Bob Crites' Crossovers

http://tinyurl.com/5vf5x2

I've noticed there are discussions out here about Bob Crites' crossovers. The above link is to a set on Ebay. Bob may well be a member of these forums.

Would somebody mind explaining to me what the benefit of buying these are? My Cornwalls are pretty old. I got them used. What could I expect if I put these in my Cornwalls? I'm currently running an HK AVR-7300. I do have buzzing and humming in my Cornwalls but that's another subject, I expect.

Thank you.

Mike Gallery

Illinois

the caps and whatnot (sorry, I failed electronicspeak) dry out over time you get more resistance and less of the sound that PWK put into his speaker designs...by updating the crossovers...you get a pair of speakers that sound like they did when they left the factory in Hope...like brand new speakers!...Bob is BEC here and I have used him for two pair of Heresys and a pair of Quartets...easy, painless, satisfaction!

Bill

and new crossovers may not be necessary, having yours recapped may do the trick....Bob had mine back to me in less than a week including shipping

drop bob a line and ask his opinion on what the best option is bobcrites@mac.com

my heresies and cornwalls are like new speakers after recapping......

Mike,

You've been given good advice above. Bob is indeed a member of this forum. Klipsch ID: BEC

As mentioned above, new caps are really all that's needed to restore your crossovers. The other hardware is still fine.

Bob supplies caps in kit form for DIY or turn key refurb on your crossovers if you prefer.

Some folks prefer to swap out completely new crossovers in order to save the originals as original. There is some merit to the idea of having the original unmodded crossovers available if you ever want to sell your speakers on Ebay.

I see (hear) it this way, new caps bring Klipsch Speakers back to Factory Specs, Bob's new Crossovers opens up the crossovers to a level above Klipsch Specs, and I have a feeling they are part of a package with the CT 125's, that bring the Klipsch Speakers to a higher level of response and smoothness. I was happy with the crossovers, and I am REAL happy with the xovers, and the CT 125's ........... I'll never look back now !!!!

It's the smoothness that I got when I "upgraded" my old vertical Cornwalls with a new B&K (BEC) crossover pair.

My old Corns were a bit painful to listen to at the higher volumes that I like once in a while.

There MUST have been a peak in the response at that point (that painful point.)

The new crossovers seemed to flatten out the response and those old corns became a pleasure to hear.

At this point I have a few pairs. I have NO regrets.

Noah

...as I recall Bob has said in the past..."the parts were cheap to begin with..." (crossover parts) and on many reside on the terminal cups which will one day break free of their moorings...damaging your speakers...change them and you will be happy you did.

Bill