Crown M600 Amp ?

kg4guy

" M600? "

The M600 slews at only 16V/µS, with its power output it would need to be at least 50V/µS for full range use. Uses the 3231 opamp forced into class A mode with the same voltage gain stage Carver used in all his amplifiers.

This is a reasonable amp for subwoofer use, it has two transformers wired in parallel, two bridge rectifiers, and two sets of filter caps, and twice the number of outputs (all same parts as DC300A, with a big fan-cooled heatsink). 92 lbs.

An M2000 is two M600 bridged, and will do 2KW minimum into 8 ohms.

"Starts at "DC." What does that mean?"

It means if you feed in DC, you get DC out.

Most hi-fi amps, even if they claim to be DC coupled, will not amplify DC.

The M600 will.

We just bough one of its bigger brothers (4KW) to run a shaker table at work, it needs DC to set up the magnetic field, and then two-phase AC drive to make it shake.

I just bought 2 AETechron 7560's which are similar to the M600 a while ago. I haven't had a chance to get them yet. These are mono amps and are supposed to be great for subwoofer duty. I don't know if it would be worth it to try them fullrange, or not.

DJK is right about the DC coupled issue. Most amps have a filter to protect against DC and superlow freq's below 5-10hz. These do not. They will put out DC or high level VLF if it shows up at the inputs for some reason. This can easily toast most audio drivers if it gets amplified to them. A beefy sub may survive if it's a low enough volume, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought 2 AETechron 7560's which are similar to the M600 a while ago. I haven't had a chance to get them yet. These are mono amps and are supposed to be great for subwoofer duty. I don't know if it would be worth it to try them fullrange, or not.

DJK is right about the DC coupled issue. Most amps have a filter to protect against DC and superlow freq's below 5-10hz. These do not. They will put out DC or high level VLF if it shows up at the inputs for some reason. This can easily toast most audio drivers if it gets amplified to them. A beefy sub may survive if it's a low enough volume, maybe.

Well I went and picked it up got it half way from the garage to the house a decided to snap a photo and leave it in the garage.DJK was correct it is about 100lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a guy in Florida who has been testing a lot of amps for people over at the AVS forum. He was kind enough to test my pair of Techron 7560's (rebadged to Picker International, for use with an MRI system apparently, basically a Crown / Amcron M600). He tested both but presented the data for only one since they were apparently extremely close. The manual for the amps has a 1988 date on it. I plan on using these to run my main pair of CF-4's (L & R), or possibly my subs. These amps are apparently really good for sub duty, at-least according to Thilo Stompler. I bought the pair for $600 and will have about $400 in shipping also. Not bad for the pair IMOP. Here is the recorded tests for FR, and continuous output power into various loads. For the full details on all of the testing criteria visit the thread entitled Measuring Amplifiers in the DIY subs and speakers section at AVS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not bad for a pair of 20 year old amps! I guess they really don't make em like they used to. These are 95lb overbuilt workhorses. They had to be since they might be used in any # of grueling applications ranging from medical MRI, X-ray machines, linear actuator systems, sound systems and line testing. I'm really liking the 1250W at 2ohms. The FR is nice and flat and the distortion is not bad considering the age and power levels. 20khz isn't as clean as the lower frequencies , but I don't think I'll be needing 600+ watts of power at 20khz anyway.

There's a guy in Florida who has been testing a lot of amps for people over at the AVS forum. He was kind enough to test my pair of Techron 7560's (rebadged to Picker International, for use with an MRI system apparently, basically a Crown / Amcron M600). He tested both but presented the data for only one since they were apparently extremely close. The manual for the amps has a 1988 date on it. I plan on using these to run my main pair of CF-4's (L & R), or possibly my subs. These amps are apparently really good for sub duty, at-least according to Thilo Stompler. I bought the pair for $600 and will have about $400 in shipping also. Not bad for the pair IMOP. Here is the recorded tests for FR, and continuous output power into various loads. For the full details on all of the testing criteria visit the thread entitled Measuring Amplifiers in the DIY subs and speakers section at AVS.

Techron-8506-84ohm-070608.jpg

Techron-8506-2ohm-070608.jpg

7772_3-1.jpg

5566_3-1.jpg

Not bad for a pair of 20 year old amps! I guess they really don't make em like they used to. These are 95lb overbuilt workhorses. They had to be since they might be used in any # of grueling applications ranging from medical MRI, X-ray machines, linear actuator systems, sound systems and line testing. I'm really liking the 1250W at 2ohms. The FR is nice and flat and the distortion is not bad considering the age and power levels. 20khz isn't as clean as the lower frequencies , but I don't think I'll be needing 600+ watts of power at 20khz anyway.Wow that is a great deal I found two M600's and one sold for $1200 and the other for $1895. I am selling this M600 as I need the$$ and I do not need another amp as I have a Marantz and a new Crown XL202 with a Adcom preamp and I am trying to get these La scalas built I am cutting all the wood on Tuesday.[H]

" Check out the frequncy response. Starts at "DC." What does that mean?"

''DC' is sometimes thought of as 0 (zero) Hertz, which is kind of an interesting thing to think about -- and subsequently most likely the only way we can experience it. Since an amplifier, just as any required component of the reproduction chain, is essentially meaningless without its associated signal source and loudspeakers, an amplifier with FR specifications that extend from bottom basement 'DC' all the way out to 100,000 Hz, for example, may be capable of measurement, but is rather broad in terms of its impact on human hearing. If that statement suggests that the response is hence very linear within the varying frequency limits of our ears and brain, maybe that's a good thing...........and maybe it doesn't say very much about the actual sound quality of the amplifier. I've heard kind of nasty sounding amps with otherwise very nice measurement characteristics.

What structural elements would be necessary for a loudspeaker to be capable of producing zero Hz?

Erik