Reference vs. Synergy, what's the difference?

videoCWK

So since I'm on the look out for a summer job, this means I'll be in the business for floorstanders soon enough. Since they'll most likely be from Klipsch, I want to know the difference between the Reference and Synergy lines. One thing I've noticed is that the References have slightly lower bass response, but what I'm looking for here is significant differences in how they sound. Is one better than the other, or is it a matter of what you like in a speaker?

Oh, and excuse me if this is a stupid question.

HIgh end audio must refer to how high the buyer sticks up his end for the enjoyment of the draining of his bank account. In simple terms reference is better by all reported accounts, and heritage is a different plane altogether. It is hard to go wrong at these levels.

So since I'm on the look out for a summer job, this means I'll be in the business for floorstanders soon enough. Since they'll most likely be from Klipsch, I want to know the difference between the Reference and Synergy lines. One thing I've noticed is that the References have slightly lower bass response, but what I'm looking for here is significant differences in how they sound. Is one better than the other, or is it a matter of what you like in a speaker?

Oh, and excuse me if this is a stupid question.

Since no one seems to have answered the OP's question.

The Ref line uses titanium tweeters instead of aluminum on the Synergy. Aluminum has a tendency of ringing at certain frequencies, it bothers some people, most don't notice it. The Ref series uses Cerametalic woofers (ceramic coated aluminum) and Synergy uses polypropolene woofers. Also the cabinet bracing is slightly better on the ref. Aside from those points and the astetic differences the basic design is pretty similar.

Note: I am assuming you're looking for floorstanding speakers.

I'm a big fan of the synergy series, actually owning a pair of B-3's. What's interesting about the current Synergy series is that the F-3's, at least, are actually based on (and are an improved version of) the old RF-3's, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the series went likewise. They're miles ahead of the old Synergy series, and despite what their prices suggest, they offer extremely good performance. I paid retail price for my B-3's ($330), and still feel they vastly outperform everything in that pricerange, including all of the promedia systems. I haven't heard any reference other than the RF-35's, but I must say that the Synergy can get you mostly there for a lot less $$$.

I would encourage you to ignore the frequency response specifications. My B-3's, for example, are rated down to 55 hz, but I think they have plenty o' bass. Never added a subwoofer, probably never will. Everyone's always looking for the "subwoofer" in my room setup... hahaha.

Oh, and if you want truly amazing all-around speakers for any price, I will put in a plug for the Fortes, because I just got a pair, and they blow me out of the water every time I hear them.

Really, it depends on what your budget is, and what you want to do with them:

You could go Heresys, possibly with a sub if budget allows. Really, as good as the reference series is, it doesn't compete with Klipsch's higher-end three-way systems like the Heritage, IMHO. While the reference will sound great in the store because of their in-your-face presentation and great bass, if you take a pair of Heresys home, you'll realize what you've been missing... a sound that is superior in neutrality, detail, and imaging. I think the Heresys, for what they can be bought on ebay or picked up on craigslist for, are a steal for the resolution they offer. And honestly, while the #1 complaint about them is that they don't have enough bass, they do have bass, and in the right setup, plenty of it. Then again, if you're into pop, rock, rap, and don't really care about the actual quality of instrumental reproduction, then the reference series might be for you because they offer a more impactful sound.

Post back with specifics. There's a lot of knowledge here, and while you honestly can't go wrong with most any pair of Klipsch speakers, people here can help you find a pair that you'll like the best before you go off buying and selling you find out what you like.

Well I doubt I'll be making more than minimum wage, I failed to mention that this will be my first job, and being 14, there aren't a lot of job options to begin with. I was looking at RF-52s as I'm sure that if I didn't make $600 by the end of the summer, I could make up the rest in allowance. If you haven't guessed though, this pretty much leaves Heritage speakers off my possibilities list (unless I can find a really nice deal somewhere, though that isn't likely since even if a store around here had some I wouldn't know because my mom doesn't like going to one audio store let alone several so I can see what I can find). Though for all I know I could run into something from Klipsch next time I go to the flea market, and this particular flea market is a great place to find really good deals on things.

To be honest, floorstanders will likely be more than enough for my room. I figured I'd most likely get RF-52s because they seem like they'd work OK in my room without having the "these speakers are too big for this room" effect. That, and they typically have more bass, which I want. The reason for this is because in the future when I have a different room for these or a different setup, I don't want to have to get new speakers in the case of having bookshelves that are smaller than what I want speakers for. For example, if we were to move into a house with a bigger basement, they'd probably go down there for use with video games (right now I'm using an old Bose Lifestyle system, eep), or if we moved into a house where I'd have a bigger room, then my video games would probably go in that room along with the speakers, and if my room was big enough for my video game setup, it'd be nice to have more than bookshelves. Of course, when I'm actually shopping and have a chance to listen for myself I might end up getting bookshelves if they seem adequate or if I'm simply too far away from having enough for floorstanders. After all, everyone knows to shop for what sounds best to you.

Those Synergy bookshelves really seem good though, if I have to go the way of the bookshelf I'll make sure I look at those first. If I like them whenever I get a chance to listen, I might get a pair sometime to replace the Bose system with. I want to put the RF-52s in my room (especially since my current video game setup would only allow for bookshelves, there simply isn't anywhere to put floorstanders where they wouldn't be in the wrong place for proper listening) and want to replace the Bose eventually, if I do I'll think of these bookshelves as a possibility. Thanks for all the help.

Then Reference it is. Thanks for the help.

What do you plan on powering the speakers with?

Having a minimal income at only 14 years old...........Keep an eye out for used equipment as well as speakers. Their are some great deals out there if you're patient. [:D]

I actually still haven't picked an amplifier. What would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something versatile that has a lot of inputs (I'm gonna start by just plugging my computer into it, then I'll gradually add things such as a turntable and SACD player and maybe a Buttkicker if the amp allows), maybe something that can also power a second set of speakers (not necessarily in a surround setup though, unless there's one that lets me have two sets and a center that would let me toggle between using the two sets with the same input and surround) if I should ever need to do that.

As for used stuff, I know a great place at a flea market that sells used equipment. They're indoors (it's just a smallish garage area, but that still keeps the sun off the equipment) and is in my experience (not a whole lot), not a bad place. I don't know if they let you test equipment before you buy it though. I haven't looked a whole lot at much other than vinyl there, though I don't remember a lot of stuff being very expensive. In fact, that's probably where I'm going to get a new record player to replace my current one since a Technics SL1200 is a little out of my reach. I'll also be looking at used speakers, though unless it's a brand I know and like (like Klipsch) or one I've heard a lot about and wanted to try but couldn't find any of (like Wharfedale) I'll probably be going with the RF-52s. And of course, if that indoor place doesn't let me try speakers before I buy them, then I just won't buy them. Even if it was from Klipsch I wouldn't buy the speakers if I couldn't test them first.

Look for a used Harman/Kardon 430 on ebay. Great deal.

Honestly, you CAN afford heritage with $600. I've seen perfectly good pairs of Heresys go for $250 on ebay or less. Just be patient, wait, watch craigslist, and watch ebay, and you'll get what you want by the end of the summer, guaranteed. I always tell my friends when they're about to buy something on ebay to wait two weeks before hitting the bid button. You may think the greatest deal has come by after only a few days of being on ebay, but I can guarantee it's just one of many, and you're going to want to watch the prices for a while.

I'm not sure the RF-52's would be the best choice, not because they're a bad speaker, but because there are so many RF-3's, RF-3 II's, and RF-35's out there at this point that you'll probably just want to look for a pair of those. I don't care what the specs say, 8" woofers are going to produce vastly superior bass compared to 5.25" woofers.

Look for a used Harman/Kardon 430 on ebay. Great deal.

Honestly, you CAN afford heritage with $600. I've seen perfectly good pairs of Heresys go for $250 on ebay or less. Just be patient, wait, watch craigslist, and watch ebay, and you'll get what you want by the end of the summer, guaranteed. I always tell my friends when they're about to buy something on ebay to wait two weeks before hitting the bid button. You may think the greatest deal has come by after only a few days of being on ebay, but I can guarantee it's just one of many, and you're going to want to watch the prices for a while.

I'm not sure the RF-52's would be the best choice, not because they're a bad speaker, but because there are so many RF-3's, RF-3 II's, and RF-35's out there at this point that you'll probably just want to look for a pair of those. I don't care what the specs say, 8" woofers are going to produce vastly superior bass compared to 5.25" woofers.

In that case, I'll see if I can find some Heresys within my price range. EBay does look promising, I'll gather up some money and keep an eye on it. Quick question though, how can I tell which model of the Heresy I'm looking at? Most auctions just say "Heresy" without describing which. Thanks for all the help though, now a Heresy is much more likely to happen.

And that amp does look pretty good, but I have one question, would there be some way I could use two subs on it without sacrificing performance? It's not actually for two subs, I just want to use a buttkicker as well as an eventual sub with it (thebuttkicker.com).

One more thing though, you'll have to keep in mind that there are only one or two places around here that sell Klipsch, and they don't sell used. And since Klipsch doesn't seem extremely popular around my area (I'm basing this off the fact that every Bose display at every store that has them usually has a bunch of people crowding around it, or people stopping to admire "that killer sound system""), it's not likely that I'd find a lot of them used. I'll definitely be looking at what I can find on eBay though. Heresys look good, though naturally I'll be looking at other lines as well to see if I can get ahold of something for a really good deal.

Edit: Also, what exactly is a preamp, and should I use one in the case of Heresys? I've read a few reviews in which they were used, so what does one do, how does it improve the sound, should I get one, and how much should I spend on one? Thanks.