Forte and Center Channel options

hz536n

Hello, I'm new here but by no means new to Klipsch Speakers. I have Forte I speakers running through a 1980 Yamaha A-760 Stereo Amp, usual input is Sony ES CD Player.

Now output includes my home built High End PC as a DVD source in my crowded home office/ theater room. The video is fantastic, but I only have stereo sound.

MY PC has digital audio outputs and I am getting a new Yamaha AV DSP Receiver RX-V620 as the sound system control point and power source.

Soooo now I want to try a center channel that will be comparable to my Forte I speakers. I say "comparable" because it appears from other posts that there is really no current "exact" fit Klipsch Center Channel Speaker for the Forte I.

Please assist with some recommendations. Thanks.

I am certainly not an expert, but I have used the KV2 with KG4's, and they were a very good match. I am currently using the KV2 with my RF 7's, and they are not exactly what I need. The Forte I is a better speaker than the KG4, but with the right amp., you could make due with this fine center.

Moit

quote:

Originally posted by hz536n:

I want to try a center channel that will be comparable to my Forte I speakers. I say "comparable" because it appears from other posts that there is really no current "exact" fit Klipsch Center Channel Speaker for the Forte I.

A used Heresy II is the perfect center for Forte I's if your setup can 'handle' it (space and shielding concerns, that is). All I can say is listen to a C7 with your Forte I's BEFORE buying; I wasn't impressed. On the other hand, if your equipment has tone control over the center channel (parametric equalization is excellent for this) you can make almost any decent center sound acceptable. I have used a KMC (same as the KV2, I think), and it was really a very good little speaker.

This message has been edited by jerohm on 01-27-2002 at 07:44 AM

quote:

(parametric equalization is excellent for this)

parametric equalization??? I think my intergrated amp has this feature. After the kids are in bed, I'll get back into my owner's manual check it out. Would I need a sound meter to get things right?

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Curran:

Would I need a sound meter to get things right?

Maybe, but I play a CD that is mainly acoustic/vocals centered, turning prologic ON. Adjust the center freq/slope/gain from the sweet spot so that when you switch between phantom center mode you hear the least difference - You may need to adjust the center's overall volume also. Now I don't recommend normally listening to a music CD using prologic, but you can get a pretty good setting for movie viewing; much easier than fooling around with the test tone by ear.

hz536n - You might also consider the KV-3. It is a bit beefier than the KV-2. I used one with my KG4s and Forte's before upgrading to Chorus mains/Forte center.

I listened to KV-2 and KV-3 side by side (a used dealer happened to have them both in stock at the same time) and I picked the KV-3.

Just my experience...not wanting to rain on anyone's trade.

Doug

------------------

My System

dougdrake2

I have a pair of Forte's that I use for the mains and am also deciding which center to purchase. The Academy is a bit steep. My receiver has a graphic equalizer for the center speaker. I noted in the message string that the KLF-C7 was possibly a good selection for the center channel. You indicated experience with the Forte - I would appreciate thoughts and anyone else's.

Tnx.

The Heresy II's had the same midrange as the Forte I's, and are a bit smaller so one just might fit Smile.gif

I used to use a KLF-C7 as a center for my Chorus I's and it sounded pretty good. Let's just say the midrange is a bit more aggressive than that of the Chorus I's. With a little work I would have been very happy with it. My Academy is great, and it's an improvement over the KLF-C7 with my speakers, but I don't think I would have paid today's going price for one. I just happened to find a guy who had an Academy and wanted a KLF-C7...my lucky day.

I have not heard the KV series centers, so I'm no help there, but I have heard good things around here about the KV4 .

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

This message has been edited by speedbump on 01-29-2002 at 11:03 PM

Hz536n,welcome to the wonderful board of Klipsch! In today's 5.1 (and above) world, the best center for a Forte I is a Fore I... and your new Yamaha will prove it to you! Pick up a pair and you have the perfect rear effects speaker for 6.1. When upwards of 75% of movie sound is poured through the center speaker, it doesn't make sense to get skimpy where robust is most needed!

If you have a fantastic picture, three like speakers (LMain, CMain, RMain) and a great sub are the primary ingredients to fantastic sound. Rear effects and surrounds are less important but also benefit from matching the mains. Does that new Yamaha have front effects channels, if so, you will find that mounting some smaller, less expensive, Klipsch speakers 6' high in the front corners will make your room "feel" a whole lot bigger.

Enjoy the upgrade path... but watch your step and lead with your ears! cwm15.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, SB-2 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls & SVS 16-46

Klipsched Class "A" Motor Home: Still in testing phase...

This message has been edited by HornEd on 01-30-2002 at 07:33 AM

Thanks again group. However I should point out that my home office/ home theater room is quite small and crowded as well.

There is just no way any of the larger speakers will be able to be shoehorned in here. (There is also a Mesa/Boogie guitar amp and several guitars in here in addition to, two PCs and printers, scanners, desks, file cabinets, etc.

It's the best I can manage until the boys finish college.

Now then, if I get the KV3 (no word yet), What "smaller" Klipsch speakers would you recommend for rear channels with my Forte 1 speakers as mains?

Things come together and things come apart.

I got the KV3 Center, it's pristine. Had a parting of the ways with the local Yamaha audio dealer, not much patience with BS so the RX-V620 deal is out... instead I confirmed an order today for a Yamaha RX-V1200, should be in next week.

Sonically, I believe that in my environment the KV3 is very accurate as a match to my Forte mains. I ran it as a test left channel "B" speaker with the Fortes on "A". Truly looking forward to full on trial as an active center through the Yamaha.

Still looking for space friendly Klipsch rears for my setup. Bid and lost out on a pair of KG 2.5 today.