Buying a McIntosh HELP!

Wrench722

Don't know the seller, but that is a fine amp for Klipsch. I am currently using an MC2505 (the 2100 is the same amp, minus meters but twice the power), and it sounds very nice. I may be selling my 2505 in the near future, I will post it in the garage section when I'm ready. Do some research on here for MC2505 and MC250 (50 watts, with and w/o meters), and MC2105 and 2100 (100 watts with and w/o meters). All are great amps and have many fans.

My recently purchased MC250 does not have a power switch. The MC2100 for sale looks the same; no power switch. Why is that, and how do you other owner's deal with this? Would adding a power on/off switch detract much from its originality and value?

Rick

My recently purchased MC250 does not have a power switch. The MC2100 for sale looks the same; no power switch. Why is that, and how do you other owner's deal with this? Would adding a power on/off switch detract much from its originality and value?

Rick

I believe the MC250 and MC2100 were designed to be turned on and off from the preamp (which has a switched outlet) such as the C26 or C28. McIntosh amps are very efficient and could probably be left on indefinitely. Adding a power switch will unfortunately hurt a Macs value. Also consider plugging the amp into a power conditioner which has remote switching, Monster make some power strips that sell for about $150 that will take a 12v trigger. There are also lots of remote switches and power strips available at Target, Wal-Mart, etc., that could provide at least a manual on/off switch.

Once you get it, if you don't like it drop me a PM and I will take it off your hands.

I have a rack full of MC-250's driving my fronts and sides and a MC-2105 driving my rears. I prefer the non big blue meter MC amps in my HT. The lights are too bright and I see blue glow on my screen during blackout.

I've been thinking about replacing the 2105 with a 2100.

JM

For my MC250, I got lucky and scored a free downloadable Owner's manual and Service manual at this site: http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Matrix.htm

However it looks like the 2100 is password protected for some reason. The MC250 is pretty much the same amp (at 50 Watts) so the Owners' manual should be similar; you can download it. Or, do a Google search and keep scrolling the pages; something may turn up.

Here is a service manual that I found for the 2100: http://www.pmillett.com/file_downloads/McIntosh/MC2100.pdf

Of course there are tons of on-line places to buy them at $10 - $20.

Check out this Mac catalog of various components: http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/Downloads/Catalog_038-961.pdf

Rick

Sorry Henri, I mistook you for someone else. Anyways this fella was picking up some Klipschorns from a freight place and when they brought them out someone took a pic of his wife. The expression on her face was priceless. I thought it was you.

• 2 weeks later...