Rosewood Decorator Cornwall project

rcarlton

Started the groundwork on my Rosewood Decorator Cornwall project. Here is a before picture.

Before

Some may remember the Bubinga Heresy project. I will be using a couple of veneering techniques I haven't used before. One is book matching. So I went to work on my MAC1700 cabinet.

Walnut Burl...3 coats of Tung oil, 4 coats of rub on clear polyurethane.

post-18740-13819400423704_thumb.jpg

post-18740-13819410571602_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's cool. Love that grain.

A little trick to bookmatching. If you hold a mirror up to the flitch of veneer, you can move the mirror in and out to see what the bookmatch will look like. I bought a $5 mirror at Home depot that was 4' long 1' wide and it works great.

I've used a lot of wipe-on polyurethane over the years and I've had real good luck with it. On the last project I tried Minwax satin lacquer in a spray can and I lowe it. I got a much better finish with it and I believe it will be more durable. It only takes two coats, with a light sanding between coats. I am very impressed with it and will be using it from now on.

Looking forward to seeing your project.

Greg

I did the same thing when I first started doing veneer, a few McIntosh cabinets. Not as nice as yours though.

post-11090-13819400426544_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819410574452_thumb.jpg

Greg,

Thanks for the kind comments.

Next step....I have been using contact cement and wanted to try a different method. I didn't want to go through the expense of making a vacuum bag for Cornwalls. Not sure what type of pump or how big of an air compressor I would need to modify to make that technique work. That left heat bonding with an iron. So I needed another project to work on...which led to a CD case. Simple design ...3 shelves, variable heights, large base, butt joints.

Tried Tite Bond from Home Depot, thinned to thick cream consistency...works, but seemed a little finicky...really had to make sure edges and corners were sealed tight. Even had a small bubble. Moved onto some glue from Joe Woodworker I really liked. Better bond heat lock glue. Used a roller to apply the glue.

post-18740-13819400441212_thumb.jpg

post-18740-13819410589264_thumb.jpg

No updates. Want to practice bookmatching some more. Also looking at brush on lacquer as a finish. We have 3 samples that it looks fantastic on. Tung oil has proven to be a little difficult to use on the Rosewood. Doesn't soak in evenly. Still looks great.