Rosewood Decorator Cornwall project

rcarlton

Fimished the second long side. Testing the layout for the top veneer.

The mess of veneer tape is to reduce the amount of checking I get with the Rosewood. The tape is located along areas that have checked on other pieces, pre-existing cracks, and across the grain. Looks awful and can be a bit of a pain to remove, but I hope it saves me some work. After I put down the veneer, I went over it again with the iron to make it a relatively uniform temperature, so that it would cool evenly (or so I hope). That might reduce checking.

post-18740-13819418642328_thumb.jpg

It isn't just the rosewood, it's any raw wood veneer. I'm talking about the checking problems you've been experiencing.

I just built a cabinet for an old tube amp and used some left over raw wood veneer I had in my shop, and yup, checking and bubbling, the same problems I've had on every project where I've used raw wood veneer.

I need to get rid of all the raw wood veneer I've got at my shop so I won't be tempted to use it again.

Greg

Finished the sides and tops. Looks as if the veneer softener worked. Checks are under control, center joint looks to be tight. Sure looks messy with all the tape. That's the poor man's version of paper backed veneer. I had to peal back some tape to line up my joints.

The technique I used is called quad matching. Did something very similar on the other edge.

BTW the checks and less than perfect center joints are all on the bottom of the speakers.

post-18740-1381941883574_thumb.jpg

Time to turn my attention to the front of the speakers. Need four sheets of veneer. Take the two center pieces and cut them in two length wise, book match them, and have the two edges of the outside pieces book match the outside edges of the two center pieces. Now I have 3 joints to work with.

post-18740-1381941883768_thumb.jpg

Time to turn my attention to the front of the speakers. Need four sheets of veneer. Take the two center pieces and cut them in two length wise, book match them, and have the two edges of the outside pieces book match the outside edges of the two center pieces. Now I have 3 joints to work with.

Just beautiful.

Greg

No sooner than I wrote that checking was under control...it's back...with a vengeance. I should be able to fix most of the problems with wood filler and pigment shellac and a pointed touchup brush. Some might be fixed with thin glue and sawdust. It will add a couple of hours to the prep time.

When making a joint with two pieces of veneer coming together I 'shoot' the deges. I use 80 grit sandpaper and two flat pieces of steel held down with clamps. The ends can be tricky with the clamps in the way.

post-18740-13819418954904_thumb.jpg

Here is the first speaker with new skin.

I'm beginning to wonder if the glue is the problem. Last year I had a problem with a water based contact cement and Bubinga. It was an oily wood and checked like crazy. Went with the flammable contact cement and no checking.

Here is a glue that might work. $102 a quart.

glue

post-18740-13819418956624_thumb.jpg