Which Klipsch speaker (new of used) is best for playing classic rock??

Tom80112

Hello,

I am looking to buy a set of new or used Klipsch for playing classic
rock. Which Klipsch model will work best for my room size?

I will be using these for:
2-channel listening of classic rock (Think RollingStones/Eagles music)
2-channel home theater

My room is 12 wide exactly by about 22 deep with 11 foot ceilings.
The speakers will be 6-7 feet apart with a 36" TV in between them.
my ears will be 9 feet from the front of the speakers. This is all
based on how my current tower speakers are set up. I have all hardwood
floors.

I listen at moderate levels; not too loud but loud enough to fill the
room with decent dynamics.

Based on all this, are the RF-7's too big a speaker for my room size?
Everything I have read tells me that the RF7 is a huge step up in sound
from the RF5s. (I don't like the new RF82s because they are vinyl wrapped
only with no wood veneer option) I'm also open to other models except

the heritage series. They are too monsterous in size and the Heresy's sit

too low to the floor.

Please advise me on which speaker will work best for classic rock and my room size.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum!!

The "best for playing classic rock" may have been eliminated by your exclusion of the Heritage series as being too huge. So, a couple of other parameters will be helpful in order to make some recommendations:

What is the size limit?

What is your budget?

Where are you located? (There may be used speakers close to you that may work)

You may be limiting your selection (and perhaps the best speaker) by your sized limitation. Two of the best speakers for classic rock are the LaScala's (new or used) and the Cornwall (new or used). They will provide the dynamic "punch" and projection for rock that may be limited by smaller cabinets.

I think I've read that the KLF models are great rock speakers. If the Cornwalls and LaScalas are too big you might consider Fortes or Chorus. The Forte I think is pretty much the same as the Heresy except taller and with much improved bass. Though the best may just be the ones the size of small refirgerators.

Well sometimes a speaker can be too big for the room such that it over-powers the

room when you play it at the level needed to "open up" and breath. La Scallas may sound

nice in a 20x30 room but would be over-powering in a 10x10 room.. This is what I am

getting at when I ask if the RF-7s are too big for my room...

* I hate subs. I like tight bass and subs always sound loose and rumbly to me...

* I'm wanting to have the horn(s) situated high up like with the RF5 or RF7 because I

like it gives you the effect of a larger sound stage.. I don't want to do heresy's on stands..

What an Eyesore that would be..

The Forte or Chorous might work for me if they do sound better than the RF5 or RF7.

• Moderators

Well sometimes a speaker can be too big for the room such that it over-powers the

room when you play it at the level needed to "open up" and breath. La Scallas may sound

nice in a 20x30 room but would be over-powering in a 10x10 room.. This is what I am

getting at when I ask if the RF-7s are too big for my room...

Myself I don't agree with the "too big" for the room idea, I tried some huge speakers "trust me huge" in my room and never had a problem with them breathing or opening up, they actually filled the room better at moderate volume than a smaller speaker in the same room. Even at just above a whisper they sounded better than the smaller speaker, I think the smaller the speaker the more you need to crank it up to make them open up.

Of course this is just another opinion ! [*-)]

Bill:

What is the size limit?

I think the RF7 would be the biggest I would like.. The Forte and Chorus look about the same size

What is your budget?

Up to $1500 but always looking for my best deal..

Where are you located? (There may be used speakers close to you that may work)

Denver

You
may be limiting your selection (and perhaps the best speaker) by your
sized limitation. Two of the best speakers for classic rock are the
LaScala's (new or used) and the Cornwall (new or used). They will
provide the dynamic "punch" and projection for rock that may be limited
by smaller cabinets.

My room is only 12 feet wide. LaScala and Cornwall are just too big physically.

And like I said I'd like to have the tweeter horn about 42" from the floor because it gives you a bigger sound. Especially when watching a DVD.

• Moderators

When I said in the earlier post about Cornwall's being to wide for your room, I was thinking the cabinets were wide for a 12' wide room, not the sound. I stick with my first pick Forte ll, although I am partial to them because we use 6 for HT and they are a great overall sounding speaker.

• Moderators

I like tight bass

Well the Forte II or Chorus II will fit the bill.

That's also true Chorus ll, I didn't mention them because I have not heard them myself but people who have compared them to the Forte ll.

So you are thining that a pair of Forte II sound better than either the RF5 or RF7?

If so than that is a real bargain since used Fortes can be had for $450-$500 on Audiogon.

How do the Forte sound different from the RF5 or RF7?

And how do the Forte sound different from the Chorus??

(They look similar except one has a 12" and the other has a 15")

Thanks....

Tom

• Moderators

I don't know if the RF7 sounds better than the forte ll, I have not had a chance to compare the two together, but they do sound different for sure. Both sound very good but a different sound, maby someone who has or heard both together can comment. To me the Forte ll or Chorus ll sound more like the Heritage line and the Rf is, well reference, which is a different sound to me, not bad just different.

• Moderators

The Forte or Chorous might work for me if they do sound better than the RF5 or RF7.

Well that is pretty subjective. That is all in the ears of the beholder.

Exactly, two different sounds with each having their fans, if possible try to get a listen and see where you fall ?

I will probably just buy a used pair of Forte 1s. I read on audioasylum that the forte series1

was the best sounding of the 4 choices: Forte 1, Forte 2, Chorus 1, Chorus 2. I see forte 1s

forsale all the time for about $500 a pair..

In general, how do the reference series sound different from the Forte 1s?

Thanks...

I will probably just buy a used pair of Forte 1s. I read on audioasylum that the forte series1

was the best sounding of the 4 choices: Forte 1, Forte 2, Chorus 1, Chorus 2.

Appears you came here already decided. Be it for me to disagree with "audioasylum". I'll take tractrix myself! IMHO as a long standing Klipsch forum member it isn't even close.