PS3 question

dkp

My PS3 is not recognizing any disks that are inserted into the machine. It does not appear to matter if said disk is a game, standard dvd or bd. I have gone through the entire menu and am unsure how to proceed before contacting Sony. Any thoughts?

I performed a system update but that was of no help.

I got a demo 80g unit back in April and it worked for a couple of days and did the same thing. When I got sony on the phone I explained that I had done an update to try and solve the problem as well. They asked a couple of questions about what I had tried and gave me a return authorization. They sent a box and I sent it back and they sent me a new one in 2 days. No problems since.

I bought the new 80 gig too... Wooo Hoooo

Make sure you update threough a computer connection the latest drivers. Even mine new needed a update..

Everything, just looks awesome and sounds awesome now!

PS2 and PS3 ganmes, everything works!

See my first post. I tried that to no avail. I'm going to call Sony today to see what they have to say.

I agree with you, Roger, it is a fantastic system!

Update: I contacted Sony who has authorized a service repair and have shipped me a box to send the unit back to them in. Prior to authorization they wanted me to verify that 1, the system had been updated and 2, that I had performed the, "restore system defaults." I had and since neither worked they authorized the return.

Thanks again.

You will be back in business shortly.

I have another PS3 question. I am considering some receivers that do not have HDMI connections. Has anyone compared the component out (using an adapter cable) and the optical audio? How does look and sound compared to HDMI?

I got one too over the weekend to replace a dead DVD player.

Started out with supplied AV cable, L/R into stereo and video to TV, came up 480. Pic was nice ... and working.

Dug around and found HDMI cable and resolution improved to 1080p, stunning comes to mind.

Hooked ethernet cable from PS3 to wireless router and it recognized it instantly. Cool.

Still using audio L/R out poked into a VCR input for sound. I don't have nuff digital inputs and only run stereo anyway.

Box came with Metal Gear 4. I croak a lot. Wireless controller is nice compared to older xBox.

All in all it was easy setup.

The game is not easy, but I don't game much anyway.

Think I'll buy the remote for DVD control. The PS3 internal fan is loud for music.

I have another PS3 question. I am considering some receivers that do not have HDMI connections. Has anyone compared the component out (using an adapter cable) and the optical audio? How does look and sound compared to HDMI?

I would think seriously about getting a receiver with HDMI connections that support the audio stream. You will not be able to take advantage of the new high-res audio formats without one (e.g. DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD), and I have only heard terrific things about their sound quality. Your receiver does not need to have those codecs in it - the PS3 can only pass those signals as multi-channel PCM, which I think most any receiver with HDMI audio can accept. (The PS3 decodes the DTS-HD and TrueHD for you, and then just passes the audio stream as a digital output, but only over HDMI.)

I would just go with a HDMI cable from the PS3 to your tv and then run the optical to what ever A/V receiver you get.

If you can afford a new A/V receiver that has the new audio formats then just use the HDMI cable to the receiver to the tv.

The reason I choose the PS3 over the blu ray player was the media center function of it.

However, I noticed that the quality of the sounds saved as MP3 on the hard drive of the console was much less then the original CD, almost like something is missing.

Anyone else noticed it too? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

The reason I choose the PS3 over the blu ray player was the media center function of it.

However, I noticed that the quality of the sounds saved as MP3 on the hard drive of the console was much less then the original CD, almost like something is missing.

Have you checked out your audio settings in the "settings" menu? There are tons of options in there, perhaps you've got something set up at a lower resolution and can change it.

Have you checked out your audio settings in the "settings" menu?  There are tons of options in there, perhaps you've got something set up at a lower resolution and can change it.

I tried all of them, there is still a noticeable difference.

can you change the media player?  What sounds are you saving?  Music, TV, concerts?

I don't have a PS3 but I am thinking about one.  My best friend has one that I am going to see Friday so that may help me make up my mind.

Apple tv + blu ray player + a game console will run over $ 1000 for the bundle.

The 80 GB PS3 cost $499 and it also allows you to surf the net. From a money standing point the PS3 is a no brainer.

I have only loaded music CD's so far but I'm planing on exporting pictures, movies, media.

If by media player you mean I tunes or Microsoft media player, I do not know if it can be done but if it did I would love to be able to use I tune's interface.

...I have another PS3 question. I am considering some receivers that do not have HDMI connections. Has anyone compared the component out (using an adapter cable) and the optical audio? How does look and sound compared to HDMI?

I’ve had mine since April and couldn’t be happier.

Also have an older receiver so I have HDMI going to the TV and Optical to the receiver. One thing you should keep in mind is the PS3 can not output optical and HDMI audio simultaneously so you have to make a choice. Obviously, I chose optical. BluRay, Standard DVD, and PS3 games sound fantastic. Can’t wait to upgrade the receiver and here HD audio to go along with the HD video!