In response to Dave Mallette's pipe organ recordings...

jt1stcav

For anyone whose interested in music for the pipe organ, I've now got 4 MP3 music files up on my website of the pipe organ my dad built for our home back in '83 (sadly, now sold). The recording isn't the best quality soundwise, but you get the idea of what 19 ranks sounded like. The organ was "played" by a computer sequencer performing MIDI music files I arranged and edited myself (since I'm not an organist). The MIDI files weren't totally refined yet, but my dad wanted to record the organ up to that point so his out-of-town friends could hear what it was capable of.

http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/myorganmusic.htm

You can also click on my sig's banner below and see the entire site, or read up on the organ pages only. If y'all are up to it, comments are certainly welcome.

FWIW...enjoy!

Jim,

That is awesome Simply amazing and mind boggling. Sounded pretty good to me on our worn out Dell laptop.... wonder if our model has the 2" "subwoofer"....

I hope the new owners has your family over to hear your Dad's organ once installed. That's one amazing do it yourself project. I'll have to hook the laptop up to some speakers and listen again ... even if it's only the iGroove SXT sitting next to me on the desk [:$] (now why didn't I do that instead of listening through the junky laptop speakers... sometimes I'm so clueless)

I'll have to show that to my Dad's fiance who plays a very small pipe organ at her church.

Ben

Thanks for the kind words, Ben. It was great while it lasted...maybe someday our paths will meet again once the organ's installed in its new home.

Glad you enjoyed the music files. I'm sure your dad's fiance will get a kick out of hearing them (glad to hear she plays a pipe organ too).

I think she'll also enjoy seeing the pictures. I've not really paid too much attention but I think the pipe organ she plays is very small with most of the pipes, at least the exposed ones shoved into a cabinet. But her church did have it refurbished a couple of years ago and she was thrilled. I'll have to have her show it to us the next time we visit. I think your Dad's is quite a bit more ambitious. And the fact that he decided he wanted one and learned how and then did it is very inspirational.

I really hope you and your family get to see and hear your Dad's organ again. That was one beautiful instrument built out of a lot of hard work, love, and ingenuity. And the added MIDI control so you could play it better than you can play the organ was way cool and a stroke of genius. I'm surprised on one else has commented. Goosebumps if it also included MIDI recording capabilities... similar to the disclavier pianos - maybe even the same thing? Though MIDI for a pipe organ seems more complex than piano with all the different stops and everything.

Might not be commerciallly viable, but if you have enough photos and notes a book detailing the project could be fascinating. Sounds like your Dad was very creative in solving some of the problems he encountered and created a true work of art.

Jim, I had also forgotten just how cool pipe organs sound. Time to dig out the vinyl pipe organ album(s) I have... not sure, I'm pretty sure I have at least one Virgil Fox album and can't remember if I have any more or not.

MEIN GOTT EM HIMMEL!

Alright, I want a redbook. I also want to know PRECISELY how you recorded this, and I mean drawings if you cannot describe properly. Mikes? Preamp? Tape or digital? I just listened via stream from the old MBS-5 without even saving. Extraordinary. And I am saying this of a 128kpbs MP-3 file shortly after listening to the Fox Crystal Clear...

What a magnificent instrument. Why are you doing this to me???? Any chance the new owner would be interested in a recording?

Damnation Jim. I can certainly feel your pain, as I have shared your joy.

Any of the rest of you who've not checked out this link should do so or just continue listening to your Don Ho collection or whatever.

Dave

Wowee. Equal to the best mp3 I've ever heard. By the way, I read your record setup info. Perfect. There is at least as much ambience as a near field organ setup and probably about as good as you are going to get in a house. I don't think the Fox recordings, given they were done near field exhibit much more space info.

Total kudos! I'll play them for the Frazier/Klipsch gathering. I DO want a 16/44.1 copy though.

I presume you still have the MIDI files. When I get a Hauptwerke setup again I'll want those as well. Just send me the wav files and the MIDI on a data disk.

Dave

Thanks everyone...I appreciate the kind words from highly regarded audiophiles such as yourselves! I'd like to add more MP3s to my music page, but I really don't have the room available unless I switch to a premium service, and I can't really afford that right now (free is good, so my limited bandwidth website with ads will have to do for now).