Need medium directional indoor HDTV antenna. Any suggestions?

Colin

I need a medium directional indoor HDTV antenna to pick up a dozen UHF and VHF signals from 157 to 161 degrees, at 15 miles away. These will capture the major over the air broadcasts, except CBS. To cpature CBS, I might need an amplifier and a new antenna direction (so it is not worth it).

TV is on first floor of concrete block TH, located on a slight rise, with trees but no buildings blocking the path to the south. Since I am getting an antenna, FM would also be nice. Any suggestions?

I highly recommend the Philips MANT-510.

Its got 50 dB of adjustable gain. Only $30 at Wal-Mart and worth every penny.

Most of my stations are 30-35 miles away and it picks them up no problem. Your midrange 15 mile requirements would be no problem for this thing.

post-24571-138193815117_thumb.jpg

post-24571-13819392926012_thumb.jpg

Theoretically yes, however in my area some of the Digital stations are transmitting low power and reception is not good. I had to get a huge outdoor antenna to compensate. The NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, are OK as they have adaquate power. And even then you will get some real funny probagational issues that affect digital stations (unlock) even with good signals. MCM electronics has a selection that can be shipped UPS. You might check the AVS forum for your city to see what people are doing.

JJK

Just try it and see, what inside can do. The less indoor to the outside is preferable like through glass. Instead of ghosting, multipathing with analog that you can see, the digital on marginal signals love to pop in, and out. Real fun! Sometimes in Florida a little trimming of the offending plant life helps. A clear line-of sight(LOS) is always preferable. Meanwhile the less cable used if over 25 feet is a nice thing. You can use the existing analog signals to help find sweet spots sometime.

Thanks, that is what I am looking for, I can put the antenna next to the slider, but actually getting some signal might be nice, I don’t watch network TV, I can’t abide the ridiculous censorship, editing and massive quantity of commercials. So anything would be better than nothing.

Don't know your area but the PBS feeds may yeild 4 or 5 digital channels!

If you can purchase on trial, that would be cool. Most electronics stores like Radio Shack do not like to have returned. If they say yes, get their name on the receipt.

If have to go with outside antenna that is not a biggie, depending upon your setup. A UHF 4 bay for instance.

In the spirit of keeping it simple, I like the indoor designs preferably, although sometime, it does require some creativity. If the line of sight is OK then like satellite, through a glass can and do work, dependent upon the layout.

I have heard of Hovermans' work and like the antenna shown at the link above. What is required now is: What works, for your situation.

Not really an indoor antenna, but could be mounted indoors:

Gray-Hoverman.