Questions in Sound on a Slow Day in Chicagoland...

experiments in sound...

...things I do when I have the rare too much time on my hands...

...does anyone know why oh why speakers that are revered sound less
than thrilling to me and others sound well beyond the sum of their
parts to me???

Experiment: How do speakers from Klipsch compare to each other???

Equipment:

Power: Tube EICO HF 81 Integrated amplifier, Solid State
McIntosh MA6200 integrated amplifier both in updated/refreshened
"stock" configuration.

Transport: Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1, Toshiba SD-3950

Interconnects: Nothing outstanding for you audiophiles but not garbage biggrin.gif

Speakers: Klipsch Quartets, Klipsch RB-5s, Klipsch kg1s
(Quartets with new Crites XOvers, RB-5s not abused but nearly 8 years
old, kg1s as new)

I listened to several selections and this is still a work in progress but some early observations:

kg1s...by FAR the smallest of the three but very big
sound...they lack in bass but they sound sonically like Klipsch and to
this more Heritage trained ear...very Heritage like...I really enjoy
these...through Tubes or SS very nice and smooth...lacking in bass
compared to the others but duh...

RB-5s...especially compared to the kg1s...LOTSA bass and
a nice sounding speaker...a few years ago when I compared these to my
Heresys I was taken aback by how these had bass well over the Heresy at
about a half the size...the only time I found these lacking was in
direct comparison to the Heresy at that time and I thought it might be
the 2 way to 3 way thing...plus I am more accustomed to
Heritage...comparing them now, I found myself preferring the kg1s for
up top and they don't stand up to the Quartet but then the Quartet is
quite a bit bigger than the Reference RB-5 and is a bit more efficient
(90dB-96dB-97.5dB for the kg1-RB-5-Quartet)...nice but I am not blown
away...I thought they sounded better with the McIntosh than the EICO
but the lil EICO that could (14wpc VS 75wpc) puts out a bit more bass
when all are set to flat...

Quartets...these put out some BIG sound...and something
more like what I am used to...(I have Klipschorns too)...big
bass...nice mids and crisp highs (better than they were...thanks Bob
Crites!)...I like the sound better hooked to Tubes but nice with SS as
well...SO...

...what is the deal here???...why would I like the sound of the
diminutive kgs more than the same tunes through both Tube and SS power
than the RB-5s...nothing wrong with the RB-5s as far as I can tell
but...I also realize that someone can't tell me how speakers should
sound and these RB-5s are VERY well thought of but I seem to prefer
kgs, Heresys, Quartets to the Reference sound...I want to love these
speakers but listening to them they seem to play thrid, fourth, fifth
fiddle to the others...any ideas or suggestions???...thumbsup.gif

Bill

still really enjoying that EICO Daddy Dee...perhaps I am spoiled...if so I have all of you to thank for it...4 years ago I had one receiver, one pair of speakers, a turntable, cassette deck and a CD player...then I found this place...[:D]

Bill

Sorta' like me, "I never knew my stereo sucked, until I joined this Forum" ............ EH !!!!!! ... I've got a question you can answer, What gets better gas mileage, The Corvette, or the GTO ? ........... I owned KG4's for over 20 years, loved them, defended them, but then I got the Heresy's, and after an adjustment period, became to like the heresy's better, then foolish me, I bought Cornwalls, and Sold my KG4's because after those other speakers, I could never go back to the KG4's .......... mind you, I was or am not sorry I owned those KG4's, but ................

...good stuff.. something we all need to do once in a while.

My first good go at this I was surprised at my preference for KSB1.1 over many other Klipsch speakers (in a volume balanced comparison).

Try it guys- you might get some surprises!

Hey, I wore my Klipsch SanFran Tshirt to a meeting the other day and THREE people came up to me to talk about Klipsch! How cool is that!

I have several different amps , integrate, etc I keep coming back to my lowly Sansui AU 7900 ($150) and my BC re-capped Heresy II's that I have in my office.....For low to mid level listening in a small room it's really sweet !!!! I've had a few diff Mcintosh setups in my day.....I have the giant killer Sansui AU-111 out at service and a deal brewing for some vrds (that I am familiar with through my Klipschorns w/ ALK networks)

do I love my other gear ? hell yeah! but there's something about that cheep amp and small speakers that just very very sweet to me???? I can't figure it out either.

OB...the C5 gets about 17-18 in mostly city driving...the GTO only 14...

Michael...I bought a pair of the KSB 1.1s for the garage on your recommendation...sound nice powered by a MAC1900 right now...

Fenderbender...I think one reason I like some of the stuff I have is the added tip in of the very low price I paid for them...something about getting something for so little that pays such large dividends...sweeeeeeeet!

Bill

...something about getting something for so little that pays such large dividends...sweeeeeeeet!

I agree. The guy that brags about how much his gear is worth can go scratch.........Klipsch= high end sound without the high end price [Y]

true...some do but I would feel better about having a $100 pair of speakers that shine over a $900 pair that sounds lacking...if nothing more than to my ear...I was hoping to get some feedback from the RB-5 and similar speaker owners that might shed some light on what I might be doing wrong if anything, missing, etcetera...I listened to them a bit more this morning and they sound really nice...just whenever I get the idea that I need to sell soem of this stuff off {:D]...the RB-5s are usually the first I think of to put on the block...

...I wouldn't have them now 'cept my Sis wanted them but closingin on 2 years since we decided this and everytime I ask she tells me she wants them but no room at the inn presently...

Bill

she wants them but no room at the inn presently...

Storage Fee time !!!! ...... When I got the Cornwalls, I did what I said I would never do, I sold my KG4's. It became apparent to me, that after the H2's, and Cornwalls, the KG4's just wouldn't fill the bill anymore .... Spoiled, I am ... so sell them to someone who is just starting the endless walk of audio. I got over 20 years of great service from them, they still looked new. I guess point being, something had to go, so the 2 ways found a new home ...... sorta' like what you are thinking, if you have to sell something might as well be RB-5's, for many reasons ............