emotiva amplifiers

thecutter

I want to upgrade my amp. I was looking at the Emotiva line. I was leaning toward either the MPS-2 , class H amplifier or the XPA5 and XPA-2. Thw latter are class A/B.

Any opinions on which would sound better with Reference RF-63 set-up? I am looking to buy soon.

how much power do you want to send? i am using the lpa-1 for the front 3 (bi-amped) you would have to go with the newer model, the lpa-1 is discontinued. what processor are you using?

i am going to let my onkyo 805 power the rears so i only need the 1 amp.

The Emotiva amps are good solid amps,I've owned a wide variety,they compete with anything new(and surpass some) for about half the price.With the 30 day return policy if all else fails you get your money back.I bought mine prepared to use the policy,I never wanted to,as I have many times before.It was just so much for a reasonable price,in a time where average people pay 1000+ bucks for an avr.

I'll prolly get an xp5 when I upgrade to the new prepro,if it's better than the lpa1 it would have to be outstanding.

I added an MPS-1 to my system about a year and a half ago. It really opened up my RF-7's and RC-7. They are very efficient, but they do like power. The MPS really lets them breath. They seem to have more detail and a lot more punch. The MPS never has any trouble keeping up with them. I went with the class H because of the separate modules with their own power. I am not an electronics guru, so my common sense approach may not matter. I just thought the individual transformers made sense and the flexibility of configuration was also attractive.

Anyway, I have been very happy with an MPS-1 hooked to my Reference 7's. I use my system for 95% movies and the soundtracks seem more dynamic.

I've had my Emotiva amps for almost 4 weeks now, I highly recommend the XPA-2 amp with a set of RF-7 mains. I feel they are a perfect match for each other, excellent for two channel or HT purposes. For the rest of your system the XPA-3 or -5 depending on 5 or 7 channel preference. The RF-7s absolutely wail on the 500 watt XPA-2 without breaking a sweat with plenty left over for peaks. Throw in the pretty blue lights, the five year warranty, and the great price and you have a set of amps guaranteed to satisfy.

fish,

so the lpa-1, you are very happy with it? i finally took mine out of the box, hooked it up to the onkyo 805, and played a cd. i will say it sounded amazing! i didn't have the volume up too loud but it sounded very good. i am happy i bought that amp.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been a number of postings about the diffferences between the XPA-x and the MPS/RPA. The general line is that the XPAs have more power and H class (RPA & MPS) have a bit more separation and detail but the differences are small. Both seem to make their owners happy. I bought the LPA and was very happy....so much so that I am looking to add an XPA/RPA for my mains...I myself am looking for the detail vs the power, since Klipsch Heritage don't really need much power. Good luck, it's always tough to choose, especially when you can't go out and listen first.

fish,

so the lpa-1, you are very happy with it? i finally took mine out of the box, hooked it up to the onkyo 805, and played a cd. i will say it sounded amazing! i didn't have the volume up too loud but it sounded very good. i am happy i bought that amp.

Sorry for the delayed reply,I sometimes respond to a thread and don't follow up.I've been as happy with the lpa1 as any amp I've owned under a thousand dollars,retail and street.Lotsa power,reliable and a steal at it's price,I assume the next generation will be a great value also,I'll know later in the year.