Quiet cooling fan

Audio Flynn

Flynn, I'm in Southfield- maybe sometime we could compare systems?

Are you trying to locate a fan or part with a fan? I have a 120v fan that is really quiet and is not plugged in to the same circuit as the rest of my components so there's no problem with noise. http://www.buyextras.com/avcoco.html?gclid=CKbqtY-orJUCFRKIxwodUDzRag This place has good prices and quite a few fans to pick from.

A great way to make a fan quiet is to buy a 24v DC fan and run it at 12v DC or so (or a 12v fan @ 8v, you get the idea). Yes, it does slow the fan some but you don't really need to move much air to improve convection cooling. Get a DC "wall wart" power supply from Radio Shack (or a spare you have laying around) to power the fan. Easy to do and super quiet. Way quieter than any 120v fan I've ever heard. I cooled a Stereo 70 and 2 Dyna Mk. 3's this way.

I went to a local electronics surplus shop and bought a 240 volt muffin fan for $5. I wired it up and plugged it into the "switched" 120 volt outlet on the amp so it only comes on when the amp is on. Temps on my amp dropped from 125 degrees F down to about 95 degrees F. It's not "fancily" routed to redirect air thru some special tunnel. It sits slightly above the amp (in the back out of sight) and simply blows a light breeze over the top to remove the rising heat. Can't hear a thing and I feel like I've added life to my amp!

I use two 12VDC fans wired in series, so each runs at ~6VDC. They are powered by a wall wart supply that is plugged into the ac outlet on the back of my receiver. They turn on when I power up the receiver. The fan assembly simply sit on top of my receiver in the cabinet. Very quiet............

The picture is SUPPOSED to show the two fans assembled together. I don't know why it doesn't. If you save the picture, then look at it, you can see the whole assembly.

P8140885.JPGP8140884.JPG