Canadian treasure discovered

Well, not really Canadian, it was made in China. I was just in Canada visiting my mother-in-law (for the first time) and while up there, I walked into a London Drugs Store. Now up there, they have a drug store, and in the drug store is a little audio section where they even have Klipsch bookshelf and floor standing speakers. On display was a Vuum Amp . I had never heard of it, but there it was on a shelf with other discounted items and the tag said $899 slashed to $399. Wow! This is more than 50% off. Even mother-in-law said this is very unusual! I went to they audio person, and I believe he was the manager and asked him about the amp. Hew said that when they reduced the price, he bought one to power his LaScalas [Y] and said he loves the sound. But I still didn't want to just jump in, so I googled the amp. As you can see, not much info is available on the web site. But the Canuck Audio forum was buzzing about it, and that made me pull the trigger. I went back and the manager was off, but another young guy was in his place. I asked him about the amp as well, and he said he loves it. When the price was lowered, he bought one to power his (non Klipsch) speakers. How can I go wrong, Eh?

What's interesting about this is that it looks like the Chinese are making multiple use chassis... Take a look at the Dared MP 7 . I wonder how similar they are. I cannot find a schematic for it, and I don't want to open the bottom until the warranty runs out. I like the sound, but I cannot fully hear it as my ear has been popping after the plane ride. I did have my friend Todd over and he gave a thumbs up. We need to compare this amp again to his Don Allen Mono Blocks...

Even if I didn't like it, I figured I could do some parts upgrades and get it to sound even better, but for now, I'm gonna let my ears adjust.

Hey Dave!

I'm thinking it's really an integrated amp/line stage. Those are three inputs, no phono. I'm not really familiar with these tubes, but it's got a pair of

6P3P (6L6G)

4 6N3

and a 6E2. The 6E2 has what looks like a tuning lamp acting as a power meter...looks like it's a cosmetic thing...

Hey Dave!

I'm thinking it's really an integrated amp/line stage. Those are three inputs, no phono. I'm not really familiar with these tubes, but it's got a pair of

6P3P (6L6G)

4 6N3

and a 6E2. The 6E2 has what looks like a tuning lamp acting as a power meter...looks like it's a cosmetic thing...

Could be. None of the experts have chimed in, but that tube compliment could have a line amp stage if what little I know suggests anything.

Dave

You brought that in a drug store?

London Drugs is quite the chain of drug stores. We don't have anything like them in eastern Canada. They have a useful computer department, an AV section with lots of TVs and a small listening room with lots of Klipsch speakers, mostly Reference or Synergy, I think, with Heritage Series available on special order. There's some clothing, housewares, cameras and accessories, groceries and even a pharmacy!

You brought that in a drug store?

Imagine my surprise when I found it there! OTOH, I had a friend over from Canada and he needed something from a drug store, so I took him to our local one. As we walked through the liquor isle, he froze in his tracks and couldn't believe his eyes, "Alcochol in a drug store?!" he said.

Hey Islander, where are you? We were in Victoria. We could have had a Klipsch gathering, hehe!

Pity I didn't know you were in town, Andy. You could have had a listen to my JubScalas. I'm the only Klipschster who's heard them so far, although everyone who's heard them likes them.

It's not usually this cold at this time of year, either. Hopefully you'll have more pleasant temps for your next visit.

I would have loved that! Next time I go somewhere, I'll post it. Just think, we could have tried out the amp on the JubScalas. And I didn't mind the cold one bit (except while walking). It was in teh 90s here today and already I miss the colder weather. I guess as I get older, I can't stand the heat as well. I'm sure mom-in-law wants us to see her again, so another trip is very possible. Maybe I'll find another great deal there, like a Marantz 8B for 300 bucks? [8][8][8]

where's Canada?

It's that place north of the 49th parallel with national parks the size of Texas, home of Bryston Audio, Simaudio and lots of other famous names.

You are apparently unaware that Alaska is a Texas National Park. [H]

Haven't really heard any listening reports yet?????

Dave

Yeah, my right ear took a while to get over the trip. I've started doing some listening, but not too long before the new purchase, I changed the squawker attenuation on the crossover as most of the new stuff is recorded bright, so it's gonna be harder to tell what's the amp and what's the new setting... but I'll get some done soo, hopefully.

Yeah, the crossover change was planned. The Amp was unplanned [:D] I gotta say, the sound is growing on me. I will ask my friend Todd to bring over his Don Allen SET for comparison. I wish we had a pair of VRDs as well, and perhaps the VRDs will be my ultimate goal....