Need Help w/Component Connections

thewolf

I'm kind of confused, looking for advice how to connect components in a home theatre system. What type of cables will get me the optimal performance from the gear? Not sure how they connect together. Here's what I got:

LCD HD TV - Samsung LN52A750

AV Processor - Outlaw 990

Satellite Box - Direct TV

DVR - Direct TV

PS3 - Sony 80gb

DVD - Sony

Looking for point to point connections and best cables to use for that connection. Thanks.

Gary (HT newbie)

the question is how not where....lol

the best is hdmi. i don't think the outlaw has any of those so your next choice would be coponent (red-blue-green). are you trying to connect everthing to the outlaw and then out to the tv? (so basically you can only hear your stuff with your speakers).

me personally i would go hdmi from your direct tv to your tv. (you won't be using your ht speakers at all this way)

then i would go: component from ps3 and dvd to outlaw, and then component from outlaw to tv. if you had a receiver with hdmi inputs you would use all hdmi. you could also look into a hdmi switching unit, but i don't know much about which ones are good or have much experience with them.

hope that helps.

once you do decide on whay type of cables you are going to use try www.monoprice.com they have the best prices on everything.

Thanks Inventor....this is beginning to make sense.

I am planning to turn off the speakers on the TV and use the HT speakers exclusively.

Therefore, the route for the 3 devices (direct TV, DVD, PS3) will be component cables from device to Outlaw. Then do I need 3 more sets of component cables to connect from the Outlaw to the TV?

Gary

That will take care of the video portion. If you do NOT have HDMI, you will need either a digital coax or optic cable for the audio side to enjoy true 5.1 DD or DTS. You will need one of these for each source going to your preamp or receiver input.

samson, you are correct...good thinking, forgot about the dvi. if you don't want to do the component cables from the outlaw to the tv, then you can buy a hdmi/ dvi cable and hook it up that way. i am pretty sure monoprice has one of those. now does anyone know if the outlaw can accept all different types of cables in and send it out on a different cable? i know it's old, but my sony couldn't. if i hooked up component cables, then i had to have a component cable out. i ran into this problem trying to have one cable to the tv. i had to go with the yellow connection to the tv because the playstation 2 had the yellow/red/white in to the receiver. so the cable box and dvd player also had to be a yellow.

wolf, if you aren't 100% sure on what cables to get or how they hook up, you can call outlaw and they will give you all the tech support you need. those guys are great. i know you don't want to go out a buy a bunch of cables and then find out you are missing one or have too many.

here you go, just looked at monoprice and the outlaw 990. it has 2 dvi in and 1 dvi out.

hook up your dvr/sat with a hdmi cable. (no ht) {sat to tv}

hook up your dvd (if it has a hdmi connection) with this hdmi/ dvi cable {dvd to 990}

hook up your ps3 with this adapter (assuming your ps3 has the hdmi cables already). {ps3 to 990}

hook up 990 to tv with this hdmi/dvi cable

all the cables are 6' lengts. i don't know what you actually need. you can choose from many different lengts, just remember to get the "certified catagory 2" cables. they have both so be careful you get the right ones. again you can call monoprice to make sure it's the right catagory. i think that should give you the cleanest cable connection possible.

Excellent summary Inventor.

I want to use my HT speakers for SAT viewing, so I will go with hdmi/dvi {sat to 990}.

The DVD is old-school, no hdmi. I'll go with optical cable and video cables into the 990.

Thanks again for all the help.

Gary

hey don't forget to call outlaw and make sure that the dvi input will pass the audio with the hdmi cables as i discribed. i know someone who bought a receiver and the hdmi didn't pass the audio because it was v1.2 or something like that.