RB-81s and RF-83s

Vonbek777

I posted somtime ago regarding my ongoing upgrade project. I am going from a 5.1 system consisting of 4 RF-35s, 1 RC-35, and 1 RW-12 sub to a new 7.1 system. I currently have 3 of my new speakers, a RC-64 center and a pair of RB-81s I was going to use for SBL and SBR. I am planning on adding a pair of RF-83s, and RS-62s, plus the RT-12D sub to finish out the system. I am waiting on my new receiver (Pioneer SC-07) to arrive this week and was playing around with speaker placement with my old receiver this evening, and long story short, I hooked the RB-81s up as my fronts and was blown away. I had previously hooked up the RB-81s as my fronts but was not impressed with them, and rehooked a pair of my 35s as fronts. My old receiver has been acting up lately, and I did a hard reset of the receiver when I was messing around so I don't know if this had something to do with it, but the RB-81s are clearly superior to the 35s which I did not feel before....My question is, how much better in sound quality are the RF-83s to the RB-81s. I understand that the RF-83s are clearly larger, move more air, and have more power... but I don't drive my speakers very hard, and was amazed at the detail the 81s showed tonight with music. I also was impressed with how well they matched the RC-64 center. The 64 is a monster, but the 81s held up just fine. For those of you who have the 83s, I guess I just want some reassurance that the sound fidelity is worth the extra money since I was blown away by the 81s. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Moderators

I have not demoed the 81's but have listened to the 82's at Best Buy (not the ideal setup). The 83's are amazing speakers. They have incredible bass output, clarity and dynamics. One thing that I love about the 83's over my previous CF-2's is that they are tall. This allows the sound to be a wall of sound (if that makes sense). It envelopes around me. I can crank the 83's with my Onkyo and they just laugh at me saying, "is that all you've got"? They can get extremely loud and still remain crystal clear. One final thought...they are georgeous speakers (especially in cherry finish). I cannot speak for the 81's but I know that you cannot go wrong with the 83's. If you can find a local dealer to check them out, definitely do so and see for yourself which you prefer. Let your ears and your budget be your guide. Good luck.

Thanks for your input. In a home theater setup I plan on using a sub so while I know the 83s have great bass extension, with a sub will I even be using it? The 81s have incredible clarity and dynamics which is why I was asking about how they compare to 83s. I do know what you mean about the wall of sound, so I think the 83s win there since the 81s are just large bookshelf units. As for cranking up the volume. I don't listen to music at high levels very often so that isn't much of an issue. I have actually listened to the 83s a few times, but not with the 81s. That is why I am hoping for some feedback. If the 81s have the same dynamics and range minus the bass (which I will get via a sub) then I am having a hard time justifing the price of the 83s over the 81s.

If you don't plan to play loud... I mean really loud...your other option is to look at RF-82's. It is the flatest speaker of the Ref IV line. It would give you as much impact from transients compared to the 83 or 63 but at moderate loud level it is very accurate. It is similar to the 81 also but a little flatter in the midrange.

Let me ask it this way, take a piece of music, say classical the Planets by Holst. Besides enveloping me in a wall of sound, will the 83s reveal more detail in the music than the 81s if I use a sub? Money isn't an object here, I was planning on getting the 83s, but I was just so impressed with the 81s last night and all through today, that I am trying to figure out if I should just buy two more pair of 81s, or go with my original plan. I have looked at all the specs on the different speakers but they don't really tell me anything. I checked out the 82s when I listened to the 83s, and the 83s were much better in my opinion. When I listened to the 83s before, I was very impressed, but what I heard out of the 81s sound very good if not better...which is why I am having second thoughts. More feedback would be appreciated if anyone else has something to add please!

• Moderators

The place you demoed the RF-83's, do they have the RB-81's there too? If so, ask them to setup the 81's in the room the 83's are in and let you A/B them side by side. Then make your decision whether the 83's are worth the extra money.

Anyone else have any feeback on the 83s? While I appreciate the go with what you think sounds best mantra, with all due respect, it doesn't always work. I don't buy based on popular opinion by any means, but listening is very subjective and I don't have the luxury of time anymore to demo and figure out which are better. Your mood and a whole host of factors determine what you hear and don't hear at any given time. In my case I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old at home, so I am lucky to get to sit down and listen to one cd a week uninterrupted in a critical listening environment. I have listened to the 81s and the 83s which is why I am in this quandry. I was hoping some long term 83s listeners could give me some insight into whether the 83s really do have a better dynamic sound over the 81s at reasonable volumes. I would think they would have too, but I just didn't hear it, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't hear it down the road when I have more time to appreciate music again. As for going back to where I heard the 83s, unforunately the store in question went out of business earlier this year. I don't think it would have helped much anyway since their listening enviroment wasn't setup in a very good fashion. Every speaker upgrade I have made has increased the 'resolution' of the music I listen to. I just want to make sure this upgrade does the same.

• Moderators

I wish I could offer more help in regards to the 83's. I do not even come close to being an audiophile. I do not know how to describe depth, soundstage, dynamics, etc. I've heard the terms but maybe do not quite understand how to hear these. All I can say is the 83's are very lively, clear, low bass extension and totally rock my world. That's simple terms that I understand. LOL. I know there are some other 83 owners here. You guys pitch in and help a brother out.

In my case I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old at home, so I am lucky to get to sit down and listen to one cd a week uninterrupted in a critical listening environment.

I think you have just answered your own question. How often would you get to truely enjoy the more expensive and maybe better 83's? I would go with the 81's if you enjoy them just as much, and have a "young" family that demands more of your time. Sounds like you wouldnt miss not getting the 83's. Just my opinion.

I just recently purchase my 83's and are happy with them so far. I wasn't sure what to expect since this was my first high-end audio purchase, so I can't really compare to anything except the Paridigm Monitor series I demoed. I don't recall the 83's having as much detail or maybe its mid bass (Paradigm has mid bass woofer), but that may be due to my receiver settings and the fact its a 300 dollar yami system. The 83's have tons of bass for an 8 inch woofer, but nothing too low like you'd get out of a sub...I was watching War of the Worlds today and was surprised at how low they will go. Music sounds good (tech, pop, rock, jazz, reggae) on these things and the sound stays clear as you turn them up. If size and money aren't problems for you, then I'd go with the 83's. If you already have a sub woofer and need to save cash, then I'd probably go with the other (actually I'd probably just buy the 83's, but thats me).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I have a pair of rf-83 and with the denon 3805 I had little to no bass... When I added the xti-1000 crown amp, I played it and after the music session I realized that the I forgot to turn the subwoofer off. Its that good with lots of current.

Nice! External amps definitely help improve the bottom end of the RF-83's. I have experienced that first hand when I borrowed a QSC amp. I even had descent bass at low volumes too which I do not get without an external amp.

Ok, heres my chime...

Throughout this hobby I did own a pair of RF-83 at one point but now find myself with a pair of RB-81, which I find very pleasing to listen to. They are (*insert beeslyism) "smoothly dynamic" if that makes any sense. TheRF-83 are a whole lot of speaker, and if space and finances are in your favor, well go for it. However, having owned both I agree that the RB-81 fit the bill beyond measure. I noticed they are not as harsh as the RB-5II, sound flatter than the RB-35 (Proffessor Thump correct me if my hearing is in disagreement with the response curves), and throw out a large + accurate soundstage. They get louder than I would ever want to subject my ears to (and I like it loud) and would break-up/distort far after my eardrums went. Can't go wrong with either, but I am not letting go of my RB-81.

-Pat