Finally going to recap my HK 930... - where do I get the caps?

White_Hawk

And I'm going to go ahead and replace all of them (I guess they are old enough)... What I'm wondering is where should I get the caps from (there are a lot of them in there, and I may decide to refresh my 730 as well in which case I'll be getting a ton), and is there a particular brand I should go with? From what I've gathered from older posts, I don't think brands should matter too much, but especially if anyone has experience with this or something similar - advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

I think I remember someone saying mouser or something was a good place to get them, but I'm not sure about that nor brands. I'll try and search through archives and find out. Most of what I've read about caps has been related to crossovers and I don't know if there would be a difference for these HKs.

If I have great success with mine I would probably be willing to do other ones as well, but I'll let myself be the guinea pig =D

Great to hear about the work ahead. Like Dee stated I am looking forward to the efforts and reward that you end up with. Also like Michael I have a 730 and now, new to me, 930 that should be needing this done. If you do purchased in bulk I am willing to purchase some.

James

Partsexpress.com has a good selection of caps, I get all the caps I need for rebuilding old guitar amps from tubesandmore.com but not sure they would have the right values you need, might be worth a look. As far as brands go I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Some people think there is no difference in sound quality between diff. brands, I may be in the minority here but I can hear hear the diff. between caps, however if cost is an issue just go with the house brand at Parts Express. Personally, I would use Solens in the power supply and go with auricaps or the midrange Janzens in the audio circuits. Another option would be the Obligotto caps from diyhifisupply.com, they get great reviews but I haven't tried them.

Use the right cap for the job -- never replace one type with a different type unless you have the qualifications and skillsets required to make those decisions -- especially in amps and preamps where high voltages are employed.

The caps you want to go after are the large power supply electrolytics, which are the ones that will go first and will be responsible for humming and popping issues. These are usual screw types and pretty easy to replace -- not requiring any soldering at all.

Find those cans, and write down the capacitance and voltage values written or stamped into the side of the cans. Get that information and report back.

I don't remember which specific model Dennis was referring to, but this is what he mentioned:

When this amp was new, electrolytic values were -10%, +100%

Just make sure the new ones fit, you may need to go higher in voltage (that's fine) and don't go higher than X2 of the original value in µF.

Unit pops? C405

Gain is low/no bass? C408 (most likely), or C402

Scratchy volume control (on turn-on, OK after a few minutes)? C504 or C712

Hum (one channel)? C6, 7 or C8, 9

Hum (both channels, varies with volume)? C4, 15

Hum (tuner)? C3,4

Best bet?

Like roaches, you got to get 'em all (the smaller caps are about $0.10 each in 25 lot from Mouser).

Given the popularity of this unit, it makes sense to do a group buy and make up a kit of all values required.

Thanks DeanG - the 4 large ones are ELNA brand CE-W 50v 6800uf caps.

I just got a 430 as well, so I'm going to have a party with all 3 of them when I get around to it. I'll probably just do the mains as DeanG suggested on the 930 if that works, and then recap all 3 sometime in the winter when I have time again... we'll see. If I do a huge order of caps I'll ask what everyone wants beforehand and we can see what all needs to be ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

Are those cans screw mount (screw contacts) or snap mount (soldered)? You'll have to look from underneath. You need the diameter of the cans too.

Here is where the cans start in the Mouser catalog: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/635/707.pdf

Like Dennis said, you don't have to match the capacitance value dead on, you can increase that a bit if you have to.