Calling all tube-a-holics...Questions for you.

JCturboT

mdeneen,

Answering your questions...

Yes-that is the asking price for the Dynanco amp &preamp.

Onto the Scott- if you go to www.hhscott.com and go to product gallery then click on scott kits and then finally click onto amps you will see this amp I am looking at.It appears to use the 7189A/EL-84 output tubes you tube guys lust over cwm16.gif

Judging from you Boss 302 comments earlier and you Chevy comment in the last post I would take it you bleed Ford blue right?I used to be a Auto Technican for years(a PC way of saying Auto Mechanic I guess)and I've for the most part favored GM products having owned and worked on my fair share.This is not to say I dislike other makes as I grew up with my brothers love of Mopars and my other friends Mustangs-ridden in quite a few 440 6-packs and modded 'Stangs thru the years but now drive "dare I say it" a German car-a Volkswagen Corrado SLC.Probably the best all around car I've ever owned but I still miss the days of big blocks and burnin' rubber!!

Jeff

The Scott LK-48 is indeed their kit amp the resembles the very popular 222C or the 299 depending (the later onw is the B version). It does use 7189 tube which is very much like an EL-84 (6BQ5) but run at a higher plate voltage. Sovtek and a few others make tubes that will sub here but the voltage (unless modified) is set for the 7189. I have heard of a lot of people running the more robust EL-84s here. The Scott LK-48 has a good reputation and many like Scott. Personally, I wouldnt go this route, however. The beast has 11 tubes (4)12AX7, (2)6U8/6GH8, (4)7189, (1)5AR4/GZ34 as the rectifier. This just might be more than you can chew here.

Personally, I dont know if I would go either of these routes as the Dynaco 70, in all probability, is going to need mods to make it sound up to date. They are very lush and warm sounding amps with not the deepest bass. You will more than likely want to mod these and the Dynaco had those funky circuit boards. I actually think there are other amps that have all point to point wiring that are even more simple. Still, if you see any of them, and they strike your fancy...well, perhaps you want to take the chance.

I will say their are other options that I would persue if in your shoes. Yet, if you SEE these amps and give them a listen and they light your fire, then GREAT.

The Dynaco ST-70 and PAS(*) will definitely be VERY tube-like in the traditional sense. Realize the some of these qualities are what make the SS group dislike tubes. There are other tube choices that are not quite so "tubey" sounding but still with the tube soul.

Give the amps a look though and see what you think. See if they will plug the Dynaco gear up for a test drive...

kh

ps- this post was a bit rambling... but you get my drift perhaps. It sure will get you in the tube park... but will also include some of the tube foibles. The 7189 is close enough to the EL-84 to be a sub. Listen, if you could possibly audition both of these offerings, you would be one up on a lot buying by trust and ebay. See if it's possible.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-06-2002 at 10:58 PM

hf-22.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1329516038

JCT.. I found a pair of monoblocks that look really intriguing to me and would MORE than fit the power bill. The output iron on these is top notch and they can be modified to accept all sorts of different circuits too. Indeed, these amps STOCK will really probably float your boat. It's a pair of EICO HF-22 amps. These are beasts and would get your Cornwalls MOVIN'!

It's on ebay right now with a few days left. In the 250 range but will be going up. The guy ran these on a pair of Cornwalls so he will be some good info on how they mate. I dont think they would go TOO high but know they are well worth it.

Go take a look. They use the 6L6 power tubes with the EF86 & 6SN7 and the 5U4 as the rectifier. Very simple, simple circuit that would be easy to fool with. And the iron is quality. In addition, there are a boat load of modern 6L6 tubes made by Svetlana, Sovtek, JJ, Tesla, etc. And the NOS is excellent! This tube is used in a ton of guitar amps so is all over the place. I tend to prefer the pentode EL-34 to the Beam Tetrode 6L6/6550 type... but this type of circuit can be wired in triode quite easily. And as said, you can even use most of the parts (iron) here to do various circuits, such as 2A3 push pull which more than a few have liked. At the very least, you could experiment by connecting these tubes in triode mode since you are running the Cornwalls....

If you could see the wiring on these you would freak. It is SOOO simple inside. Almost all space and point to point wiring with room to see. Makes a modern piece of gear look like a Chinese puzzle! It's like looking into the engine bay of a 63 Chevy with a straight six! You could SLEEP IN THERE!

Take a look. Your Cornwalls would be dancing with these... you good at EBay?

kh

ps - I would email the guy ASAP. Tell him you have Cornwalls and want to begin the tube journey. See what he says. Very lucky that he ran these with CW so will know a bit...even though they ARE the latter Model II...

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-07-2002 at 01:17 AM

creek2.jpg

And he is selling another component I really like a lot. It is a remote controlled version of the CREEK passive preamp called the OBH-12. IF you hit my ALTERNATE COMPONENTS link down below, you will see mine with a description. It is EXTREMELY transparent and works great with the Cornwalls. The remote operates out of the audio circuit so doenst affect sonics. About the cheapest transparent option. And this is the same seller that ran this with the EICOs and the Cornwall II. I turned the face around on my unit so it's all BLACK (in case you are wondering where the green writing is).

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1329521216

------------------

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-07-2002 at 12:21 AM

Too all those into messing with these amps, here are some excellent notes on modifying (as well as building replicas) all sorts of vintage gear. This is really an excellent set of links and should be bookmarked by all those interested in these vintage amplifiers using classic circuits such as Williamson and Mullard! Take a walk around...

http://www.triodeel.com/eeghkh.htm

kh

CD Player Rega Planet

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-07-2002 at 09:50 AM

Mobile-

You have always had interesting posts about Tubes, which, i'm sure, has gotten more then one forum member interested in tubes. But, I do have a few questions....

1.) You have stated before that tubes are not as "plug & play" as SS, what kind of "extra work" do tubes require to ensure excellent sound?

2.) Most of your recomendations center around the heritage speakers, have you tried tubes on the newer reference series? Would your recomendations of the Bottlehead, Wright, & Moondog tubes change for the reference series. For the reference series, would you still recomend a 2A3 or would the 300Bs be "necessary" due to the lower sensitivity?

-Thanks

Dave

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

Mobile,

Did you catch the selling price on those Eico monoblocks?They sold for $500.00 big ones!I had talked to(e-mailed)the seller and got the scoop on these ealier.He was very informative and wrote me back twice about them, but thats more than I want to spend at this moment.I had to rescedule the meeting with the gent with the Dyanco ST70 and still waiting to hear the Scott so if you (or anyone) has any leads on anything else by all means let me know.

Thanks!Jeff

Sadly, those EICO were easily worth $500...indeed, think what you can get for $500 in audio??? A jolida? Those same amps if made today would be over $1500. It's just that people dont realize it. Those things would have been well worth $500 considering you would be paying for a stereo 70 at $350 or so and those were monoblocks with better iron. Too bad. Wish someone from here had gotten them.

kh

• 4 weeks later...

Well,Its been a while since I've posted anything on my tube amp hunt as I've recently had some car problems.My low mileage Corrado SLC started making some strange noises in the driveline coming home from work recently and as I pulled into my driveway I was greeted with a puddle of tranmission gear oil!It appears something let go inside my trans and bore a hole through the trans case-so much for a rebuild.

Anyway after finally fixing the car I pulled into work and was greeted by a co-worker saying he has the Scott amp from the gentleman we talked to earlier out back as well as a tube tuner.I looked over both of them-very clean-just lots of dust from sitting and asked him what he wanted for them.He said I could HAVE them for FREE!The owner just wants to get them out of his house-Finally something going my way for a change.

I took them home and inspected them over quickly and it looks like they're both in excellent condition.Faceplates both mint,all lettering ledgable,factory covers on both.

The amp is a Scott LK-48 (looks just like NOS440s 222C)All the tubes say Scott on them except for the 4 7189s which say TELE

FUN

KEN Made in West Germany- any comments about these??

The tuner is a Scott 350C but I haven't pulled the cover off yet so I don't know it inside condition.The owner stated one of the tubes it bad on the amp but otherwise they are both fine and have been in use recently.

So guys...any suggestions and/or comments?

Jeff

JCturboT

Well you found a couple jewels there and now I get to payback all the help MDeneen gave me with my Scott. Between MDeneen and I we can turn those into some sweet sounding peices. I have everything you will need in the Schematic department don't buy a thing. I'll either make you copies and mail them to you or scan them and email. Mailing them will turn out better ask MDeneen Smile.gif.

Keep us up to date when you ready to start working on them units. Start with the Amp first as I havn't started on my turner yet except replacing all the week tubes which helped it Alot. It's funny you have the Kit version of my Amp and I have the kit version of your Tuner the LT-110B. The HH Scott website is a endless resource of restore Info but most of the people over there are collectors and don't care for us Improver restorer types.

What is it you want to do with these units ??

Have you fired them up yet ??

If your going to try and start them up you really should either buy a Variac to lower the voltage and try to get the Caps to reform or run a Lamp in series with a 100watt than 75 watt and so on for at least a 1hr each and watch the tubes for the cherry sindrome Smile.gif. Especially if they have sat unused for years this is real Important

Do you have a Vom ?? any experience with this type of electrical curcuits ??

Mdeneen schooled me to one fact that I now I take very seriously a Amp can work and sound real good and still have things wrong with it that can really damage things in long run so if it fires up and works fine still have it checked out real good or check it all yourself. MDeneen , Mobile and Myself will I'm sure be more than happy to help you though the ordeal.

MY 222C is sounding awesome and that is a under statement to say the least.

Oh and I can't believe the deal you got!! I paid 225.00 for my amp alone. Did you get cases with this deal. I hope not that might send me over the Edge Wink.gif

Craig

For Free is obviuosly a fine price. The LK series is the KIT version, meaning someone has put this together besides the factory. I think LK-48 is the kit version of the 222C. There is an LK-48B version as well as the regular LK-48.

Here is the complete service bulletin for the 222-C and LK-48 including tips/parameters/specs and schematic. It's a GREAT doc for DC Balance and much user info:

http://hhscott.com/pdf/222C_LK48B.pdf

Here is a link to the LK-48B version schematic

http://hhscott.com/pdf/LK48B.pdf

The Scott website is one of the best on the net for info. http://hhscott.com/

Quite a free haul.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-08-2002 at 07:18 PM

Well, get those from Craig too. But I would DEFINITELY download that first document I listed as it has some good service info. The schematic can be exploaded but is not as helpful off the computer. Ultimately, you could order the full manual and schematic online or get a full copy from Craig. You see the originals go up on Ebay as well. That is wher I did to get an original for my vintage pieces.

kh

I had an opportunity to pick up one of those passive Creek OBH-12 preamps that mh has referred to in some of these threads. I have had mine since around Christmas, but I never even put it into my system because I was so pleased with the AES AE-3 Superpreamp.

Well for some reason I decided to give the little Creek a listen tonight. It blew me away with the quality of the sound! Now I called this a "little Creek" because it really is tiny. I have had many preamps in the past, and my AE-3 was by far the smallest in size and weight. Many of you have seen the photos mh has posted of his Creek with the "stone mod" but here is a shot to give the size of the preamp some perspective:

http://www.mindspring.com/~edwhitesell/ae3creek10.jpg

(I apologize for the quality of the shot but my basement is quite dark).

Notice the position of the volume dial...this is giving me 75-80dB SPL on average at my listening position ~18' back. When I turn the volume up (using the remote!) to ~2 o'clock I am getting high 80's to mid/upper 90dB's and it sounds awesome, it really lets the 2A3's in the Moondogs blossom.

I have only listened to the Creek for about an hour after letting it warm up for about an hour, but I am thoroughly impressed. I am going to be doing some serious listening via the Creek over the next few days to see if my initial impression fades.

For y'all that are looking for preamps to go with your new (or old) tube amps, you might want to give this ~$150 SS preamp a listen while you are looking for that "perfect" tube preamp. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Now I know I am going to have to have a remote added to my AES AE-3...

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connects

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

passive_choice2.jpg

I have recommended this preamp MANY times in this and other forums. It is one of the few cheap components that can deliever near state of the art sound if your equipment meets the specs. If you are in a preamp quagmire, this little "used" $150 or so piece of gear is excellent as long as you

A. Have a source with a 2V or more output and a good power supply. It has to drive the load.

B. A meter or less of quality interconnects as much longer will roff off the highs.

C. An amplifier that is sensitive enough to be driven by this unit. The input sensitivity does need to relatively high to reach good volume.

D. A revealing system with most of the other foibles worked out. This is where things like equalizers and other electronic additions take away from what this piece offers.

E. Sensitive speakers help as well, giving you more play with the volume. My Moondogs and CW get very loud at 2 0 Clock with the Rega.

As Ed said, a good passive can rreally be a very revealing piece that will not color your high quality amplification, whether tube or solid state. It will be easier to hear the difference with IC here as well. The little Creek has NO balance and only a few inputs with a tape loop. Nothing more. It's a VERY simple circuit and the exact opposite of a receiver loaded with buttons, pots, tone controls, etc. It offers a VERY transparent glimpse. The remote control motor is OUT of the circuit when active. And remember, the passive only really attenuates the volume - it does not have an ACTIVE gain stage; in other words, there is no amplification going on here.

Ultimately, however, I think a high quality, revealing tube preamp will bring out the dynamics and bloom of the music a bit more. I find the quality tube preamp more musical and more dynamic. But the passive actually has more quiet between the notes and does not fill in the silence, an aspect that is just as important. I switch them depending on mood.

I recommend BOTH to have on hand.

Ed, you need to do the most important mod! Turn the face plate around! heh... BTW, the main reason you see the creek rock (from Northern CA) is to WEIGH the little beast down with the rather stiff interconnects!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-08-2002 at 11:17 PM