ONKYO OR YAMAHA RECEIVER ???

DU73

I an wanting to upgrade my receiver so I can get the latest sound inputs for BluRay movies

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

YAMAHA RXV3800B

ONKYO TX SR05

Both reveivers seem to be approx 130 W per channel

Any suggestioons on which one I should go for. My speakers are noted below in my signature.

Later on I may be using the preouts to connect to a seperate power amplifier but this will have to wait to maybe next year.

man, no love for the onkyo tx-sr805...well i think thats the one i am getting because i can get it for $600. i really didn't know much about the yammys and no one suggested any models to me. i was trying to decide between that onkyo and the pioneer elite, but the elite was $250 more.

man, no love for the onkyo tx-sr805...well i think thats the one i am getting because i can get it for $600.

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten... Nothing against the Onkyo gear, but price isn't everything.

Thanks to everyone for your input

The last thing I wanted was a battle between brands, we are all very passionate about our Klipsch speakers and the instruments that drive them.

It appears that the majority would go with the Yamaha, so I might stick with that. I currently have a Yamaha but I use my system more for movies than anything else, therefore I need the latest sound inputs to get the most from my Blu Ray.

I heard that the Onkyo was pretty good and that is why I asked the question.

Thanks again

• Moderators

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten...

Dang Islander. Is that your quote? That's deep bro. It's true though.

Downunder, how much music vs movies would you say? I can tell you that for movies, I absolutely love my Onkyo. I don't even have my center or rears yet but I was watching I Am Legend and the sound was amazing. I almost messed in my pants a few times due to the detail and sound effects, like when the dog jumps out in the beginning. I have heard the Yamaha 2700 hooked up to an external 200 watt/ch amp and it sounded amazing too. We have to realize that most of us work off of a budget. Yes, it is better to save and get the best you can afford but sometimes even the "lesser of the two" is more than adequate for our needs. If the Onkyo has everything you need it to do (power, HDMI etc) and is at a great price point, I say go for it. If you listen to more music than you do Movies, then the Yamaha might be a better choice.

well okay, give me a yahama product that is comparable with a thd of .05, 3 hdmi, and 130w and i will have a look see and make a decison after that.

I did say I had nothing against Onkyo. My point was that you should choose the item you want based on the item, not on the price. A year from now, a few bucks one way or the other won't matter, as long as you have the item that pleases you.

And no, Youthman, I can't take credit for that quote. It's a classic from many years ago.

i understand. to me it comes down to most of the receivers are all about the same. i am going for the onkyo because i assume i won't notice a difference if i watch movies with that or with pioneer, or yahama. when you start talking about 2ch and music, thats a whole ball of wax that i don't even know how to ask questions for. i own 2 music dvds and on my junky sony (it's 6 years old, and it was a low low end model) sounds good to me. i don't even have my ears calibrated yet to even get into any discussion on what is better. thats why i ask a million questions.

the probem that i am facing is i don't want to wait for my set up. so i am saving up money now so i can buy everything at once. the downfall to that, is i can't buy the best of everything because the funds will run out. i have everything lined out now and it looks like i have plenty, but i am now looking at adding a second pair of rs-42's and an amp. i guess in the end, saving the $250 is worth it to me.

Youthman – to answer your question my listening ratio would be 90% movies and 10 % music.

So it is my understanding on this thread that Yamaha could be the better allrounder receiver re Movies and Music and Onlyo might be an equal option for movies.

I don’t know – so confused. Maybe I will have to go to a store that sell both – hear them both with Klipsch speakers and let my ears make the choice.

Totally agree – it is best to spend a bit more now and be happier later.

I am Legend – awesome – watched it at the drive ins – love the BIG screen but the drive ins lack the sound, though this was made up for when I put on the disc at home.

• Moderators

Maybe I will have to go to a store that sell both – hear them both with Klipsch speakers and let my ears make the choice.

That is always the best solution. What sounds good to me might be too bright or too laid back to you. Let your ears and your wallet be your guide. [:D]