Back from my Wisconsin fishing trip

wuzzzer

...and what a trip it was! Yes, that would be me holding up the biggest largemouth bass I've ever caught in my life!

Posted Image

Nearby waterfall with a hand operated lock:

Posted Image

Deer hoof print very close to our cabin:

Posted Image

Blue skies, clear clean water and a lone loon:

Posted Image

We had a lot of fun despite the fact that it rained a lot and I wasn't able to fish nearly as much as I hoped to. We did end up keeping 69 really nice size panfish and had a couple awesome fish fries though!

Believe it or not, we were fishing with worms and a bobber for panfish. That's the second giant bass I've caught this way, both times with hardly any worm left on the hook. I guess at certain times bass just get hungry for whatever's floating in front of them. I knew right away when I caught it that it wasn't a panfish and as it got closer to the boat I was yelling at my sister in-law to get the landing net. It was almost 17" long. Not sure how much it weighed, probably 4-5 pounds I'm guessing. My sister in-law caught a bass that was about 3" long. It was hilarious. Some of the panfish we were catching could have eaten her bass for breakfast!

We were on the Eau Claire chain of lakes, Lower Eau Claire Lake to be specific. Small towns nearby are Barnes, Gordon, Wascott, Solon Springs, etc. If you happen to know the lake, all the fish were caught about 200 feet to the east of the dam on the southwest corner of the lake. I was there three years ago and the fishing was just as good back then.

I was up that way just last year (almost exactly a year to the day!).

I was at a family reunion at my aunt and uncles place up in Hayward. Once you get up that way, it is quite beautiful, not to mention pretty quiet and peaceful (compared to the usual crap in this area here in Virginia).

Took me three days to drive up there from here in Fredericksburg. Was also pretty cool spending a few days at Wisconsin Dells. I am originally from Beloit myself. Ah yes, gotta love the motherland. Would not mind going back.

at my aunt and uncles place up in Hayward

Did you go visit the giant Muskie? It CAN get really hot, but June is still usually pretty cool weather. I don't miss the -40F that you can get in the winter though.

I drove by the fishing museum and saw the sign for the giant muskie but didn't go in. I should have, I've since talked to others who have gone there and said they liked the place.

Funny thing is I ran into a customer of mine at the mini-golf place in Hayward. He was sitting on a bench waiting for his kids to finish their round of golf. We chatted for a little bit and my wife just laughed and said that no matter where we go I end up running into someone that I know.