Bleedover of light reflected off screen onto side of rf83's

Mark O

To all,

I have a 120 inch screen in the theater and I have on issue with the new rf-83's that are being put up on Friday. The size and height of them cause them to sit within inches of either side of my screen and I am worried that the light reflected off of the projector screen is going to be annoying to me becuase it will be seen on either side of the speaker. I am wondering if I ran a piece of "velvet" sort of like on the edges of my screen on the left and right hand side of the rf-83's facing the screen, would that solve the problem. Right now only about 6 inches of my speakers sit over the screens bottom edge but the hight of the rf-83's will sit about 21 inches above. My main question is, will this in any way effect the sound that these great speakers produce or will I be fine putting non abrasive cloth on the speakers to fix the light issue. I am probably the only person that will ever even notice, but you know how in your own system you see every flaw and it can drive you crazy. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mark

i couldn't see putting a piece of velvet on one side of the speaker effecting the sound at all. it's only going to be on the width of speaker nearest the screen right? how would you attach it? velcrow on both sides? double stick tape? i would think those two options would damage the finish a little.

• Moderators

I agree that the velvet should have absolutely no effect on the sound since it is on the side of the speaker. First question is will you have the speakers toed in a bit towards the listening area? If so, the you might not even be able to see the insides of the speakers. Really depends on how far back your front row is and what angle you toe them in at. Of course you are just guessing what might occur and I realize you are just trying to be proactive. I wouldn't do anything until you get them installed and see how it looks. If it is distracting, you might want to add some cloth over it. My thought is that if you are getting the cherry finish, I would hate to put anything on that is adhesive and also I would rather have them naked in all their glory and have a slight reflection than put a covering on them. I think once you get them setup, you will agree they are beautiful speakers and you might change your mind on hiding them. As we have talked, my setup will be very similar to yours in dimension and having the same speakers. I'll learn from your mistakes if that's ok. [:D]

Learning from others mistakes is how we keep improving on our theaters. Glad to help. I will test them out and see. I went with black so if I had to attach the same material as on my screen frame to one side it would be virtually unnoticeable. I will know Friday.

you can complete it tomarrow if you like, you might have to eat beans and rice for the next 10 years, but your music and movies would sound and look great!

the other method is maxing out all your credit cards and paying the minimum for the rest of your life....lol

• Moderators

you can complete it tomarrow if you like, you might have to eat beans and rice for the next 10 years, but your music and movies would sound and look great!

the other method is maxing out all your credit cards and paying the minimum for the rest of your life....lol

That is true but it would defeat the past 5 years we have worked to be completely debt free. We no longer have any credit cards. Only 1 car loan and student loan and we are finished. Almost there. Only debt we will have will be our Mortgage and it is an investment more than it is a debt. Going to the bank Friday to talk about financing. Hope to begin this month pulling permits. Our theater room is the same dimensions as Mark O's and we both have the same system, except I only have a 2.1 right now. [:'(]

good for you man. thats the same way my wife and i live. we have 2 cars, one is paid off, i have a student loan, and thats it. i have a couple of credit cards but they have very specific purposes. the main card gets paid off every 2 weeks, it's how we budget out money. then after a period time, they give me cash back, i got a $250 check for buying the stuff i normally buy. soon i will be out of my apt and into my first custom built home in august! the other card is the costco card.

anyways this post isn't about budget.....lol

If you toe your speakers in properly then I don't see how it would be a problem at all - except maybe for possible problems with glare off the top of the speaker. Either way, adding velvet to the sides of the speaker for sure won't hurt the sound at all. If anything, I've seen it argued many a time that it would improve the sound [:o] (dunno if I believe that or not, but its definitely not gonna be detrimental).

Guest srobak

Can they be moved slightly behind the plane of the screen?

+1 to this. Set the speakers back or bring the screen forward so the screen surface is flush with the fronts of the speakers. This avoids attaching or hanging anything on the speakers.