help me match-make - UPDATE: Match-made!

Sky Hits

Hello again, brothers and sisters of the good sound:

I last checked in here after I'd discovered that my old sony integrated amp is falling apart. In the middle of a great Fourth of July weekend of entertaining guests (including the parents) with the fantastic sound of my La Scalas, the Sony finally kicked the bucket. So, I'd like to take some suggestions on a new or used intergrated amp...or possibly seperates. The trick is, I'm on a tight budget. I'd really like to spend no more than $300 to $500. Here in Chicago there is a great shop called Saturday Audio Exchange (saturdayaudio.com). They sell new and used gear and I plan to stop by tomorrow afternoon. On the new side, they sell Jolida tube integrateds (albeit probably pricier than I am looking) and the latest NAD for solid state. I'd love to go tube, but don't know if that's feasible.

Oh, and if it's of interest, my source is a technics 1200 with a Grado Gold cart.

Any advice/suggestions? Advice specific to Chicago is welcome too.

Thanks as always!

-Seth

• 2 weeks later...

[:D]

The above is my abbreviated review of bringing the Sophia Music Baby into my system.

Brad (wpines), responded to my initial post with a really generous offer of his Sophia Music Baby, and I am really, really glad that I took him up on it. The Baby is a very simple and accessible as well as attractive piece. It was no trouble to insert the six tubes and secure my speaker cables. More difficult was the anticipation while I waited 30 minutes (the instruction manual says 20 is sufficient) for it to warm up.

After the warm-up period, the fun began: When I first posted on these forums after obtaining my La Scalas last spring, someone responded with the recommendation that tubes go with horns like maple syrup with flapjacks. They weren't foolin'. I have this incredible Nat King Cole record where he plays piano (no vocals this time) with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra.

JoLP7011.jpg

The piano sounds so lovely, warm and expressive and when the horns start hitting....wow! As predicted (by Brad and the many reviews I read of the Baby) the mid-range detail is really lovely (tangible and airy) with this pairing, voices, pianos, strings, all sound really beautiful. Also, there is a much better extension into the high frequencies than I was hearing with my old Sony. The squawker and tweeter seem to be coordinating much better now.

As for the bass, I think I'm noticing more clearly now (thanks to the Baby) the limitations of the La Scala low frequency extension. Perhaps in the future I will consider finding a suitable sub to introduce into the system. Bass playing is not quite as visceral as I would like, especially for reggae, jazz and dance music.

My only complaint with the design of the Baby is that the gold volume knob tends to heat up from being so near the tubes. Not to an untouchable level, but a nice touch would have been a volume knob that doesn't conduct heat so well (perhaps it could be coated with latex or the like, I'm no expert.)

All in all, this was a big improvement in my sound for a very reasonable investment. The clarity that I have now at lower volumes (a real limitation of my old Sony) is tremendous. My room is roughly 13' x 13' and I am achieving a very full sound with the volume knob of the Baby just under half way up, and if I go down from there, I am still satisfied with the detail and balance of what I am hearing.

Aside from the Nat King Cole, I've so far enjoyed Bobby Caldwell, Ella Fitzgerald, Alberta Hunter, Sarah Vaughn, Nina Simone, Burning Spear, Grace Jones, Paul Simon and several dance 12"s that I assume would only interest a small number of you...

Lots more listening to do tonight (and on, of course), but let me finish by thanking Brad once again as well as all of you for your sound advice, sound support and collected/collective wisdom and generosity. I'll be sure to post a picture or two as soon as I can pause from listening to get batteries for the camera.

Cheers!

Seth