May have to call shennanigans on this one...

jtnfoley

Or just straight-up [bs]

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/720742961.html

2 Klipsch Corner Horn Speakers - $4000 (Brookline)

Mr. Klipsch was traveling the country during the late 60's and came to
this house to aid the employees of "The Music Box", a store in
Wellesley, Ma where the speakers were purchased, in determining if a
third or fourth speaker were needed for this very large living room. He
moved the speakers around and measured, and spent a good amount of time
fixing the speakers placement.

Hmmmm... Was PWK in the habbit of traveling to resellers and giving firsthand instruction? "Just put them in the corners!"

Sheesh.

Yeh. Plausible, I think. He could have been determining whether a long wall or short wall set up worked best for the room. Also, regarding a third speaker, his three channel wall of sound to be right, I think, would require the Khorns to be a certain distance apart.

PWK had a pilots license and used to fly around the country to sell his products. It would not have been terribly unusual for him to 'set up' a set of Klipschorns for a customer. I don't think it adds value to the speaker unless there is some remarkable providence like a photo of PWK in the home perhaps.

The story may be true. The Music Box was in Wellesley,MA and he did show up there on occasion (I met him there in 1982). I bought a pair of KDBR units there in 1983.

That said, just having PWK in the *room* with the speakers adds nothing tho the intrinsic value of the speakers.

The Large Smith horns i inherited from Ashworth were the actual ones Paul and George had there falling out,,, Cuss words were thrown about spittel splaying all over the horns from both,, and BS all over the floor,,, But that does not make them any more valuble,,,

Hello John,

Yes on both. It's interesting looking back, because of all the equipment I auditioned and purchased from those locations, none are in my current system. Only the Klipsch products have remained constant. I replaced the Forte-IIs with Chorus-II, and added 2 pairs from the Reference series, but the Klipsch equipment (with a tweak or two) holds its own as other system elements are improved.

Leo

Oh .. I take that back: a used Sonic Frontiers "Transdac" which I purchased at Natural Sound (and then tweaked a bit) has also remained constant. I would also still be using the Magnum Dynalab FM tuner from Natural Sound, but classical FM is gone from my location.

The Music Box certainly did exist.. I used to visit them when i was very young, and a friends older brother used to work there. They always had klipsch on display in thier small show room.. This was where I was first exposed to klipsch when I was maybe 10 years old, and 20 years later, I have never wanted another speaker..

just as a little side note for all you klipsch+tube lovers out there:

the owner of the music box used to pair his klipsch with all threshold solid-state gear.. even though he used to sell i believe it was Cary or conrad-johnson tube gear, he said he prefered threshold with klipsch over any tubes.. [:o]

• 1 month later...

PWK had a pilots license and used to fly around the country to sell his products. It would not have been terribly unusual for him to 'set up' a set of Klipschorns for a customer.

In 1958 Bill Bell (owner of the Wellesley Music Box) and Don Davis (then--I believe--V.P. of Klipsch) took a pair of Klipschorns and Marantz amps to the World's Fair in Brussels to demonstrate.....Stereo.

Bell knew PWK.

So the basic story of PWK helping him with an install in the 60's does not seem too unlikely--may have been visiting......

Mark