svs16-46 and denon 3802... bass????

beday00

I just received my svs16-46 and samson s700 and am not getting as much bass as everyone seems to be describing on this board and was looking for some help to make sure i have everything set up properly. I'm running everything through a Denon 3802 and was wondering how other people with a similar setup have things configured.

I have digital coax going from the dvd player to the 3802. then i have the provided better cable going from the 3802 sw preout to the s700 input1. finally i have some cheap monster cable(soon to be replaced) going from ouput1 to the sub. The s700 is in stereo mode.

(My mains are the RF-3's, so should the svs completely blow away the mains when turned up?)

Have you set all your speakers to "small", and told the Denon sub yes? Where is your sub in the room? Have you tried a corner?

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Not enough bass!?!? My heavens, in that room, your organs should bleed out with that system. There must be something wrong. Contact the guys at SVS, and they may help you through it. Make sure to check that your speakers are all in phase (red to red, black to black...)

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Where do you have the Channel 1 gain set on the Samson (that's the Channel 1 volume knob)? I have mine set 4 clicks back from 0. On my 4800, I have the SW volume set at -7, and this was calibrated using the Video Essentials DVD and a Rat Shack SPL meter set to 75db. Mine is setup just like yours, btw. Just out of curiosity, which DVD player do you have and how have you setup the audio on it (DTS, DD 5.1, etc)?

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

beday, I believe your problem lies with the "direct mode" If you are listening to a DVD (assuming you are using a single cable connection,optical or wire) you must select DTS or DD depending on the type of DVD you are listening to.

My understanding of the "Direct Mode" is as follows:

If source connections is Analog:

The material is not put throught an DAC, so a "more pure" sounding material is heard. The main speakers will play the full range of the sound, ie they act as the setting are "Large" and a analog filter will "copy" the material that is below the crossover point and port it to the Sub. So you get below 80Hz in both the main speakers and Sub

If source connections is Digital:

The material is put through a DAC, but not completely (I think) The logic here is that a DVD is not fully decoded into all the channels, but only to the main speakers + sub. Again, the main speakers will play the full range of the sound and a DIGITAL filter will "copy" the material that is below the crossover point and port it to the Sub. So you get below 80Hz in both the main speakers and Sub

As for the other settings,

Speakers settings: Small

Sub Setting: YES

Samson Amp settings:

Channel Input level: 0 db

Bridged/Stereo/Parrallel Switch: Stereo position

Using a Ratshack SPL meter & Avia DVD, i had to have the following settings for the line levels (75 dB)Front Lch Vol +2db

Front Rch Vol +2db

SW Vol -4db

With the SVS, i bet that your line level will be LESS then the setting of the main speakers. Note: I have an SVS Ultra that has a few more dB.

Last...that cheap monster cable should be fine, i had some floating around after going to biwire and it works great.

-Dave

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

Well I played around using some of your suggestions and I'm pretty sure you guys were right about the out of phase part.... sounds much better now (i thought i had checked that but i guess not). As far as the DVD player goes it is the Sony DVP-S570D (wanting to replace it with a denon when i get the money). It is connected using a digital coax cable and the player has the following settings for output

Digital Out: ON

Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital (D-PCM is the other option)

DTS: DTS (D-PCM is the other option)

48khz/96khz PCM: 96khz/24bit (48khz/16bit is the other option)

Thanks for all your help

drpyro, direct mode w/ a digital connect bypasses the dsp (digital signal processor that does the bass mgmt, effects, eq, etc.) if you play a 5.1 channel disk in direct mode you'll get sound from all 5 speaks & sub.

if you play a 2 channel disk it'll go to just the front

2 speaks, no sub. iow in direct or analog the sound goes to the speakers specified by the # of channels on the disk or source.

when i used my marantz for 5.1 dvd, i liked the direct mode caus it sent full range sound to all 5.1 speaks.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa-

I'm only speaking from my experience with my Denon 3801. The 3802 might do as you say and output the material based on the number of encoded channels.

In Direct mode (3801), All channels are routed to the front & sub channels. (if the sub is set to yes) AND you use the builtin Amps!!! If you use a external Amp...it could function as you say (if memory serves me, you do use a external amp with yours)

The reason that i say "some kind" of signal processing must be done is that sound is coming from the sub channel, but now that you mention it, the reason could be that it is sending the full range sound to the front & sub and the sub can only produce up to around 120 Hz.

-Dave

------------------

dr, you are correct sir! going by the chart on page 58 of the manual it does look like the 3801 is the not same as my marantz. iow, direct on the denon must use the dsp to produce sub output. no other way since 2 channel material rarely has a 3rd sub channel on it.

so direct to denon means it bypasses most of the dsp functions. go figure. last time i make those assumptions across makes as it's all in the electronics

& what they decide to name 'em. Redface.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-30-2002 at 12:04 AM

Boa

No problem...I thought you knew something i didn't..so i ended up playing and testing it...just to be sure.

And I can't pick on a fellow Kansanite.

-Dave

------------------