Mr. Jimmy Page

colterphoto1

It you could tune out the uber-arena-delay, it was a pretty cool performance. I couldn't get enough volume though, something in their mix and signal, disappointing.

I thought Jimmy looked good. Nice to see old #2 up there on him again. It looked live, I hope it truly was. Fun remake of WLL, the strings and drum parts were cool, the vocalist was smoking both vocally and visually. Nice send off of the Olympics.

Hope everyone got to see this. Back to your regularly scheduled network tripe.

It was good to see Jimmy Page shredding again and it appeared as though he's still using that same, trusty, faithful sunburst Les Paul with the mixed pickups that he'd used back in the band's pre-heyday years. Of course, there's no way to tell if that was THE guitar but so what? His alliance with Gibson has been a life-long devotion in addition to sometimes playing other brands of just about every description. I was really put off by the sound of the entire closing ceremonies as was my wife. The commentators were difficult to hear and I really could not tell whether or not Page was really playing or if his "bus-mate", Leona Lewis was really singing. It looked as if they were simply "play-acting", but as Colter mentioned (and I agree) the "arena-esque" acoustics always seems to leave a lot to be desired. There's no doubt in my mine that Jimmy's still got what it takes. I'd simply like to hear it clearly. But, don't allow my ramblings to spoil the fun; it was a beautiful and spectacular closure of two weeks of very enjoyable television. I am left feeling extremely empty knowing that all I will now be able to watch is either a political convention (why on all 3 networks??) or the Detroit Tigers lose for the next 5 nights. My bet’s on the Tigers. LOL Time to break out the vinyl me thinks, or polish the car, or both! -Glenn

post-10177-1381940032705_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819410475712_thumb.jpg

It's interesting. Over on the BBC website they have a thread dedicated to the Page episode and comments there are 98% aghast at the whole British presentation. It was in stark contrast to the Chinese conscript massive Olympic art-a-thon. But most Brits are simply embarrassed by the choice of entertainers. I would hate to be London having to follow the blank-check Chinese Olympic presentations. Will they have all the ancient rockers there? By then it could be a wheelchair festival. As well as Page performed I always find old rockers replaying yesteryears hits stale and somewhat pitiful, like they're stuck on "replay" unable to evolve. Remember Prince at the Superbowl, OMG what a joke?

It's interesting. Over on the BBC website they have a thread dedicated to the Page episode and comments there are 98% aghast at the whole British presentation. It was in stark contrast to the Chinese conscript massive Olympic art-a-thon. But most Brits are simply embarrassed by the choice of entertainers. I would hate to be London having to follow the blank-check Chinese Olympic presentations. Will they have all the ancient rockers there? By then it could be a wheelchair festival. As well as Page performed I always find old rockers replaying yesteryears hits stale and somewhat pitiful, like they're stuck on "replay" unable to evolve. Remember Prince at the Superbowl, OMG what a joke?

My first thought after seeing the opening ceremonies was: "This is going to be near-impossible for anyone to top!"

In the closing, I did find the whole scene, with the "London Bus" and the bus stop people waiting to board, way too cheesy. The “people-trying-to-board-in-slow-mo” sequence and the little girl walking on their backs was just dumb. I think it might have been a little more fun to see them use one of those authentic old AEC RouteMaster London double-decker buses instead of an ultra-modern Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 coach. They probably used the 'Dennis' coach because they already utilize them in China and may have simply painted one to "look British" thereby saving the money to import an old one from London. Those old buses are a lot shorter too and probably would not have provided them with the required room for the gag, but I digress.

Seeing or hearing old rockers playing yesteryear's hits used to be considered "oldies-but-goodies". Perhaps, the mystique we used to experience surrounding our favorite rock stars, when we were young, fades as we all age ourselves (a lot like the mystique of Christmas to a child)? I think we are finally able to see through all of the smoke and colored lights and recognize these folks to be what they really are: “Just extremely-talented, real people” who now have become wrinkled and aged and their hair has grown gray or fallen-out just as many of us see ourselves. At age 50, it’s a bit difficult to imagine Prince exuding the same level of sexual-persona in his performance that he once did back in his heyday, regardless of how good of shape he is in. I think oscarsear is right; it did all come across as pretty corny at the Superbowl. But Prince can still play and still sing well, minus the theatrics. At 58, Peter Frampton is one of those older stars who still puts out a wealth of really great new music (in my opinion). Here, I'm speaking of his album released back in September of 2006 entitled 'Fingerprints', which, if you haven't heard it, is awesome! It's about an 85% departure from any of his older work. Yet when he tries to play “a few of the new ones” for the crowd at his concerts, the crowd always demands to hear the old tunes such as "Do you feel like we do" for the one-millionth time. I think the veteran stars are just trying to give the majority of the audience what they are asking for, and in many cases, they still can! That would explain why there are now so many veteran revival groups out on the concert circuit who are literally packing arenas and smaller venues playing their hits of yesteryear. Seeing Jimmy Page is still way better than seeing old Elvis in spandex! Eesch! [:S] -Glenn

post-10177-1381940033042_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819410479142_thumb.jpg

What else struck me as odd was the song choice. "A Whole Lotta Love" is about ones carnal intention of delivering "every inch" of ones "love" which is no small innuendo. Surely some other song in the Zepplin bag would have sufficed better. Any ideas?

I'm not sure they wrote any songs that weren't full of sexual inuendos. There's always juice running down somebody's leg.

What else struck me as odd was the song choice. "A Whole Lotta Love" is about ones carnal intention of delivering "every inch" of ones "love" which is no small innuendo. Surely some other song in the Zepplin bag would have sufficed better. Any ideas?

I'm not sure they wrote any songs that weren't full of sexual inuendos.  There's always juice running down somebody's leg.

LOL Thank you!!!! Now how do I get the juice that just came out my nose off my monitor!!!

Well at least JP's in better physical condition and wasn't doing his puffer-fish impersonation. That would have really outraged the IOC!

I think we're all gonna end up looking like Mickey Dolenz, better than old leather-face Keith (I got dangly pirate stuff in my hair) Richards.

Robert Plant's face looks like an old hound dog. Ah, the golden years..... I can hardly wait.