New Khorns, Please help

Welshstar

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably time to do some driver testing. If you have a multimeter, you can disconnect the tweeters and midrange drivers at the terminal strip. Measure on the loose wires going to the drivers. With the meter set to measure resistance, (ohms) the tweeters should measure about 6 ohms and the midrange drivers should measure about 11 ohms if they are good.

Bob Crites

That would depend largely on the music and how much content is in the 5K and above range. If you stuff a pillow in the mid horn or disconnect the sqawker driver, the tweeter sound shoud be kind of peircing by itself, you'll need to keep your ear close to it, to listen to it. The standard precaution applies here, exercise sound (no pun intended) judgement with regards to the volume contorl when doing this.

Tweeters measure 5.7 & 6.3 ohms

Mids measure 11.0 and 11.2

If im playing music how much actual sound would you expect the tweeter to put out ? should it be clearly audible ?

Actually, the tweeter should be as loud as the other drivers. Just that there is not much high frequency energy present in most music. When I test tweeters, I use a test track like "Land Downunder" by Men at Work. That one has continuous HF running all the way through it.

One thing I am not sure about is how the AK-4 crossover reacts when you only have the tweeter connected without the midrnage. Might be better to leave both connected and cover the midrange with a towel of something while listening to the tweeter.

Bob Crites

Hi

The people i purchased the speakers from suggested hooking the tweeter up directly to the amplifier ( at low volume ) and see what i heard.

Is this a good idea ?

Alan

You might get away with that or you might not. The problem is that the tweeter can stand almost no power below 4500 hz. A full range signal to the tweeter would send all frequencies to the tweeter and you could really easily pop the voice coil.

Better would be to use a 2 uF capacitor in series with the signal to the tweeter. That would provide some protection against the lows and let you hear the highs.

Bob

• Moderators

Hi

The people i purchased the speakers from suggested hooking the tweeter up directly to the amplifier ( at low volume ) and see what i heard.

Is this a good idea ?

Alan

No it is a bad idea unless Bob Crites says it is ok to do so, otherwise you might be buying a replacement diaphram from him. Where are you located? What city and state.

Travis

Hi

I did hook up the tweeters but at extremely low volume.

They appear to be working fine.

I reassembled everything and then listened to the system, im not sure if anything is wrong or I just dont like the sound. The sound seems fine on things like vocals, piano etc but as soon as i go to something more rock or orchestral in nature it just sounds flat and lifeless.

I went back to my old speakers, and they sounded a lot more lively, more bass, presence and attack.

I was expecting the khorns to have a lot of life and energy, this is what i thought id heard in previous auditions of them, it could just be that my room is just not right and that they just dont match acoustically.

i dont really know the way forwards, i have the best intentions to get good sound but it just does not seem to work out !!

Alan

This one is pretty hard to understand. Not particularly liking the sound of new speakers is certainly understandable, but thinking the sound is so far off that you suspect drivers might not be working is the tough part. Reminds me of another guy I was helping with a speaker problem once by email. He had a pair of Cornwalls that he had listened to for 20 years. He had just bought a pair of Khorns and complained that the new Khorns were just too bright. After lots of checking, we found that both his Cornwall tweeters had been out for years and the Khorns had functioning tweeters. That is what made them sound too bright to him.

This is not meant to be critical, but is it possible that your previous speakers may have been overly bright?

Bob Crites

Bob

Thanks for taking the time to help

I do like a bright sound, my previous speakers are only a few months old and are working fine.

Whats missing in the sound is the energy, I thought from previous auditions that the khorns sounded like live music with the dynamics of sound to go with it. Thats the sound im searching for, It just does not seem to be there on anythimg powerful, the delicate stuff sounds fine but anything more sounds dead and lifeless, i was expecting a live rock guitar to jump out, a live drum kit sound to be sharp. Im just not getting that sound.

Am i off track with my expectations ? to put the sound another way, it almost sounds liek a great bookshelf speaker. Where the sound is very clear and detailed but with no body or life behind it.

Should i try a different amplifier ?

Alan

I doubt you would find much change by changing amps. Others would disagree with me on that of course. I think an amp operated inside its specs and suitably noise-free and with enough power is fine.

What you are looking for, the live sound, the sharp bass, the detailed mids and highs are the qualities most Khorn owners describe when talking about their Khorns. Khorns, set up right, and working properly do sound like that to me.

Now, let's talk about the particular ones you have. That is, the late model with AK-4 crossovers. We don't have a lot of people with Khorns that new in this group. I have heard the newer ones a few times only but have not heard them in comparison with older ones. I don't feel that the new ones would sound remarkably different, but can't say that for sure. I know that a few owners of the newer Khorns have replaced the AK-4 crossovers with earlier models. I also know that some have replaced older model crossovers with the AK-4s.

Bob Crites

I do like a bright sound, my previous speakers are only a few months old and are working fine.

What are you used to listening to?

I know having khorns you don't like the sound of can be depressing, so if it gets to bad you let me know, and I'll have someone come take them away. No don't thank me I just like to help people feel better......

Bob

Ive heard Khorns before at dealers and from memory they have the sound described.

What i cant figure out is the lack of scale and excitement in the music, what could be causing that ?

Is there anything in the setup or cabling that could be overlooked ?

Is there any form of interaction between the Khorms and an amp that could be taking place ?

Could it just be really bad acoustics in the room ?

Thanks

Alan