Palladium Listening Party Take 2

There is a chance that my Palladium P-39f are on a truck on their way to the soon to be frozen wastelands of Wisconsin. There is also a chance that by next weekend (August 2nd) I'll also have a P-27c keeping them company.

The proposed event, for those who didn't see my last post (when I thought this was shipping in May):

Right now there's very little chance you'll be able to listen to the P-39f unless you made it to a pilgrimage. The chance to play with these is pretty neat in and of itself, but wait, there's more! I'm inviting people to, within reason, bring any amp, pre- amp, transport, record player, green markers or cable elevators they would be interested in using with the P-39fs for some 2ch experimentation. If you were miffed that you didn't get to hear the P-39f with NOSvalves and a wacky record player at the pilgrimage now's your chance, you just need to convince people to bring these things to my house. World famous forum members Boomac and j-malotky live pretty near here so we might very well turn this into a nice Wisconsin Klipsch Fest.

The Timing:

So, I have a vacation in the middle of August. The weekend of August 2nd or August 9th might work. However, word has reached my ears that two of our favorite Klipsch employees will be attending the Harley Davidson 105th Anniversery celebration in Milwaukee the weekend of August 29th and since hotels are impossible to come by they are staying with a certain forum member down the road from me. I won't reveal their names because that would be wrong. If their names rhyme with "Grey Flannon" and "Grieve Helps" I can't be blamed for the coincidences riddling the English language.

Disclaimer: these guys may want nothing to do with any Klipsch-y stuff this weekend no matter how much alder planked catfish and smoked ribs I offer. Or they may be interested in enjoying some beer & music with some forum members. Who can say...

If folks are interested, I'd like to shoot for the weekend of August 8/9 or August 29/30/31. The FedEx truck could be hijacked by terrorists or Wisconsin could fall into Lake Michigan but this time I think the event is actually going to happen.

I am looking to gauge interest and for feedback on dates and activities.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds very interesting...

I know Hurd might be coming to Chicago on the 11th, which might make it convenient for him to swing by your place on the 9th/10th ish and then down to Chicago for the concert we're going to.

Madison is what, like 3 hours away?

Good luck, I hope your event comes off this time. I wish I were closer and could come. But PLEASE, if the event does occur, afterward post in detail your and others' impressions of the Palladiums. As an owner of 2003 Khorns, I'd be particularly interested in what persons with Khorn experience think about how the new Big Guys compare. For example, Khorns are amplifier sensitive and can be bass-shy until you find the right amp + Khorn matchup. I wonder how amplifier-sensitive the Palladiums will be. Even the mighty Khorn can benefit from subwoofer support way down low. How about the Palladiums?

The Palladiums will need a suwboofer if you want output below 40Hz....much like the Khorn really.

I think a sub is quite a bit less needed with K-horns than Palladiums.

My classical session was with a really fine Palladium surround sound setup (P-37's, center, surrounds, and sub), and I thought it was really outstanding for replicating highly accurate instrument and vocal sound AND full range, with plenty of bottom-end depth from the double basses (41 Hz lowest note).

The next day, I listened to a P-39 pair with a center but no sub or surrounds, and it was clear that the sub was needed for the heftiest lowest notes of strings, winds and tympani. OTOH, the 3-channel Heritage setup (2 K-horns and a Belle) seemed to do just fine without a sub, like my K-horns here at home.

If it comes down to lowest frequency spec, the K-horn's 33 Hz works audibly better than the Palladium's 39 Hz.

I have to say that the finances bother me if Palladiums need a sub for a satisfactorily full range for classical music.

Was this 6hz difference experienced in rooms close to the same size? How many extra db of bass might be coming from a Belle? What extra DSP was going on in the 3ch room?

I'd describe it as a third of an octave or an interval of a major third, since "6 Hz" by itself conveys little -- it's a minuscule difference in the mid-range and above, but becomes increasingly important in the 16-ft (33 to 64 Hz) octave, and huge in the 32-ft (17 to 33 Hz) octave if anyone listens down that far. As I opined, I thought it made an audible difference in lowest string bass notes.

The Heritage setup was in a much larger room, width of close to 30', vs. maybe 20 feet wide in that smaller HT room that holds only 15 seats. However, I don't think room size chops off lows like that. The P-39 was in a larger room than the P-37 anyway. IIRC, the Belle (lower freq spec = above 40 anyway) was set 12 db below the K-horns, which might have added part of a db at best but not below 40 FWIW. The advantage of the Belle IMO was the addition of midrange sound radiating area, which IMHO enhanced soundstage spread, detail, and clarity.

Lessee, DSP = digital sound processing I believe, and as I recall the only delay was the Belle as a unit by a few milliseconds, in addition to lowered level (a thread in the Pilgrimage section deals with this). No delay was inserted between any of the drivers in any of the 3 speakers (a question I specifically asked).

However, I don't think room size chops off lows like that.

Rooms modes are a function of the room's dimensions...

The smaller room of the Pals put a major null right around 50Hz (if I'm remembering correctly), which can easily give the impression that they don't dig down to 40Hz...especially when most of the musical content being played didn't hit 40 or lower very often.

Also, the Pals were pulled out away from the corners which is going to introduce some losses in the bass region too....though I think this was done on purpose to decrease blurring in the lower mids caused by the undersized squawker horn (loss of pattern control down low). Really, that room was too small for pulling the Pals outta the corners like that, but I'm sure it's how they sounded best in that room. In other words, the bass performance we heard from the Pals could very likely be a very different experience in a different room.

And finally, the Khorn spec is +-4dB, which can get misleading when you consider the behavior of the Khorn in the 100-250Hz region. The Pals are rated +-3dB, but if you saw the FR measurement they provided, it's really more like +1, -3dB....making the relative loudness of the Pal at the bottom of its response actually louder than the Khorn. The Khorn really "blooms" at the upper bass frequencies and is rolling off real early. Depending on the network you have, this is either EQ'd out or not.

So all that to say, I would argue that the low frequency extension of the Khorn and Palladium are extremely similar. In fact, just about every full sized floorstander speaker put out by Klipsch is rolling off somewhere between 30-40Hz.

• Moderators

They are in Milwaukee according to freight tracking.

Delivery appointment =3pm CST

Like Christmas in July, congratulations Damonrpayne, hope you have help to move them around.