Rosewood Decorator Cornwall project

rcarlton

On the home stretch. Speakers have been sanded with 220 sandpaper, imperfections are all filled, and in some cases painted. Waiting on paint to dry, light 320 sanding by hand and sanding sealer next.

Bases are lacquered, sanded with 320, 400, 600, 2000 self lubricating paper (used soapy water), rubbed with pumice (FF) and paraffin oil using a cork sanding block and cotton cloth, and finally rubbed with paraffin oil and Rotten stone using a felt sanding block. [O][&]

post-18740-13819426066114_thumb.jpg

View from above. I'm leaning toward the pie slice logo. Naturally that is a logo I don't have...have the brass retangular plate.[:(]

You might notice the tops look a little different than in the earlier picture. One top and side had too many checks in the veneer...it wasn't acceptable so I simply sanded it down and started over. No big deal. [:@]

post-18740-13819426067514_thumb.jpg

View from above. I'm leaning toward the pie slice logo. Naturally that is a logo I don't have...have the brass retangular plate.Sad

You might notice the tops look a little different than in the earlier picture. One top and side had too many checks in the veneer...it wasn't acceptable so I simply sanded it down and started over. No big deal. Angry

Beautiful work Ron.

I vote for Pie Slice. Logo that is! : )

So does that mean that you sanded the new top veneer completely off and put new veneer on? Or just sanded down the new veneer and veneered over it?

Greg

Greg,

I sanded completely through the old veneer to the glue line. I did this because sanding the old veneer with 80 grit paper and putting glue on it caused the old veneer to form lots of bubbles. Probably thinned the veneer enough for the glue to soak through. Needed a solid substrate, which left me no choice, but to sand through to the glue line.

All sanded with 320 paper, waiting on daylight to put sanding sealer on. My garage at night with a light bulb on tends to draw insects. Not good for finish work.

I agree...pie slice logo looks to be the way to go.

The speakers are all lacquered. Waiting a month before I rub them out and have them complete. They are safely locked in a spare bedroom.

• 1 month later...

Sanded the speakers with 320 wet dry paper and soapy water last week. Wasn't happy with the way the lacquer filled in some spots, so I added another coat of lacquer. It wasn't bad, just not perfect. They now have sanding sealer and 4-coats of brush on lacquer.

The veneer was not as smooth as I would have liked. There were some highly figured areas in which it would be impossible to sand perfectly smooth (remember, I completely sanded the veneer off of one speaker on purpose and could not get it smooth without seeing the glue line). Looks as if the lacquer has filled these areas in perfectly now. Three more weeks of waiting for the lacquer to cure.

I have the pie slice logo's all ready to go.

Left to complete:

320 wet/dry

400 wet/dry

600 wet/dry

Pumice stone FF (cork sanding block)

Rotten stone (felt sanding block)

Wax

Ron, in your experience what would be the best kind or type of veneer to use for the person who has never veneered a surface. I am in the process of building a pair of Cornscalas, not ready just yet soon. Just trying to gather as much information as possibe to made my quest easy.

Thanks

I think the paperbacked would be easiest to use for a beginner (even for someone with experience). The raw wood can be fussy...checking has been the number one problem I have dealt with.

With the raw Rosewood veneers,having used; Bubinga and Santos, consider not using the iron on method but rather contact cement. The moisture in the glue contributes to checking. Next time I will experiment with hide glue. Walnut burl using the iron on method has worked well. Seems to be veneer dependent. With something like the Cornscalas experimenting may cause too much frustration. Try the paperback. More expensive, but less headaches.

• 1 month later...

Waited a couple of months for the lacquer to cure. Finished one speaker, sanded with 320, 400, 600, 800, 2000 and rotten stone with paraffin oil. I used mineral spirits for the other grits of wet/dry paper. Finished off with paste furniture wax. The second speaker is waiting on the tops lacquer to cure enough to finish it, about another week to go.

post-18740-13819437956736_thumb.jpg

fini,

I used raw veneer. No paperbacking. Rosewood is such an oily wood I recommend paperbacked veneer. The raw veneer was not the smoothest veneer to work with. Had to use enough brush on lacquer to smooth out the irregularities. Worked, in most cases requiring 5-6 coats of lacquer.