Members Weekly Music Recommendations-June 2

thebes

My apologies for not getting back tot his thread last week for there was certainly some worthy things to talk about especially Seti's recommendation on Ska. Now for those who know little about it, you can pretty much call Ska the predecessor to Dance Hall, and it's cousin Dub, one of the major influences which led to rap.

Some of the roots of music and where they lead onto are interesting indeed. Tonight let's talk about a man whose roots have led us down the years.

Bo Diddley, "16 Greatest Hits', checkers, LP .

It's curious to me because I almost posted this here last week, maybe there was something on the wind to say it was time to pay a tribute to, and recommend, the man who just may have invented rock and roll. Certainly he claimed he did.

Now to me he's basically a blues musician and that's not a bad thing at all. There is a basic driving tempo to all his music that can get a fellow into lot's of trouble, a nd you just know the womens were lined up to bedevil him and spend his cash. but he could handle it, because above all else, he was a man.

Recording quality is only so-so but the heart shines through. Farewell Bo.

So what do you have to share this week.

One of my favorite bands has finally released a box set. I never thought it would happen. They only made 5,000 copies so I had to make sure I got mine and I did. STUMP The Complete Anthology. This band was influenced by Beefheart, Madness, Devo, and Brand X. This is one of those bands that is love or hate not many fence sitters on this band. I have been a fan since 1989 but they only released one CD in America. It wasn't until last week that I got to listen to their complete works which did not let me down. I even have a new favorite STUMP song which I never thought would happen.

There story is short as they only survived three albums and then the rave scene engulfed the uk and the only music popular was 120bpm accompanied with as much ecstasy as one could be consumed. The STUMP story http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.hopper1/Stump.html

Beefheart influenced surreal strange wammy bar mangling art pop that is just whacky in a way only the english can pull off pythonesque with a dash of they might be giants........

51bHFePac1L._AA240_.jpg

flanfierce2.jpg

Buffalo

Charlton Heston

Chaos

I have my 6' tall Klipsch promo poster of Bo Diddley up in my home office right now. That guitar was WACK- 5 gold knobs- 8 band eq onboard, a line of other knobs that did who-knows-what.

In the 'what is Colter listening to' department, I've got the iMac jukebox mixing through a playlist of a bunch of Deep Purple. Lady Luck - Live is on right now. Glenn and Coverdale doing great duets. Tommy Bolin plays a nifty little slide bit while Hughes chugs along on Rickenbacker bass. This is from the 2 CD In Concert series.

It's good to be listening to music during the day again. I'm going to try to be a regular here again.

Hey Ian, Mark Kauffman shared some BrandX with me last week. Amazing stuff, really reminds me of Zappa with the bizarre time signatures.

I have my 6' tall Klipsch promo poster of Bo Diddley up in my home office right now. That guitar was WACK- 5 gold knobs- 8 band eq onboard, a line of other knobs that did who-knows-what.

In the 'what is Colter listening to' department, I've got the iMac jukebox mixing through a playlist of a bunch of Deep Purple. Lady Luck - Live is on right now. Glenn and Coverdale doing great duets. Tommy Bolin plays a nifty little slide bit while Hughes chugs along on Rickenbacker bass. This is from the 2 CD In Concert series.

It's good to be listening to music during the day again. I'm going to try to be a regular here again.

Hey Ian, Mark Kauffman shared some BrandX with me last week. Amazing stuff, really reminds me of Zappa with the bizarre time signatures.

I love those bizarre time signatures. I've only heard Brand X at parties so it looks like I need to buy some. Mark Kauffman has some great tunes.

My apologies for not getting back tot his thread last week for there was certainly some worthy things to talk about especially Seti's recommendation on Ska. Now for those who know little about it, you can pretty much call Ska the predecessor to Dance Hall, and it's cousin Dub, one of the major influences which led to rap.

Thanks it is a genre of music that I don't get tired of and luckily there are still Ska Dancehall and Dub artist to be discovered. I don't go as far as rap. The roots music is what I love.

For those that buy music on ebay I have noticed more and more BIN sales of new CDs for under $5 sometimes $2. I am going to starting hitting these sales and pickup a couple a month. I haven't noticed this trend before.

Bo Diddley made his own guitars amps and speakers. He was truly into every aspect of his craft.

For the rest of us, here's a PDF suitable I'm sure for printing at 8-1/2 x 11 and maybe larger if you're printer can print larger.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/news-center/advertisement-pdfs/bo-diddley.pdf

Wonder if Michael's is the full size version of the above pdf. That'd make a cool poster.

Wow! Never saw that poster before. Tres cool.

Check out all this thing-a-ma-bobs on the Guitar. Handcrafted by Bo himself.

This one had its own drum machine.

*drum machine guitar removed image linking wasn't allowed*

Bo%20Diddley_1.JPG

Wow. That guitar with it's own drum machine is wild. It's showing in my email but just see Image Posted By Tripod on the Forum. I knew Bo was considered a musical innovator but not sure I had ever heard he built his own guitars. Even more the innovator than I and I'm sure others realized. ([:$] It's about time I get some Bo in my collection - too important not to have at least a little).

I bet Michael's 6' promo poster is tres cool. Probably not a better place to have one than the House of Klipsch

edit: this is kind of odd... some posts I get pictures for and others I don't - in the same thread at times I think. Must depend on how the pictures posted? I don't believe I ever get the pictures I may post but have assumed the forum software doesn't include pictures for posts sent to the poster? Not sure I've received a pic in email before and then it not show up online.l

The pdf version prints up pretty cool at 8-1/2 x 11 - bet it'd look even better at 14 x 17 (or whatever the largest common size is). May have to see if the local Staples or someplace can print larger in color.

There are also a few other artists on the advertising section of klipsch.com.... I think Bo would be my favorite there but others I know of and others I probably should.