I Onkyo. Do You?

jdm56

Coming in: Onkyo A-9555 int. amp. (85Wx2) and T-4555 tuner (AM/FM/HD-radio/XM/Sirius)

Going out: Adcom GTP-602 tuner/preamp and GFA-5500 200W/channel amp

Losing: Approximately 4dB of output, remote tone controls, proven outstanding performance, separates flexibility and a measure of build quality.

Gaining: System remote, headphone output, "greener" operation, HD-radio, XM or Sirius, horn-friendly performance (According to S'phile), and simpler operation. Plus, they'll look sweet with my Onkyo DX-7555 CD player. (yes, I am a shallow and superficial audiophool) Money-wise, it should be a more or less sideways move. Well, that's what's new with me. [:|]

Carry on. I gotta go fix the water heater.

Taking a step down .................... EH ???? Enjoy your new gear ................

Well...we'll see. On paper, I suppose so, but as we all know, measurements don't matter, right?[;)] Just call me a sucker for a pretty, brushed aluminum fascia. I do hate to sell the big, honkin' 5500. It's a solid piece of gear, for sure. But, the plan is to move back into some higher sensitivity speakers (I hear Klipsch makes a few of those[:)]) So, I shouldn't miss the horsepower, anyway. ...and thanks!

Nah, I don't need no stinkin' tubes! I'm more of a plug'n'play kind of guy.[:D] Besides, s.s. is all I've ever had. Tubes probably wouldn't sound right to my callused ears.

Regarding headroom, I agree. Definitely better to have more than you need than not enough. But WF-35's are rated 97 dB sensitivity and LS II's are 105, so I don't think I'll be lacking in that dept. as long as I stay in the mid 90's or higher.

Of course, the only way I'm gonna end up with La Scala II's is if I can catch a pair of the non-grain-matched singles on-line. And I'm not sure I can bring myself to shell out what they cost, either. The WF-35's look awfully good for the money, but I have yet to hear them.

Anyway, In either case I think the Onkyo will be more than up to the task. At least, according to the good folks at STEREOPHILE.

Nah, I don't need no stinkin' tubes! I'm more of a plug'n'play kind of guy.Big Smile Besides, s.s. is all I've ever had. Tubes probably wouldn't sound right to my callused ears

Spoke those words myself ................ then came a Scott 299-D ..... If you heard a Scott you wouldn't buy the Onkyo, but I can't argue with STEREOPHILE, (snicker, snicker) ............ Your money, your stereo, ................... Enjoy !!!!!

Hope you like it, but what's this " greener operation " thing you are talking about ?

The Onkyo A-9555 is a class D amp. That's all. No composting, no horse-drawn power supply.[:)]

From the horses' mouth (the Onkyo website):

Digital amplification enables significant power efficiency savings and supports smaller, more compact designs—obvious benefits for today’s home lifestyles. However, at Onkyo, we believe that these benefits should not come at the expense of the most important consideration: sound quality. With the A-9555 integrated digital amplifier, sound quality takes precedence over all else. By using Onkyo’s exclusive Vector Linear (VL) Digital technology to remove any spike noise before it introduces errors into the inversion timing, it is possible to get a highly accurate analog-to-digital conversion. Also, at the heart of the A-9555 is a Pure Stream Power Supply—essentially a large power transformer—that ensures that you always have the on-demand power for the clarity and detail of a range of musical genres. By integrating the fundamentals of audio amplification with the potential of digital amplification, the A-9555 is a revelation in superior audio reproduction.

"Onkyo" as a verb? Interesting.

I suppose you could say I "Onkyo" in my living room: Beneath our 50" Panasonic plasma, we have an Onkyo Integra A-SV810 Pro, A/V Surround, integrated amp that provides Dolby Pro-Logic audio feeds to our every-day TV setup, which consists of a Sony Blu-Ray player, 2 B&W LM-1 Leisure Monitor speakers for the front L & R, a B&W VM-1 Leisure Monitor for the center channel, 2 small Radio Shack (yes, I said Rat Shack!) Optimus speakers for the rears and a Polk PSW-202, 10" powered sub. We also have a Motorola HD / DVR cable box providing our Hi-Def feeds from the outside world.

Most of the time we simply use the "weak-kneed" speakers that are on-board the plasma screen. It’s just network TV most of the time so who cares? But when we watch anything music-centric, or a movie on cable or the Blu-Ray, the Onkyo is lit up and provides us with more than sufficient power for the little B&Ws. We bought the unit off-the-shelf as a demo from Circuit City about 10 years ago just prior to their switch-over to discrete 5.1 surround. We figured it was just for our living room so we aren’t that worried about having the latest in there so we saved at least $500 on the thing and it’s been up to the task ever since. Last spring I considered an upgrade to a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH that I would have been able to get at cost. Given the current market and employment situations facing most of us, added to the fact that we had no issues with the Onkyo, I simply could not justify the expenditure. So, I nixed the idea and I’m still completely satisfied with what we’ve got in that room. If I want something better; the Klipsch-Loaded, “Big Boy Theater” awaits us downstairs! -Glenn

Hope you like it, but what's this " greener operation " thing you are talking about ?

The Onkyo A-9555 is a class D amp. That's all. No composting, no horse-drawn power supply.Smile

From the horses' mouth (the Onkyo website):

Digital amplification enables significant power efficiency savings and supports smaller, more compact designs—obvious benefits for today’s home lifestyles. However, at Onkyo, we believe that these benefits should not come at the expense of the most important consideration: sound quality. With the A-9555 integrated digital amplifier, sound quality takes precedence over all else. By using Onkyo’s exclusive Vector Linear (VL) Digital technology to remove any spike noise before it introduces errors into the inversion timing, it is possible to get a highly accurate analog-to-digital conversion. Also, at the heart of the A-9555 is a Pure Stream Power Supply—essentially a large power transformer—that ensures that you always have the on-demand power for the clarity and detail of a range of musical genres. By integrating the fundamentals of audio amplification with the potential of digital amplification, the A-9555 is a revelation in superior audio reproduction.

I am sure mdeenen would be very interested to hear that one.

"Onkyo" as a verb? Interesting.

I suppose you could say I "Onkyo" in my living room: Beneath our 50" Panasonic plasma, we have an Onkyo Integra A-SV810 Pro, A/V Surround, integrated amp that provides Dolby Pro-Logic audio feeds to our every-day TV setup, which consists of a Sony Blu-Ray player, 2 B&W LM-1 Leisure Monitor speakers for the front L & R, a B&W VM-1 Leisure Monitor for the center channel, 2 small Radio Shack (yes, I said Rat Shack!) Optimus speakers for the rears and a Polk PSW-202, 10" powered sub. We also have a Motorola HD / DVR cable box providing our Hi-Def feeds from the outside world.

Most of the time we simply use the "weak-kneed" speakers that are on-board the plasma screen. It’s just network TV most of the time so who cares? But when we watch anything music-centric, or a movie on cable or the Blu-Ray, the Onkyo is lit up and provides us with more than sufficient power for the little B&Ws. We bought the unit off-the-shelf as a demo from Circuit City about 10 years ago just prior to their switch-over to discrete 5.1 surround. We figured it was just for our living room so we aren’t that worried about having the latest in there so we saved at least $500 on the thing and it’s been up to the task ever since. Last spring I considered an upgrade to a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH that I would have been able to get at cost. Given the current market and employment situations facing most of us, added to the fact that we had no issues with the Onkyo, I simply could not justify the expenditure. So, I nixed the idea and I’m still completely satisfied with what we’ve got in that room. If I want something better; the Klipsch-Loaded, “Big Boy Theater” awaits us downstairs! -Glenn

Glad to hear you're onkyoing! Everyone should onkyo now and then! What got me started onkyoing was a little bedroom CD/Receiver/speaker system that I was very impressed with, as far as bang for the buck. I think it is called the CS-315, or something like that. I use it with the little speakers that came with it, but added an Onkyo 10" sub for a little over a hundred bucks. I know, I know....cheapcheapcheap, BUT...for the money, and considering it's just a bedroom system to go to sleep and wake up to, it's really great!

I have a Onkyo 674 that will be going to a friend. Looking at the new 606 and the pioneer elite 01. Wanted nad but they do not pick up the hd sound from the hdmi connection from my ps3. I have 2 other cheaper onkyos in the house and 2 others at school with kids. No problems with any of them and I think the kids really abuse theirs.

Now Pioneer Elite, that's a brand I have had trouble with! Both my A/V receiver (VSX-55TXi) and my DVD player (DV-47Ai) had to go in under warranty the first year or two I had them. But they've both been fine since then. And Pioneer did stand behind them. It's just a major inconvenience, really.

We're very heavily-loaded in the Pioneer Elite department in our HT: VSX-49TXi Flagship receiver, DV-47Ai DVD player (the same as yours jdm56) and 2, PD-F27 300-CD changers; all with zero problems in their 4 years of operation. We have no desire to replace them currently: They're great! -Glenn