listen to the
band...it's quite likely the Skatalites. Oh...And their newer albums
all sound great too.

Speaking of Alvin Lee, have you heard "On the Road to Freedom" with Mylon Lefevre? Great album with Winood, Capaldi, Harrison, Ron Wood etc. Great stuff. Mylon Lefevre is from the Singing Lefevre Family, a gospel group. They booted Mylon out because he had long hair! Check out "So Sad" by George Harrison. It's Harrison all the way. The title track is Mylon on vocals with Alvin doin' guitar. Anyway...