Computer woes

Amy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leopard is a dream to work with!!! Makes windos XP/Vista like using a slate and chisel

Vista is aweful, and will bring the best hardware to its knees. My point is only that ALL systems will fail, hardware and/or software.

My personal computer history is filled with misery using Window-based machines. I started on the amazing Atari 1040ST, moved on to a 133mhz Windows machine that I paid $2000 for, then a string of equally bug-ridden, error-filled mostrosities until I got it together and entered the stress-free, error-free world of Macs...PERIOD. This is my experience and no amount of staring at BIOS screens will ever change the facts. Non-stop registry issues, compatiliblity amongst components issues, blue-screens, etc. I was sick of it. Good riddance and never again.

My Macbook Pros have NEVER screwed up. My Dual processor tower in my recording studio has NEVER screwed up. My Mac-Mini...you guessed it, has NEVER screwed up. I just don't see why anyone uses anything else especially if they work with a lot of digital media. The biggest problem I've ever had working on Macs is little bug that exists now that sometimes forces you to insert a cd twice. There is a bug with the Leopard, itunes & CDDB(this looks up artist info, etc.) combo that no one can figure out. If the biggest problem I've had in almost 10 years is having to reinsert a cd to get the names of the songs then I'm in good shape.

Leopard is a dream to work with!!! Makes windos XP/Vista like using a slate and chisel

Vista is aweful, and will bring the best hardware to its knees. My point is only that ALL systems will fail, hardware and/or software.

exactly, macs and pcs use the same hardware, especially now since macs switched over to using intel chips instead of the ibm risc chip.

I have used Vista since the day it came out and before that I used the beta versions. The only problems I had where at the beginning when some companies didn't have working drivers for a few months. That is all fixed now and I havn't seen a blue screen ever on Vista. The only other problem I had was when I bought a new motherboard that turned out to be faulty. Vista does use a ton of resources to run but computers have become really cheap so that shouldn't be an excuse. Vista also comes with versions that are less resource intensive too. A friend of mine bought a brand new macbook pro and in the first three months he had to change the motherboard twice! Thankfully he had the extra warranty because it would have cost him $800 to fix!

computers have become really cheap so that shouldn't be an excuse

It is a problem if you own a company and need to replace a thousand PCs. We are finally dumping some 500Mhz boxes this summer. We would have to replace over 200 PCs if we were to totally switch to Vista, unless we switched to a terminal server scenario.

Vista has been problematic for corporate installations because a lot of the management tools haven't been available.

I've never had a BSOD on either of my XP boxes or on my Win2k box. THe Win2K box has been running since 2001.

I love the Apple products, and the OS is elegant, but the Q.C. on the hardware has been a bit of an issue. I love the new iMacs, but a max of 4 gig of ram seems to be shortsighted. Their towers are superb.