Please give me your opinions on my rear speaker placement options... I'm stumped

superedge88

I have a rather odd situation, My living room is connected to my kitchen, sitting on the couch (main seating area) the kitchen is behind you. So working out a good situation for rear speakers is difficult, and even more difficult is getting speaker wires anywhere near where I would like to put the rear speakers. As you can see in the pictures, a good place to put the right and left rears would be on the top of the cabinets, which I would love to do. Would I be better off doing some sort of wirless rear speaker system? If so, which brand and model? Any ideas are appreciated, I'm a little new to the high end home theater. Thanks guys!

Posted Image

I can't think of any wireless system that would work even remotely good with your Klipsch up front. Also, your surround speakers should be on the side and slightly behind your listening position, not way behind you. Can you put a pair of speakers on stands right next to your couch on the left and right sides of it?

The speakers right next to the couch are a no go, the the right rear would get knocked over because it is a high traffic area. This is a pretty difficult situation to get rears in. I may just have to go without surround sound, kind of a bummer. I am from Minnesota originally, Roseville specifically, where you at in MN wuzzer?

Saint Cloud originally and still here! [:)]

I honestly think you'll be happier without surround speakers considering your limitations of placement. There isn't going to be any wireless speaker system that will be efficient enough to keep up with anything that your Klipsch fronts are playing.

Guest srobak

hey can you pan to the left a tad and take another shot - I have an idea, but I want to make sure. You are going to have to go wired, dude... sorry :(

Guest srobak

Actually, if you don't mind re-painting, someone else on the forum recently installed some flat cable that turned out awesome... I will try to find the thread.

but how would I get the rear left speaker wire to the speaker? The kitchen has hard wood floors, across the ceiling? I don't mean to be difficult, but I just don't know how to get the wire there across a hard wood floor since the kitchen does not share the same wall on the left side.

Looks to me that you could run along the baseboards and along the trim to get there, using flat speaker wire as suggested. Why does the kitchen floor have anything to do with it? You could also run along the baseboard to the corner, then up the corner to the ceiling corner then eventually to the speaker. For an almost completely hidden effect, you can install moldings with a groove cut in the back to accomodate the wire.

• Moderators

Here is a great video tutorial on how you can run the wires through the walls through the attic. Some cool tips on how to do this.

I don't have an attic above my living room, The bedrooms of the house are on the second floor. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Guess that will not work. Looks like you are just going to have to buy a new house then. [:P] Just kiddin. If that is the case, the only way to run wire would be to the right side of the wall (where the lamp is) is to run the flat wire on top of the floor where the opening is and maybe place a rug over it. Might be on the tacky factor but not sure what else you can do since you do not have access in the ceiling. Only other option that I would know to do is as suggested about running along the ceiling corners and placing some crown molding over it.

Superedge88,

Is it possible to go under the window on the one side and over the door way on the opposite side? I forgot who it was but they did just stick the flat wire to the wall and painted right over it. I will try to find a link to the pictures of what he did, it did look good.

James