Houston, East Texas Audiophiles: The Battle of the Titans date is...

Mallette

Well, I am not going to start it here, but I think a rematch in the spring may be in order. I'll keep you informed, Jim, and will expect you and the Baldwin. Between now and then I am going to get a few of these folks here when I can talk Brian (and his wife, who is increaseinly fascinating from his description) down for a "visitor driven" mess around with these Elevens. I don't think I have them remotely right yet. Don't get me wrong...I don't think they'll ever "smoke" the mighty Klipschorn, but I DO believe they can turn in a better performance than the guys gave them this time.

Rematch: Battle of the Titans II coming next year.

Dave

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

I know that there are probably pics of the Fraziers in the FUG thread, but could you post a pic or two of these models for other to see without wading through the other thread? Were you in any of the pics you posted? You are slacking off!

Bruce

I'l post one when I get home this evening.

I remain convinced that I failed to get these properly ready for such an event. For one thing, I found one major foobar. I'd inserted a little box single parametric EQ that was bumping the bass about 6db at 50hz and down. Dummy. Fun to play with, but that is likely responsible for Paul and those who were finding the very low end less than tight. It's also rather unforgivable in what should have been a very tightly controlled test.

So, before I do the rematch in the spring, I intend to get as many of these guys back to purely mess with the system with various amps, positions, etc. to get them where they want to be. I am lousy at that, because I just wind up descending into the music and it all sounds wonderful and the next thing I know it's morning.

I do not expect them to every surpass the mighty Klipschorn, but I do believe they can get very close indeed.

Dave

By request from Jim Tidwell. Rick Rigler (tubesnhorns) dropped by yesterday to pick up his magic barrel and Seduction phono stage and we discussed having a session with pauln sometime to monkey with amps, placement, etc. In spite of the unamimous verdict for Klipschorn as king the margin wasn't huge and the issues involved may be more related to position, source, and amplification than design. The PAW is repainting the room, hence the drop cloths and such.

post-9494-13819418649372_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Jeff:
Hmm... I suppose I was being nice. Not sure why with a room full of hornheads. I've driven them to 106db on several occasions, but that is about as far as I go in deference to hearing damage, and even then usually only for a short time. I am certainly not worried about the 'horns as long as they are fed clean power, and either of those amps has an excess of headroom for them to reach pretty intolerable levels in that room. Bring the Crown next time and let's play LOUD!

Peak was about 96db.

Dave

I've brought them to 128dB. I will bring my Crown, but will not push them that hard. It'd probably scare you. [:P] BTW: It's not fair to the KHorns to have them in the smaller room. They belong in the big room where they can sing. But moving everything would be a royal pain.

I'll not forget the world's best Santana tracks, either. I was in such a rush last time.